The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Increase to two pinkies??

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Kath Posted - 22/11/2011 : 12:33:22
Hi,

Cornelius is 4 months old, weighs 10g & is about 15" long.

Tonight will be his 7th feed with us (1 pinky) & they are leaving a slight bulge but not very noticeable. He hasn't put any weight on since we've had him.

Should we be trying him with 2 pinkies now & if so, do we still feed him every 5 days??

Also, if 2 pinkies go down well (so to speak), how long until we go upto fuzzies?

I've read the Munson Plan & it says to start giving your snake double pinkies at 16g but with 1 pinky, Cornelius might never get upto 16g! (Don't want him putting loads of weight on tho' & ending up a fatty).

Many thanks in advance.
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kath Posted - 23/11/2011 : 10:34:28
ok thx for your help Simmy.
Simmy_82 Posted - 22/11/2011 : 14:26:31
There is also a shop called Banisters Tel: 0161 456 9739. Is on Lisburne Lane? Give both a call and see what you can find out. Local pet shops are generally more helpful than P@H
Kath Posted - 22/11/2011 : 14:12:54
Ok brill thx Simmy, yep still in Stockport. We'll pay them a visit. Thx again.
Kath Posted - 22/11/2011 : 14:06:30
I'm gonna look now & see if I can find any other local pet shops. Thx
Simmy_82 Posted - 22/11/2011 : 14:01:04
5 days is fine as far as i am aware. But i've always fed mine at 7days intervals with no problems.

No other pet shops locally?

EDIT: Order online isnt cost effective if you havent got more than one or two snakes. But its up to you.

EDIT 2: Pet shop in Marple sells frozen foods(assuming you still live in stockport).
http://www.petshopsinstockport.co.uk/
Kath Posted - 22/11/2011 : 14:00:57
Just been on Evolution Reptiles website & you can order large pinkies from them. Could order a bag from them, get him used to larger pinkies then go onto fuzzies...
Kath Posted - 22/11/2011 : 13:57:56
I could go online & order pinkies but then again, I won't be able to see size of them either. There's nowhere else local I could get them from.
When we feed him 2 pinkies together, is it still every 5 days then every 7 days on fuzzies?
Thanks.
Simmy_82 Posted - 22/11/2011 : 13:55:04
Anywhere else you can get your Pinkies? If not a good idea might be to buy 10 sort them in size. Feed the larger ones first til they run out then use go up to double pinkies with two smaller ones til little or no bump is visible, then try fuzzies. Just an idea if you cant hand pick larger pinkies from another supplier.
Kath Posted - 22/11/2011 : 13:50:09
Thx guys. We have got some fuzzies because that's what the guy in shop sold us with Cornelius but it wasn't 'til we got home that we thought they were way too big for him, still looks like they are now.

We get his pinkies from Pets @ Home & some can be tiny & others a wee bit bigger. They are wrapped up individually so can't really see their size.
Simmy_82 Posted - 22/11/2011 : 13:30:45
lol lotabob. Thats what i did!
lotabob Posted - 22/11/2011 : 13:29:33
You can do. I've never used any weight guide, always gone by eye, 1.5 times the thickness of the snake and job done, next time you are at the shop ask to see the fuzzies. I also used my fingers as a size guide, Spot was about the thickness of my little finger when he went onto fuzzies so was able to compare my finger to the mouse in the shop.
Simmy_82 Posted - 22/11/2011 : 13:24:40
Munson plan is just a guide. My Snake didnt get onto double pinkies until she was 20g (19" long). At about that weight the pinkies were leaving no buldge what so ever. So i used double pinkies til i ran out of pinkies then moved up to fuzzies (Which was 3 weeks of double pinkies). However i feed mine on a 7 day feed plan (every sunday).

That said each snake is different. You may be able to source larger pinkies. Some i had varied greatly in size. Could be worth asking your supplier if you can pick your own and pick out larger ones.

As for fuzzies these are considerably bigger than pinkies, i was quite surprised. Maybe by a fuzzie too and compare it to the pinkies and to your snake (snakes prey should be 1.5x the thickest part of the snake).

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000