The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Shredded paper

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
ozziesmum Posted - 22/11/2011 : 11:28:54
Hi all,

I'm just sat here at work and I've noticed just how much shredded paper we get rid of each week so it got me wondering if it could be used as substrate for the snakes.
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
hillzi Posted - 23/11/2011 : 16:57:56
It can be used, just have to use a lot of it, and compact it too, makes life easier when the snake goes to the toilet the paper has more chance of clumping together.

A mix of substrates can work well, too.
Sta~ple Posted - 23/11/2011 : 16:23:48
We get loads as well, though it all goes for the chucks nest boxes rather than snakes thought when I did use it on snakes, had no problems apart from the long bits of shreads people gave me which are just useless! May have to nick some from the chucks now round xmas time and see if I can make 5 vivs snowy and festive :P
Tallscientist Posted - 23/11/2011 : 15:21:03
Thanks for asking, as I thought about doing that when I first got Domino but was then put off by the talk of ink being toxic. But if everyone else uses it, and there's loads produced at work, then brilliant, free substrate!
gingerpony Posted - 22/11/2011 : 20:55:03
i've had no problems with ink either and i've been using sheets of newspaper in my vivs/RUBs for years now

one thing about the shredded paper is the dust, usually towards the bottom of the shredder, might be worth binning the last few handfuls in the bottom
ozziesmum Posted - 22/11/2011 : 19:44:12
Brilliant thanks everyone I might give it a go.
Katie.Dublin Posted - 22/11/2011 : 17:53:03
yep i use paper from a cross shredder! Its really handy and its free which is always a bonus.
jonoandapril Posted - 22/11/2011 : 16:17:39
i use it for all of mine now, loads more cost effective (read 'free') and around this time of year it looks like the snakes are getting festive with winter wonderland vivs! i heard a story of the ink being bad for the snakes but that was after id started using it, and iv seen no adverse affect from it. also no risk of substrate bringing mites in from the shop!
save yourself a packet, shred your junk mail lol
Mamma Posted - 22/11/2011 : 14:13:30
I havent used it before, however I did contemplate buying a shredder and using it xx
gingerpony Posted - 22/11/2011 : 13:41:39
i use it, mainly for the Dumerils that like to bury themselves but i have used it for the corns, not as substrate but in one corner for burying/hiding in
Sta~ple Posted - 22/11/2011 : 12:44:03
I've used it before, I find it depends what kinda of shredder it's been in. Cross cuttings seem fine but the ones that aren't cross cut and shredded the pieces really long are annoying as they taffle together and make a whole area move if it gets touched if that makes any sense haha.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000