The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 hatchling not eating

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Kittypuss85 Posted - 03/11/2011 : 20:55:45
We're getting really concerned about Fudge, a 2/3 month old butter stripe.

We bought him at the Essex show 5 weeks ago and he hasn't eaten at all since we got him home.
The guy that sold him to us did say he was a fussy eater and that we might have to brain the pinky.
Not a problem, as I have another hatchling i had to do that with and she is eating normally.

We set him up along side 2 other snakes we got at the show in 12" x 12" x 4" tubs.
we left them all for a week to settle in, noticing them all having a good look around and exploring.
Binks the normal ate first time, Rhea and Fudge didn't. I put a plastic vine in both their tubs hoping it was the coverage they needed to feel more secure and it worked for Rhea.
Rhea didn't eat for 3 weeks, but i found her ideal meal being boiled and brained and ate for the second time yesterday. Fudge still hasn't eaten.
I've read through most of the posts advising about non-feeding snakes and I'm running out of ideas.
I swapped him into a smaller tub about 2/3 weeks ago hoping that would help. when I got him out of his old tub he bit me. I said to him "Don't go for me, go for the mouse!", but he didn't listen. It's 8"x5"x3", it has 2 small hides, water bowl, and plastic vine. His previous tub steamed up a lot even though the water bowl was not on the heat mat so I put lots of air holes in the lid. When I try to feed him, I cover him over now too.
I have tried braining the pink, boiling it, braining and boiling, boiling just the head. I just drop the pink in the middle of the tub.
I haven't tried taking him for a drive yet but I am considering it! We are not experienced enough to try assissted feeding.
I don't think its too hot or cold as we have 3 other hatchlings on the same heat mat and they are all eating fine.
He seems happy in himself, as he is always out having a look around and climbing his vine. He has musked, but obviously not pooed.

I know this post is long, but I wanted to give as much info as I can think of to try and get this little one to eat.
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Beverly Louise Posted - 10/11/2011 : 23:00:08
Jack has only just had his first feed with me and I've had him a month, but I know you'll still worry because I was a complete mess earlier when he didn't strike. Crying and the lot
I didn't try Jack with tune and brine (I figure corns wouldn't meet a tuna in the wild so why eat it now) but lots of crazy stuff works for different snakes. With Jacks pinkie I warmed it and left it right in the centre if his cave. It was also VERY brained. I mean, I rubbed the brain juices all over the pinkie and even cut the belly a little. Gross, I know, but I was desperate.
Your only other option would be to contact the breeder and see if they fed Fudge with any specific method. Or see if they'll take it in for a week or two and try and get it feeding, or even if they'll swap it. Jacks breeder said they would happily keep/swap him if the next feed was unsuccessful for free so I'd give that a shot.
DTW Posted - 09/11/2011 : 21:39:46
Did u use the tuna or the brine? the brine won't work I don't think I've always used the tuna, after that I don't really know other then maybe see if any of the rep shops near u have anyone who can help? hope u get sorted soon :)
Kittypuss85 Posted - 09/11/2011 : 16:27:19
The tuna brine didn't work! Don't know what else to do :-(
Kittypuss85 Posted - 04/11/2011 : 06:41:06
My other half wrote this post while I was at work last night, I've posted the same on the corn snake Facebook page. We've actually had him 6 weeks (I thought it was 7 oops) but it was Rhea we were told might be fussy. Fudge we were told ate well, and we were given a sheet of his record; which I'm starting to think was made up.
Thanks for everyones help.
DTW Posted - 04/11/2011 : 01:06:28
Tuna works great for fussy feeders, get a tin of tuna in brine take a bit of tuna out and just rub the pinky on it to get the scent, I usually heat the the pinky with a hair dryer first and u could even brain it as well to make it extra appetising lol. And as already mentioned try covering 3 sides of the rub with paper or postal tape or something so it's like a viv with just the front open this seems to really help them feel safer, hope u get sorted :)
Hissyfit Posted - 03/11/2011 : 22:45:01
I can understand how you must be feeling. My little Falco didn't eat for almost 3 weeks, and It was so upsetting. I have him in a 7x7x7" breeder box, and as well as putting a plastic vine in the back, sides and covering both hides, I covered 3 sides and top of his box with paper...we've not had a problem since. Seems he was very shy, and doesn't like being looked at! Might be worth a try for your little hatchling?

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000