The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Stats running multiple mats ?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
paulie78 Posted - 23/10/2011 : 11:01:25
Hi guys firstly ill explain what im planning on doing then you'll understand my question (i hope lol)
Currently Eddie and Artemis are in a shared viv inside rubs my big fishtank is now almost completely empty within the next week or two it should be ready for me to convert into a viv as i want to put Artemis in there as shes the largest of the snakes then eddie can have the shared viv all too himself i think hes big enough now to risk letting him have the space (then i shall just lose a few nights sleep over worrying about escapes) the thing is i only have 2 stats ones running the Viv containing Barl and eve the other obviously Eddie and Artmeis
ive been told by nrly everyone that i speak too says its safe to run 2 mats from one stat providing they are the same brand size and wattage so i was toying with the idea of running an extension lead for the mat to heat Artemis new viv and connect it to the stat running Eves Viv the stats only got the one probe though and me being a born worrier im wondering if its gonna be safer and wait an extra month and buy another stat just wondered if anyone else runs multiple mats on single stats ?
my concerns obviously unstable temps and risk of something going wrongand i doubt the snakes will mind being in rubs for another month id just really appreciate some thoughts on this thanks guys
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Red123 Posted - 26/10/2011 : 14:27:09
I also tried running to mats off one stat. Both vivs were identical set up and size as were the mats. The temps once settled kept almost identical until it was clean out day. As soon as I disturbed the mat and substrate in the first viv I was cleaning the mat would start to cool quicker than the second one which was not yet disturbed. Getting the temps back to the same on each mat was a pain, maybe I was doing something wrong. I think maybe multiple mats on one stat is easier with RUBS as the RUBS just sit on top of the mats.
paulie78 Posted - 25/10/2011 : 23:09:55
quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

I tried to run multiple mats off a pulse stat, same size mats same vivs. I just didn't like the variation and felt if something goes wrong, then there won#t be one burnt snake but more as I am a worrier!

Thats my concern to be honest im a born worrier lol as everyone here has probably already worked out by now lol
Sta~ple Posted - 25/10/2011 : 23:00:33
I tried to run multiple mats off a pulse stat, same size mats same vivs. I just didn't like the variation and felt if something goes wrong, then there won#t be one burnt snake but more as I am a worrier!
paulie78 Posted - 25/10/2011 : 22:23:18
Thanks guys really appreciate the input im definately gonna experiment with the empty tank as if i can hold off on a stat for a while it would save me a hedache trying to find the cash im not in any rush as artemis is fine in her rub for now
Auld Baldy Posted - 25/10/2011 : 22:00:36
I have 4x20 watt mats running from a single Habistat 100 with no problem. Also they are all different sized vivs, wood, uPVC-foamboard, glass and a temporary large RUB. The stat probe is set from the largest Lx36 and peaks briefly at 30C. The variation over the 3 vivs with the mats inside is about 1.5C. The RUB is slightly cooler due to the fact that it is sat on top of the mat. All have dual probe thermometers.

There would have been a problem if I was using the stat probe in the viv I use for Mirkey. He regularly surfs through the chips and howks up everything and generally trashes the place. If I was using this as the master temperature it could have been a problem for the others.
paulie78 Posted - 25/10/2011 : 10:27:56
quote:
Originally posted by thistle

My worry would be that because, even though the mats will be the same size and wattage, they will be in different set ups (a viv and a larger glass tank) so will heat up and cool down at different rates. The only way your going to know if this will make a difference though is to try it.

To be honest I wouldn't take the risk of running 2 mats on one stat, I'd be too nervous that the mat that the stat probe is on top of might stop working so stay cool causing the thermostat to constantly be on which in turn could cause the other mat to overheat. But I know a lot of people do it without a problem so it's completely up to the individual.

This is exactly why i asked the question i wanted to get an idea of how more experianced and knowledgable keepers handle such it seems a bit daft to have such a valuable resource such as this forum and not use it

Heres the plan the tank should be empty today between now and friday ill give it a good clean and disninfecting then at the wknd most set it up as an empty viv monitor the temps for a week if theres too much fluctuation then ill wait till i can afford a stat next month im sure ill need another stat at some point anyway eventually i plan to build a rack (i think!) but its always good to have spare equipment in case something goes wrong saves me having to find the money in an emergency if theres no flucutations then i will "consider" maybe moving in Artemis in which case at most shel be in the tank on a shared stat for a couple weeks max however theres a lot of maybes and i may just wait lol
thistle Posted - 25/10/2011 : 01:45:38
My worry would be that because, even though the mats will be the same size and wattage, they will be in different set ups (a viv and a larger glass tank) so will heat up and cool down at different rates. The only way your going to know if this will make a difference though is to try it.

To be honest I wouldn't take the risk of running 2 mats on one stat, I'd be too nervous that the mat that the stat probe is on top of might stop working so stay cool causing the thermostat to constantly be on which in turn could cause the other mat to overheat. But I know a lot of people do it without a problem so it's completely up to the individual.
boogles Posted - 24/10/2011 : 12:09:08
Ive been running 2 mats off one stat for about 3 months..

Theyre low wattage so arent going to overload the stat. The vivs are in the same place stacked up. one mat probably differs by about .5 of a degree at the most.

Been running it fine with no issues.

might get another stat at some point. But ive had no issues...
paulie78 Posted - 23/10/2011 : 19:03:01
Yup nathan thats pretty much it the stats must all be the same brand size and wattage i did it for a week when i was struggling to get the right sized matts for the snakes i used two seperate small ones and one had the stat probe attached one didnt and there would be minute fluctuations between the mat temps like 0.1 difference but i worry about the unprobed mat overheating lol
Kehhlyr Posted - 23/10/2011 : 18:57:40
I have a multi-plug socket with mine. I personally wont go close to the maximum load, maybe 75w at the most. I think my 3 are 11 watts, I cannot remember.
I also when I first set up each multi-mat stats is leave the mats off for a good 12 hours to make sure they've all dropped to the same temp.
I still monitor the heat coming from each mat though, I tend to find the one in the middle of my 3 stack gets slightly hotter than the rest so I have that one probed and the others not.
nathan76 Posted - 23/10/2011 : 16:16:40
so what do you do, just plug a multi-plug block or extension lead into the stat out socket, as long as you dont exceed the stat wattage, ie 100w stat, 4 x 25w mats?
paulie78 Posted - 23/10/2011 : 16:13:45
well as im in no rush i may setup the "new viv" and just leave it running for a week with the temps being monitored and then decide wether im gonna feel ok sticking artemis in it either way i think ill probably end up buying another stat in a month anyway pretty sure ive seen stats that have multiple probes ? if theyre not much more than the standard type it might just be easier to buy one of those
Thanks for the info guys
oakleyman18 Posted - 23/10/2011 : 15:36:26
All depends on the risks you're willing to take i suppose..!
gingerpony Posted - 23/10/2011 : 12:05:26
i run multiple mats off one stat, it can be done, the main thing to remember is to start off with both mats at the same temp or you'll struggle to get the temps to balance out

with the probe on only one mat should there be a fault with the other mat(s) causing it to overheat then the stat won't switch it off

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000