The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 erratic stat...

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
nickyff Posted - 10/11/2011 : 00:35:07
I've finally realised that actually its not me that's going crazy, it is in fact the stat that's screwing up-
to my best understanding, a thermostat is supposed to work like this: snake owner chooses temp, eg 29C, therefore sets stat at 29C, buggers off. Stat then uses its proby thing to measure the temp, and then heats up if necessary until the mat is at 29C, then switches off. when the mat cools down lower than 29, the stat kicks in again, heats up until reaching 29....etc etc
- the outcome being that the heat-mat maintains a consistent temperature of (in this example) 29 oC
If this is correct, then WHY does the digi-thermometer I have attached to the stat-probe give me various readings ranging from 29 to 32 oC, when I haven't adjusted the settings at all??

Loads of Questions......

Shouldn't it be maintaining a consistent temperature, (the one I set it at)? or perhaps are these readings a 'range', that if I did the maths, would have an average of 29??
Is this a common problem? do all stats do this, or is mine just a duff one that I need to replace?
Am I getting overly distressed by something that is really quite trivial, or are 2-3 degrees difference important?
I looked over at it a minute ago and it read 32 degrees, now 5 minutes later its 29.4 ... I haven't touched it~ and no, its not near a radiator or open window or bubbling volcano or passing ice floe ~~~not nor nuffin..

help, please?!!
I don't know how bothered I should be by this!!
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
gmac Posted - 11/11/2011 : 12:28:16
Your temps are fine within that range.

Digital thermomemters are the most accurate, there has only been a few instances where they have gone off. Wouldnt bother with the glass one, the digi is fine
nickyff Posted - 11/11/2011 : 00:16:46
blimey, that last is a bit scary- I'm going to brain-damage the snake if I cant get this thing to settle ?? the thermometer and stat probe are rubber-banded together, just like in the linked sticky, and I've nudged the stat down a bit more and the digi-thermometer is now (still constantly changing)but between 26-6 and 29-0, so hopefully more comfortable,
I followed the links to relevant threads and found one about digital thermometers being unreliable re accuracy- I'd been under the impression that I'd got the right thing with the digital one, now I'm wondering if I should get an old fashioned glass and mercury affair..?
I'm still watching the numbers range up and down by quite a bit, without me touching anything- which I'm not really happy about- but snakey is still happily pootling from one end to the other, so I think he's happy enough for now..
eeji Posted - 10/11/2011 : 19:07:43
corn snake temperatures isn't an exact science, I've found them to be happy with temps of anywhere between 23 - 30. There is anecdotal evidence floating around the internet that severe neurological problems can be caused by prolonged temperatures of over 30, I'm not sure if any of this has been scientifically backed up though
huffy_86 Posted - 10/11/2011 : 18:04:23
We have the exact same stat as you. Don't go by what temp is labelled on the stat. We have ours set at about 27c on the stat and it tops out at 29.5-30c. I won't then cut in until it goes back down to about 26c. In the end of the day remember it's better to have it cooler rather than hotter.
tk72 Posted - 10/11/2011 : 17:10:59
I had similar problems with my stat. It is now set at 25 and the thermostat reads at anything from 27 up to 29.6. But it took a lot of fiddling to get it right. It also depends a lot on where in the room you have the rub. You will have to twiddle around a bit and find out which best suits your room. Took me ages and loads of hair pulling and shouting at the mat stat when it should be kicking in and cutting out. Good luck with it.
Red123 Posted - 10/11/2011 : 14:10:25
My Habistat temperature stats are excellent at keeping a farely even temp cutting in at 28.1c and out at 29.1 the lucky reptile thermo control I have is also excellent at keeping an even temp. Now the microclimate that came with Spencer when I bought him was a whole different story. A huge temp difference cutting in 26.8c and out at 31c. It did my head in, I was up and down like a yo yo trying to get it to stabilse. I left it for 5 days but could take it no more and went and bought another habistat. They really are very good even the basic mat stat I have is pretty accurate and good at holding temps.
LittlestarRed Posted - 10/11/2011 : 10:41:36
Matstats are notoriously inaccurate, I find you have to fiddle around with the temperature setting using a thermometer until you get it right! Nagini's Matstat for instance is set at 32 degrees but her hot end thermometer always shows between 28 and 29 degrees (I double checked this using a couple of thermometers as well just to be sure) so like I say fiddle around until the temperature on the thermometer is what you're aiming for.

Good Luck!
tordyjo Posted - 10/11/2011 : 07:01:52
the temps should be in the care sheet, if you click the home page you'll find the care sheet there

theres also already this really good sticky about setting up
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9878

It was also suggested in the other post that your temps were too high then.

I have my stat set to about 28, the temperature (measured with a digital thermometer) ranges from 27 to 29.8C, the numbers on the dial are only a guide use your thermometer to actually set the guage to the right place.
nickyff Posted - 10/11/2011 : 02:59:42
so the ideal is somewhere between 27-29?? I'm sure I read somewhere to keep it 29-30, but clearly this could be wrong... someone pls ask the mods to do a sticky about this- basic info= what temp should i set my stat/ heat-mat to??
sounds like i may have had wrong info from the start-

(which may also explain the regurge i posted about the other day.....

thx for all help/suggestions, everybody :)

(and tinsel says "sssssssss")
gmac Posted - 10/11/2011 : 01:41:06
its a matstat you have, there will be a temp range from these stats, pulse stats keep a constant regular temperature.

Just move the dial to suit the temps on the thermometer readings, the stat dial isnt accurate so you cant set it up from that. if you got a reading of 32 you need to turn it down a few degress so the range is from 29-27ish
nickyff Posted - 10/11/2011 : 01:04:45
matstat...pulse..???? i have no idea! i didn't keep the packaging when i bought it- on the block bit with the adjuster dial thingy, it says: microclimate (brand name?) minstat 100, and on the back there's just a bunch of stuff about caution must be earthed and max load 100w and suchlike. It doesn't say on it what kind it is, so I really don't know. I didn't even know there were different kinds, I kind of assumed they're a bog-standard one-size-fits-all type of contraption. it's now at 30.8, for no apparent reason.
does this mean my poor snakey never knows whether or not he's going to get a burned bum every time he waggles onto the mat-side of his viv?? poor thing... :~(
gmac Posted - 10/11/2011 : 00:46:18
what kind of stat is it, matstat (on/off), dimmer or pulse

matstats have a range of temps as you describe so yours sounds like a matstat. You also cant go by the reading on the dial thats just a starting point for setting it up, use our thermometers to set it up so the max is about 29, it will drop to about 26-7 but thats acceptable.

If its a pulse take it back to the shop its broke ;)

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000