The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 I need to man up...

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Volvagia Posted - 24/11/2011 : 22:33:53
Hey guys,

After some quick advice when I posted pictures of my corn (Volvagia)I left him for a while to let him settle into his vivarium. It's been two weeks now (perhaps I should leave him longer?) and throughout that time I had to change his hide from a completely hollow fake-rock, because once he went in there I had no chance of getting him out again, to a hide with nothing at the bottom so I can easily just pick it up, and there he is.

Anyway, with some prompting from a work mate who has corn snakes himself, he told me it's time to start picking Volvy up daily to get him used to being handled. He eats perfectly fine and in good condition - so no blame to the pet store I got him from. My problem is that, obviously, I'm such a wimp with the guy - even worse than I thought I'd be.

I have a thick glove I wear on my "picking up hand" and yesterday, after Volvy started moving around, I was able to eventually pick him up although he was very jittery. Today I tried again. I think Volvy has picked up that I'm nervous, as today he was far more defensive and even when my hand wasn't near him he striked at me. Today I also noticed he wasn't in a low position when he struck; he actually raised himself and I was thinking "oh, crap..." I guess he won today; he's slivered into his new hide to congratulate himself.

Anyway, it's not the pain of the bite that scares me. What gets me is the sudden-ness of his movement and today, how he actually raised himself to give himself a higher striking position - I certainly think he's picked up on my nerves.

Are there any tips on relaxing him further, or building confidence, etc? I've tried looking throughout the internet for some advice but still nothing. Perhaps I need to leave him alone a bit longer to settle in? One last thing: he is not a hatchling, but he is still pretty small so must be afew months old; you can maybe guess his age based on his pictures in the pics forum.

Cheers guys.
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Volvagia Posted - 07/12/2011 : 16:41:39
Haha, I used to have a rat who was ultra friendly. Volvy is just reaaally nervous and does at times still shy away from being picked up, but he's getting there. I must be blessed with model pets! Eats like a machine, healthy, all you want in a corn snake. :) Still waiting for his first shed but I'm sure it'll come.

Thanks again!
Kath Posted - 07/12/2011 : 16:36:55
Glad to hear you've got over your nerves Vol!! I was same when we got Cornelius, scared of picking him up in case I frightened / hurt him or he tried to bite or strike at me (which he hasn't done).

Over time, just like Cornelius does now, you'll put your hand in his viv & he'll slither straight onto it & away you go!

I always feel privileged when he does that because he obviously has grown to trust us!

Good luck!
Volvagia Posted - 07/12/2011 : 16:26:43
Think it's safe to say I've got over the nerves. Sometimes I still need to make him move a little before picking him up (doesn't hurt him) but now I usually just go in there, pick him up, and bingo! Thanks a lot guys for the advice and, most of all, your patience!
Okeetee Mick Posted - 03/12/2011 : 17:51:56
Glad the advice helped, it certainly worked for us
Daniel_G Posted - 02/12/2011 : 10:55:19
I've been too lazy to read all the comments on this post, but from what i've learnt from the guy at the reptile shop near me, you should just go straight in a grab it. If you hesitate, and start moving you hand in a jittery sort of way, then it'll be more likely to strike.

I've held quite a few, and once you grab em' and slow em' down, they aren't likely to strike. Just don't restrict their movement too much.
Katie.Dublin Posted - 01/12/2011 : 21:39:57
quote:
Originally posted by jonoandapril

yeah, its not a full grown one lol, he has been bitten by it a couple of times and is still confident to handle. he is supervised at all times.

Guys take a chill pill! Obviously the child isn't FORCED to hold the snake! Im not getting images of a little boy locked in a viv lol. What's the harm in him getting a little nip. Puppies and kittens rip the hands off kids when they're playing! No need for dramatics :)
smart bunny Posted - 01/12/2011 : 20:54:17
Yay, nice one
scottishbluebird Posted - 01/12/2011 : 16:36:00
Bet you had a huge grin lol! Next time someone posts that they are a teeny bit nervous, you can help them! Have you done a handling pic yet? but i do believe you! would just like to see the pic
Sta~ple Posted - 01/12/2011 : 09:37:17
I've had baby corns still in eggies break my skin on my hand and fingers before lol

You just have to keep at it :) Well done.
stuart619 Posted - 01/12/2011 : 07:37:43
It seems that you are developing a bond there Volvagia. That all you need really. You will get to know your snakes mood and be able to read him without even opening the viv and at the same time he will get use to you.

Well done on the progress. Keep it up
Volvagia Posted - 01/12/2011 : 00:30:33
Lol bugger, today I handled him about four different times as I think someone here posted that if you did it that many times per day for a week then they settle down really quickly. Anyway, much more confident after today; Volvy by the fourth time was even slivering through my fingers, whereas before he was too cautious to.

Feel sorry for the wee guy though, he'll get more peace tomorrow! Cheers guys, been a massive help - Volvy will send his regards too. :)
mikerichards Posted - 30/11/2011 : 20:37:50
good effort, one thing though, try not to be too tentative, just pick up, dont touch beforehand, just nice and smooth, one action, in pick up. I am confident that if you do that, he will never bite you, unless you have a raging monster of a snake!
scottishbluebird Posted - 30/11/2011 : 20:13:44
well done! just once or twice a day, just for a few mins a time, up by an extra few mins after a week
paulie78 Posted - 30/11/2011 : 19:19:25
Perseverence is the key volvy keep it up mate and keep us posted
adamasrc Posted - 30/11/2011 : 18:29:17
sounds like you're making good progress
Volvagia Posted - 30/11/2011 : 17:41:31
Managed to pick him up earlier today. I touched him gently and that triggered him to slither away, so I quickly picked him up and had him handled. I'll try again later tonight; how frequently should I handle him per day per hour to get him used to me?

Also, afew nights back my roomie got him out and we put him in his feeding box. Ate two pinkies right away. He eats like a horse! Well, a snake, but you get the idea... heck of a happy eater.
ozziesmum Posted - 30/11/2011 : 16:43:34
Volvagia, I can almost hear you saying "a lot easier said than done", I was in a similar situation as you are now but with mine there were 2 living in one viv and both at 2.5 - 3 feet long and neither had been handled for months and I wasn't just wary of snakes I was terrified and only rescued them to help someone out, and yes each time I slid the viv door open to check they were alright I got greeted by 4 beady little eyes watching my every move pooing my pants became a very real possibility but I had agreed to take them on and it was my responsibilty to do my best for them. I won't say that I wasn't hissed at, tail rattled at and even struck at numerous times in the first few days but not once did either of them make any attempt to bite and they could have done easily, but in the end I just had to bite the bullet and go for it, I live on my own so no one else was going to do it for me. What helped for my 2 was every time I went into the room for whatever reason I made a point of always opening the vivs and talking to them both and then putting my hands in as well so that they knew my voice and smell. The first few times are going to be hard for you but you'll feel so proud of yourself once you've done it they'll be no stopping you.
Red123 Posted - 30/11/2011 : 14:36:07
Back to the original post, How is it going Volvagia? Have you handled him as yet? Believe me he is alot more scarred of you than you of him! Just be calm and don't think about what you are doing. Have your mate there with you and just talk about anything to take your mind off what you are doing. Good Luck.
mikerichards Posted - 30/11/2011 : 14:14:02
quote:
Originally posted by jonoandapril

righto guys, lets grip this before it gets out of hand.
the carpet in question is smaller than any of the other snakes i have, even the younger corn. it is also easier to handle as its a climber. when it struck it didnt leave a mark, draw blood or break any teeth. i wasnt talking about a strike yesterday, or even in the last couple of months. it was a one off where the kid learned that the snake wasnt happy, and he doesnt get in its face any more. incidently, at the time the snake was taken away straight away and my lad wasnt allowed to handle for a few days (despite asking). there was no latching on or anything like that or obviously he would not be handling any more at all.
do you really think id allow my child to be exposed to serious danger with a snake that bites all the time? obviously if he was getting nipped all the time i wouldnt let him hold it anymore, but he doesnt because he is more confident (and learned a valuable lesson of not putting your face in a snakes), and the snake is more relaxed.
cheers for your concern, and im sorry if it sounded like i was letting my kid get mauled by an 8 foot killing machine, but it just isnt the case. all i was trying to say is that even after a nip, even a child is still eager to handle.
cheers for the debrief guys, just what i needed.

Didnt break the skin eh?
I have been bitten more times than i care to remember by out of the egg carpet pythons, baby royal pythons, baby burmese pythons, all days, if not hours old, the one thing they all had in common, every single one of them, is that they broke the skin, every time without fail.

Sorry, but i think you are trying to save face.
jonoandapril Posted - 30/11/2011 : 09:52:01
righto guys, lets grip this before it gets out of hand.
the carpet in question is smaller than any of the other snakes i have, even the younger corn. it is also easier to handle as its a climber. when it struck it didnt leave a mark, draw blood or break any teeth. i wasnt talking about a strike yesterday, or even in the last couple of months. it was a one off where the kid learned that the snake wasnt happy, and he doesnt get in its face any more. incidently, at the time the snake was taken away straight away and my lad wasnt allowed to handle for a few days (despite asking). there was no latching on or anything like that or obviously he would not be handling any more at all.
do you really think id allow my child to be exposed to serious danger with a snake that bites all the time? obviously if he was getting nipped all the time i wouldnt let him hold it anymore, but he doesnt because he is more confident (and learned a valuable lesson of not putting your face in a snakes), and the snake is more relaxed.
cheers for your concern, and im sorry if it sounded like i was letting my kid get mauled by an 8 foot killing machine, but it just isnt the case. all i was trying to say is that even after a nip, even a child is still eager to handle.
cheers for the debrief guys, just what i needed.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000