The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 sicking up pinkies

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
nickyff Posted - 07/11/2011 : 00:28:50
okay, this is a bit of a saga, but stick with it please, cos I'm trying really hard to not be uber-stressed and so far not doing so well...
okay, so we had a hatchie, that (I was told, and believe) was feeding well when we got him, but the stress of the move + excited birthday boy handling him 2nd day + godknowswhat??? = stopped eating. and didn't at all the whole time he was with us. (3 months)- he did shed once, and seemed quite happy, very active and sociable, but would NOT accept a pinky, whatever I tried, and yes I tried everything)
The breeder I got him from came over and did an assist feed once, which frankly i felt guilty about, and so sorry for poor baby snakey, but rather that, than he starve to death-
Last week as he was still not eating breeder offered to swap him for another he had that was a good feeder. So we took snakey 1 back, and snakey 2 was fed in front of us, just before i brought him home. left him alone completely undisturbed for a week, except for removing a stinky regurgitated half a pinky the day after arrival. i put this down to the journey/carsick something??? Anyway, I left him a week undisturbed, and then a week after arrival offered him a pinky which he took beautifully. I was so pleased and relieved, after having wasted pinky after pinky with snakey 1, and thought we were now on track for trouble-free snake-keeping. .....WRONG -!! .. 2 days after gulping down the pinky, he sicked it back up, whole this time. I've dropped the temp in the warm end of the viv, as I think that can affect digestion, ? (it was ranging 30.2 - 31.0)but now I'm really worried that he's going to sick up everything I give him. I'm fretting especially because it seems that all the threads on this forum (and elsewhere) I've seen that mention repeated regurgitation, the story seems to inevitably end up with a dead snakey... please help??!! if only to temporarily calm me down a bit...
~anxious~
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Vince_the_snake Posted - 17/11/2011 : 19:25:52
I'm sorry to hear the terrible news
Hissyfit Posted - 17/11/2011 : 10:08:36
That's such a shame, sorry to hear that.
smart bunny Posted - 16/11/2011 : 11:57:00
I'm so sorry to read your sad news.
Bluenicoli Posted - 15/11/2011 : 21:29:31
I'm so sorry you've had so much trouble with your first experience of corn snakes. It's a bit out of my knowledge range but my suggestion would be to contact the breeder again and see what they say. From the info you've given it sounds like you're doing things right...
nickyff Posted - 15/11/2011 : 21:08:12
update- yesterday was ten days from the last regurgitated pinky. A couple of days ago my son pointed out a dark patch on the underside of the snake, (now called tinsel, because he liked draping himself over the synthetic ivy)
he was offered a tiny pinky last night, but was completely uninterested. I've just found him in a sad little coil by his water bowl-

He hadnt pooed in the last ten days- but hadn't digested anyhting, so I didn't expect him to. the 'dark patch' is now the last inch of his body, just behind his vent, which is kind of noticable/slightly open- and the section that's dark is sort of more 'solid' than the rest of him, if that makes sense? I'm guessing he's had an impaction in his gut that has been travelling down through his short little life and for what reason? he couldn't pass it.
I feel utterly miserable.

there's not a lot else to say
LittlestarRed Posted - 08/11/2011 : 11:55:20
scottishbluebird and garrie are right. I followed that advice after little Nagini regurged and so far so good!
a33272 Posted - 07/11/2011 : 15:48:25
tell use abit more about ya set up?
nickyff Posted - 07/11/2011 : 14:45:23
I defrost the pinkies in warm water, and yes it was thoroughly defrosted. He wasn't exclusively in one end, he's been waggling about all over; sometimes the warm end, sometimes the cool, I don't think the temperature is a major issue. I suspect the pinky may have been a bit too big, though, so have picked out a particularly wee one to try him with in 7-10 days, assuming he doesnt croak of some horroble disease before then.......
It's the regurgitating twice that bothers me. once I can rationalise, twice is a worry...
lotabob Posted - 07/11/2011 : 12:59:58
I'm guessing he was spending all his time in the cool end as the hot end was too hot and wasn't able to use the hot end for digestion so regurged the mouse.

I have my max temp set to 28oC for the corn, I've found it to be the best.
garrie Posted - 07/11/2011 : 08:58:36
I agree with what scottishbluebird says - giving him 10 days for his stomach acids etc to settle should give him a better chance with the next one. Out of curiosity how do you defrost the pinkies?

Best of luck with the next feed.
scottishbluebird Posted - 07/11/2011 : 01:19:59
Your temps was a bit high, but you turned it down, i'm sorry i am no expert, but i'd suggest leaving him alone for 10 days, just spot cleaning, changing water. then try again. I really hope you get it sorted

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000