The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Just a few quick questions....

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Kath Posted - 10/11/2011 : 15:29:58
Hi,

Apologies if these questions have been asked before but have looked back over previous posts & can't find any answers...

Cornelius had his first complete shed with us on 23rd Oct & hasn't shed since. He's 14wks old.(tbh, he doesn't look like he's going to shed soon because he's very shiny & not been in blue). Is this normal?

We have bark down as his substrate but a few days ago, it looked like he was trying to burrow down into it but couldn't. (He was in aspen in the shop we got him from). Would you advise us to change to aspen, keep bark down or have half & half?

When we bought him a month ago, guy in the shop sold us some fuzzies
because that's what he said Cornelius had been eating. We haven't fed any of them to him coz we thought they were way too big for him. Are we ok to leave these fuzzies in the freezer for a few months until he is ready for them?

& lastly, guy in shop also told us to buy a spray bottle & spray Cornelius & his fauna everyday. I did spray him a couple of times then read that if they are too damp it can cause respiratory problems. Is this true?

Sorry for these questions but I needed to get them off my chest!!

Many thanks in advance.
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Simmy_82 Posted - 13/11/2011 : 07:52:33
Start giving then 2 pinkies when 1 pinkie doesn't leave a bulge in their tummy. The only give them 2 until you run out. Don't buy more. But fuzzies once the pinkies run out. 2 pinkies helps the prepare for the larger prey.
Kath Posted - 12/11/2011 : 15:34:40
Hi Bluenicoli, thanks for your comment & yes, he does have a caring owner! Yep, we give him a pinky every five days & I have seen the Munson plan.
It's true what you say tho', snakes can eat things that are a lot bigger than themselves!

What I did want to ask is, when the time comes to start giving him 2 pinkies, do we still do that every 5 days or drop it down to every 7 days? Thanks.
Bluenicoli Posted - 12/11/2011 : 15:29:21
Simmy said it all really. My hatchling (not at all sure of age) shed on 7th October and just seems to be getting ready to shed again now, so a good month later. Prey does often look way too big for the snake but you'd be surprised what they can get their mouths round! Check out the Munson Plan which gives you a guide based on your snakes weight. A snake up to about 15g should really get one pinkie every five days or so. Sounds like Cornelius has a good caring owner!
Kath Posted - 12/11/2011 : 10:12:10
Hi Simmy,

Thanks for the replies. Cornelius is 14wks old, weighs 10g & is about 15" long.
Simmy_82 Posted - 10/11/2011 : 15:46:00
Shed - Mines not shed since 10/09/11. They will shed when they need to so nothing really to worry about.

Substrate - Its up to you really. I have mine on beech chippings, but the fine ones and she burrows under it in the deeper areas. Its down to personal prefernce really.

Fuzzies - I have just moved mine up to fuzzies. She is 5months old and 26g. What weight and length is yours? You usually use the rule "size of the prey should be no bigger than 1.5x the size of the thickest part of the snake".

Mositure - Corn snakes dont require extra moisture. They only require it if they are having trouble shedding. You've had a succssful shed so there is no need to spray any water in your faun/viv.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000