The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Scenting???

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Slangenvrouwtje Posted - 20/11/2011 : 00:54:23
Have just acquired my first corn snake. It is about 3-4 years old. I've only had pythons up til now so don't really know much about corns.
I've no idea if my snake is male or female. Also quite aggressive... Getting better each day though.

My question is, when it is very... shall we say angry... when I handle it, it has been "excreting" a sticky, disgusting smelling substance. There is nothing visible, and the substance is definitely coming from the vent.

Does this only occur in one sex? Or both?
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
smart bunny Posted - 21/11/2011 : 19:50:49
Hi, sounds like your corn is MUCH better off now he's wth you :)

Sharing a viv is generally not said to be a good idea, but lots of people do it successfully - there's a HUGE thread on it here which gives both points of view :) http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1070
Slangenvrouwtje Posted - 21/11/2011 : 12:48:02
Yes, I have never smelled anything quite like it *plah!*.

Love my Royals to bits but Radu (the corn) is a lot more exciting. Couldn't believe how much faster he was than my dopey twosome.

He (I'm saying he for now, tis easier) is a lot calmer now, handling him every day and he is much more chilled out. For about 1-2 years before I got him he wasn't being handled at all, the tank he came in was mouldy and the only attention he got was when a mouse was thrown into his tank... Poor little guy :-(

LarkaDawg, thank you. YES Want more... All the pretty colours!!!! My partner wants a Lavender one :-)

He's learning that he does NOT get fed in his tank anymore, still a bit aggressive when a hand goes in to pick him up but much camler as soon as he's clear of the tank...

Overall I think I am doing ok..?

Another silly question... I have had m Royal Pythons from hatchlings and they have always lived together, one is always following the other around and they curl up together all the time... Can't help feeling a little sorry for the corn... Do they like friends? I it advisable?
gingerpony Posted - 20/11/2011 : 21:47:00
doesn't sound like typical corn behaviour but it does sound like musking in self-defence
corns are generally quite different to handle than royals, they move! and a lot quicker! make sure you're supporting it's weight as much as possible and not squeezing it to restrain it or direct where it's going
LarkaDawg Posted - 20/11/2011 : 21:14:43
quote:
Originally posted by Slangenvrouwtje

...Have just acquired my first corn snake...

Just noticed... Congratulations on your first snake! May it be the first of many!!
lotabob Posted - 20/11/2011 : 21:10:00
The only way to tell the sex of a corn snake is popping or probing but both of these techniques need doing by someone who knows what they are doing.

The sticky smelly stuff is musk, its rare from a corn and it will grow out of it as it calms down. The same applies to the aggression. My Boa did this when I first got her, never saw anything but you could smell it straight away and I felt like chopping off my hands to get away from the fishy yukky smell.
Slangenvrouwtje Posted - 20/11/2011 : 20:53:36
Ok thank you.
Yeah... He/she was... Erm... yeah VERY peed off. Hasn't done it for a few days done though so at least they are settling down :-)
LarkaDawg Posted - 20/11/2011 : 10:59:00
It's musk I think. They do that when peed off :) I understand that both sexes do it.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000