The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Heating - Confused!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
NiallP Posted - 20/11/2011 : 23:58:35
Hi again, I am confused. I have my heat mat on the side of my viv and I have the thermometer on the inside to measure how much heat the mat is giving out. On the thermometer it reads about 28/29 degrees. However, I added another one and leant it against the same piece of glass and it read (just now) 24 degrees.

I'm not sure which reading to go by, however the reading of the thermometer that is attached to the glass is what I feel is most accurate.

I have ordered a digital one anyway so this problem will be sorted in a few days, but until then I want to know your advice as you know a lot more than me and I don't want Sylar to get too warm / too cold.

Thanks in advance
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
gingerpony Posted - 21/11/2011 : 20:10:23
as said above - put a third to a half of the glass viv over the heatmat, have the stat probe either directly on the mat outside the viv or inside the viv directly above the mat. the thermometer/therm probe should be inside the viv directly above the mat and ignore the dial on the stat just turn it up or down according to the temp shown on the thermometer
eeji Posted - 21/11/2011 : 19:14:22
put it under the tank, but make sure there is some gap under the glass otherwise you risk cracking it, then your stat probe can also sit outside the viv where it can be secured properly without it accidentally moved and then your digital thermometer probe goes inside the viv under the substrate touching the glass above the mat. Ignore any markings on the stat, use the inside temperatures to calibrate it.
NiallP Posted - 21/11/2011 : 00:18:33
If I put it on the bottom though it will cover pretty much all of the viv
gmac Posted - 21/11/2011 : 00:14:08
im asuming its a glass viv, the mat isnt best placed on the side of the viv, they dont give out much ambient heat so it is best on the base of your viv.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000