The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Unsure

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Daniford Posted - 14/11/2011 : 20:51:36
Hey peeps. I have had my 1st corn snake for 3 weeks on Wednesday and I am struggling a little and not sure if this is normal. I havent been able to handle her since I put her in her viv. She explored lots n seemed happy. Her 1st feed was successful and her 2nd not so. She normally feeds on a Wednesday but didn't eat til the following day. Since then she has barely moved from her water bowl. I think she may be about to shed but the bloke I got her from was useless so I know little about her. She eats pinkies so can't be too old and guessing she us ready for a shed. When am I going to be able to handle her? She tried to strike me the other day so I'm already close to a bite. :-) she sleeps in my top sometimes and thought this might help her get used to me but no luck yet! HELP and sorry for the essay x
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Daniford Posted - 16/11/2011 : 22:41:56
I do agree with that, after looking thru last weeks pics she is def dull and grumpy
Bluenicoli Posted - 16/11/2011 : 22:36:39
Her eyes will go clear again just before a shed so she may be about to...
Daniford Posted - 16/11/2011 : 20:02:55
Corse I won't, thank u x
tordyjo Posted - 16/11/2011 : 19:53:13
don't forget to let us know how she gets on will you
Daniford Posted - 16/11/2011 : 19:50:08
Ok I will try that. Just managed to get a proper look at her and compare pics from last week and she is dull but I can't see her eyes at the mo im hoping she just wants a long soak. Thanks for the advice. Will give it all a try and see what happens :-)
tordyjo Posted - 16/11/2011 : 19:37:41
My male was growing and eating well, he was just short of 2ft and i moved him into a 2.5ft viv, his feeding became irratic, i moved him back into a 9l rub and since he's fed every week and even put on weight, so housing can make a huge difference
Daniford Posted - 16/11/2011 : 19:35:22
I have read all sorts and think I'm looking into things too much. Will have another read through tho. I can't see any mites on her. I thought her eyes were dulling but they are clear now and nothing like what they would be if she was ready for a shed. She last shed almost 5 weeks ago but that was before I got her so not sure how she would deal with it. I might get a smaller home for her tomorrow. Just dont understand y she went from seeming comfortable to this :-(
tordyjo Posted - 16/11/2011 : 19:27:26
25 is on the cool side the warm end should be between 27 and 30 degrees.

at just under 1.5 ft the 2.5ft viv might be a bit too big, your snake may not feel secure in their home, they don't like big spaces.

Have you checked to see if there are any mites as thats often a common reason for them soaking in the water bowl.

Is a shed due, has your snake dulled down or eyes gone cloudy, sometimes they'll soak when a shed is due too

have you looked at the care sheet on the home page, has some really good advice
Daniford Posted - 15/11/2011 : 20:38:56
The cool side is around 20 and the warm is around 25. I have thermometers either side of the viv. She is 45cm give or take a couple but haven't been able to weigh her since I got her as she is a bit feisty. The viv is 2.5 ft with hides and a climb and she seemed fine last week. I have some time off this week so will they and figure out how to put a pic up on Thursday.
kdlang Posted - 15/11/2011 : 08:44:37
Also what size viv have you got her in?

If she is getting ready to shed then she will hide away and could be more grumpy as their vision is restricted. I would be concerned if she has eaten and is spending her time in the water bowl as it will be pretty cold. Check your temperatures as that could be a problem.
tordyjo Posted - 14/11/2011 : 20:57:40
can you give us a little bit of info, how big is she, how much does she weigh. What are your temperatures in both the cool and warm and how are you measuring them. Does your heatmat have a thermostat attached.

One trick for getting you snake used to you is to carry a clean sock around in your pocket and then put it in the viv with the snake so it can get your scent. it may just need longer than a week to settle.

If she's just a hatchie (a baby snake) a bite won't really hurt anyway its more of a gum.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000