The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Is it normal?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Kath Posted - 25/10/2011 : 15:01:11
Hi guys,

Cornelius has been out every night now since last Fri exploring his fauna & once he has had an explore through his trailing plant, he likes to curl up & settle next to his hide on the warmer side of his fauna. (He spends all day curled up in his other hide on the cooler side).

There is a water dish in for him but, as yet, we haven't seen him go in it or drink from it.

Is this normal & could he just be drinking at night when we're not about? Do they drink much?

Don't know what else we could do as the water dish is there for him & we can't force him to have a drink! It's on the cooler side & near the corner.

Thanks.
17   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kath Posted - 27/10/2011 : 18:29:12
hehe, not seen Cornelius have a sup yet but we have seen him yawn twice which is very cute & he opens his mouth very wide!! Like this only wider!!
c00ki3z Posted - 27/10/2011 : 16:41:15
Just seen my corn having a slurp for the first time, it's funny actually seeing them gulp... hehe
Kath Posted - 27/10/2011 : 15:34:54
hehe, good idea not to fall asleep whilst handling her Kez! It shuts me up too when I'm holding him, I go into a trance. My OH will be very grateful for Corny's presence hehe!
Kez Posted - 27/10/2011 : 11:02:07
They are very relaxing aren't they. For reptiles who are perceived to be such evil beings, they really are so graceful and tranquil and when I'm handling Maizie I feel so chilled out lol, must just make sure I don't fall asleep!!!
Kath Posted - 27/10/2011 : 08:41:50
That's ok kez, thanks for your reply. I handled Cornelius yesterday for about 10 mins & he definitely didn't look dehydrated, he looked absolutely beautiful!
I love handling him & watching him in his fauna because he's so peaceful, graceful & helps me to relax!
Kez Posted - 26/10/2011 : 10:52:45
I'm no expert, but I think that if they're dehydrated their skin around the neck of the snake becomes wrinkled and puckered and also their eyes can look as though they're dented or sunk in a little. I'm sure some of the other members with much more experience than me could verify or correct this information though, Kath. I've only had Maizie for a month, so wouldn't like to inform you incorrectly.
Kath Posted - 26/10/2011 : 09:21:56
Thx for all your replies, lol @ kez, I don't snore!! hehe least I don't think I do Maybe on odd occasion....

Would I know about if it he was dehydrated, what are the signs?

Thanks again.

SheWolfey Posted - 25/10/2011 : 20:40:18
I have only just got my snake, and I have seen her drinking once or twice every day. I though all snakes drank that much :o
Spreebok Posted - 25/10/2011 : 19:13:50
Put it this way, I've never once seen 3 out of my 5 drink xD I've caught Lister a few times, and I always seem to catch Holly having a drink, but he doesn't care xD
Kez Posted - 25/10/2011 : 17:31:22
I think I must be really privileged; I've seen Maizie drink quite a few times, mostly when she goes back into her viv after handling. In fact, I sometimes offer her up to the water bowl when she goes back in and she has a drink while I'm still holding her, which is pretty cool and makes me feel great because she must really trust me to do that.

I definitely think that Cornelius probably drinks when you're in bed snoring because that's when they're naturally active, so I wouldn't worry too much. I think you'd soon notice if he wasn't drinking because he'd become dehydrated.
kdlang Posted - 25/10/2011 : 17:12:23
I very rarely see mine drinking either and I started collecting 2 years ago.
Beverly Louise Posted - 25/10/2011 : 16:06:13
Even though I've only just got mine, I have seen them drink, but only once and it was at night (about half ten, eleven) when they're normally up and about.
If you want to make sure you know he's drinking you could draw a line and fill water up to it in the morning and then the next day see if it's gone down some, but I wouldn't worry about it too much. He'll probably drink at night.
Dancross0 Posted - 25/10/2011 : 15:56:08
I haven't seen my hatchling corns drink, but my 2.5 year old snake usually drinks after eating.
Kath Posted - 25/10/2011 : 15:18:00
Thx for reply Simmy.
Simmy_82 Posted - 25/10/2011 : 15:17:29
Similar to garrie, i have only seen mine drinking once, and that was a late night whilst i was reading in bed.

I wouldnt worry too much, as long as there is water there he'll be drinking it.
Kath Posted - 25/10/2011 : 15:17:28
Ok thanks garrie. Like I said, water's there for him if he wants it, can't make him drink it when we want him to!

Wish I knew what he was upto when we're fast asleep!!
garrie Posted - 25/10/2011 : 15:12:00
He will be drinking...i'm very confident of that. It will simply be that you haven't seen him drink (I bet he waits until your fast asleep). I have only seen my Corn drink maybe once or twice...once was straight after i got him, he went straight to the water bowl

Second time was just luck i think...and when he saw me he fairly quickly retracted back into his hide.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000