The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Worried!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Daniford Posted - 16/11/2011 : 19:07:42
As some of u may have read, I am having problems with my snake. I am a first time owner and not sure how normal it is for my snake to have been sat in her water bowl since last Friday (24 hours after she was fed) she hasnt wanted to move since. She was fine last week and was very active. My viv temps seem fine so I don't understand?
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Daniford Posted - 17/11/2011 : 20:59:15
Thank u so much. Every1 had been a big help and settling my nerves a lot. Will def get a stat 2moz and keep an eye on her. Havent seen a shed yet si quite excited! Since I turned the heat mat off she has gone and sat on top of it so looks like u were right!
Tallscientist Posted - 17/11/2011 : 20:46:29
Hi there,
In my experience you don't need a book - everyone on here is so knowledgeable that they will answer your questions. All the care you need to know is here http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/corn_snake_care_sheet.htm
I would buy yourself a digital strip thermometer and a mat stat pronto to make sure the temperatures are correct on the mat. It's likely that your snake is about to shed so that's why she's been bathing and a little quiet.
Daniford Posted - 17/11/2011 : 20:30:08
She is a little dull and her eyes are cloudy. She has finally spent the day outside the water bowl which is a plus. I do have the thermometers that stick to the wall and are not digital. The viv is wooden and the mat is inside the viv but now switched off temporarily. The bloody guy who set all this up owns snakes so I'm quite disappointed I have it all wrong and I'm obviously reading too much as so many websites say different things. Any1 reccomend a good book? Not a good day! My house mate also threw my bag of mice away today! Got to laugh or il go mad!!
johno Posted - 17/11/2011 : 19:13:24
if your mat is unstatted theres no way its only 25 in the hot end... turn it off and get a stat asap..
awlred Posted - 17/11/2011 : 10:00:33
1st off, A stat is required. I can't reccomend a mat-stat enough, super easy and great build quality. Well worth £25-30.

Secondly, out of curiousity how are you measuring the temperature? Dial thermometer or digital probe, the dials that stick to the glass are relatively unreliable as they measure the air at where ever they are placed and usually that's plenty above the bedding line.

Thirdly, Is your viv wood, and if so is the mat on the outside or the inside? If it's on the outside I'd say move it in after (and only after) you get a thermostat as wood doesn't transmit Infrared heat (the kind your mat produces) very well and would result in it being too cool.

--
Sorry for rambling but I'm just throwing out ideas I can think of to help you.

The only other thing is that it could be gettign ready to shed but you didn't note if it's colours had dulled at all.

Mamma Posted - 17/11/2011 : 09:07:19
Its best to get it statted. Unstatted mats can result in a burnt snake xx
Daniford Posted - 16/11/2011 : 21:20:33
Ok thank u!
SheWolfey Posted - 16/11/2011 : 21:10:19
You do need a stat
Daniford Posted - 16/11/2011 : 21:05:50
Ok not sure if I'm being stupid but I don't have a thermostat on my heat mat. If I get one will the temp be able to rise?
SheWolfey Posted - 16/11/2011 : 20:56:16
I would say the warm side is too cold. It needs to be about 28
Daniford Posted - 16/11/2011 : 19:28:28
Cool side is 20 and the warm side is 25.
tordyjo Posted - 16/11/2011 : 19:28:02
have just answered on your original post
tordyjo Posted - 16/11/2011 : 19:21:41
you say your temps seem fine, can you give us the temps

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000