The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Mouse question... May sound silly!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
NaeLou Posted - 27/10/2011 : 18:30:59
I was sitting thinking about how I would defrost a fuzzy....

As Misssi is on 2 pinkies at the moment, She'll soon be ready for fuzzies. With her pinkies I defrost them in warm tap water and then dab them dry with a paper towel...

but surely with fur they would be soaking!

How does everyone here defrost furry mice?!! or do their corns like them wet... silly question... I know!
18   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
c00ki3z Posted - 28/10/2011 : 20:53:40
quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

quote:
Originally posted by c00ki3z

I defrost mine in water, just hate when the tail falls off..or the feet :/

Are you playing with them as you defrost them or are they tiny mices?

They are fuzzies, I just pick them up with my tweezers I've added rubber end bits to.
Dancross0 Posted - 28/10/2011 : 17:22:13
I defrost mine in a margerine tub.

And pinkies feet/legs falling off gets on my nerves!
Sta~ple Posted - 28/10/2011 : 16:27:26
quote:
Originally posted by c00ki3z

Are you playing with them as you defrost them or are they tiny mices?
c00ki3z Posted - 28/10/2011 : 12:41:14
Mort13 Posted - 28/10/2011 : 12:22:58
Mine too get put in sealable sandwich bags and defrost naturally. I used to warm them up but tried mine on room temp mice and they all take them so I don't bother faffing with that anymore.
stuart619 Posted - 28/10/2011 : 11:41:52
I do the same as boogles. Put in a bag and float in warm water
boogles Posted - 28/10/2011 : 11:38:44
i use the sandwhich bags that ocme in rolls of 50 or so and tie the top shut with mice in.

They go in warm water for half an hour or so.

I dont like the idea of mice stewing in water and the smell is bad enough anyways without them being WET...

ALl mine are big strike feeders and constrict every time.
Sta~ple Posted - 28/10/2011 : 10:44:16
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

The downside is that sometimes you get some snakes (usually kings because they are stupid) that will try to eat medium/large mice sideways.

Yes ._. they try and fold the mouse over to eat it...when they realise they can't after having a good go, let go, find head but then go for the middle again for some reason.
Kehhlyr Posted - 28/10/2011 : 10:39:55
Don't assume that the best way though, I am just a weird one that thinks like that.
Snakes have evolved over thousands of years to cope with eating much harsher objects than a bit of fur on a mouse so are completely able to eat mice without the fur causing any problems, I just do it because I feel a bit better about it.

The downside is that sometimes you get some snakes (usually kings because they are stupid) that will try to eat medium/large mice sideways.
NaeLou Posted - 27/10/2011 : 21:49:06
At least I know either way is fine!

Kehhlyr ... I never thought about it that way!
Sta~ple Posted - 27/10/2011 : 21:28:33
I defrost them naturally.
Spreebok Posted - 27/10/2011 : 20:52:59
Same an Kehhlyr, defrost all my mice in water, regardless of size. I pop my fluffs in lukewarm, cover and leave for an hour. I then take them out and roll them about, making sure the insides are defrosted and squishy. Tjis usually dries them out a bit, as I do it on kitchen towel and then feed.
This is my method for all sizes, but obviously defrosting times vary, for example, I'll leave Holly's Jumbo Mice for a few hours.
Kehhlyr Posted - 27/10/2011 : 19:49:19
I defrost all of mine in water, then feed to the snakes wet.
They seem to take it fine, I prefer doing it as in my odd little head the water will help. To put into a way that might be easier for people to understand; Weetabix, harder to eat dry or with milk???

Also, due to the fact that I rarely see any of my snakes drinking I know they're getting some fluids into them as well.
NaeLou Posted - 27/10/2011 : 19:13:49
thanks for the advice you three! x
kdlang Posted - 27/10/2011 : 19:00:47
I just put my mice into plastic bags with the recipients name on and leave on the side in the kitchen to defrost naturally then warm it up in a tub of warm water at feeding time. If i need them defrosted sooner then i put the bags into a tub of water or put them on the radiator
NaeLou Posted - 27/10/2011 : 18:45:04
POP??! oh dear!!

Haha such simple answers! Thanks!

Will have to warn the other half when I'm defrosting at room temp/naturally!!

Have not seen Misssi constrict really yet.... she just likes to swallow them as quick as she can!
scottishbluebird Posted - 27/10/2011 : 18:39:47
I just put a fuzzy on folded bit of kitchen roll for an hour at room temp, if you put it in water and your snake does a great constrict,mouse can go POP!
paulie78 Posted - 27/10/2011 : 18:38:28
I just stick mine on a bit of kitchen towel and stick them inside the viv to defrost naturally same as i do with all the mice/pinkies fluffs whatever lol (the snakes are still in rubs atm)

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000