The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Damn the cold!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
DJRenegade Posted - 20/10/2011 : 15:54:08
Thanks to nPower and their standing charges on prepayment meters i havent been able to have the central heating on this week.

Ive been keeping a close eye on snakeys temps but they seem to be struggling to get past 25 degrees - the mat is really quite warm to the touch so i dunno if its the thermometer thats playing up or the mat or even the stat, or if its just because its so damn cold.

I usually have the stat set to 28 and this gave me a nice 28.5 - 29.5 temp, but i now have it whacked upto 32 and over the last 2 hours the temps have gone from 23 deg to 24.8 (just moved the faun downstairs).

Ive had Rogue out and sat in my pocket and he has warmed up a bit, but i cant afford to buy any replacements atm if anything is dying (ill be pished off if it is as i only bought everything in june!)

I have moved Rogue from the bedroom where he was on some drawers, downstairs to my PC desk so i can watch the stat and thermometer easily.

The stat still says its heating, and i havent seen it say it isnt for 3 days, but in writing this the temps havent budged, ive repositioned the probes over the mat (its under the faun) and now im out of ideas :/

He has had low temps for around 3 days now!!

What should i do? Is there anything i should be concerned about?
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
lotabob Posted - 20/10/2011 : 23:28:37
Blutac is not sticky and its non toxic, easily available and if you press a bit of substrate into it totally invisible but not permanent. As a quick fix it serves the purpose of stoppinbg the probe reading air temp. I'm not suggesting filling your vivs and rubs with it but as a readily available quick fix its fine. Your absolutely right about tape though, its a snake nemesis.
DJRenegade Posted - 20/10/2011 : 23:15:57
I have it banded, and hot glued to the bottom of the faun so it cant lift off - its warmed up now anyway downstairs currently 28.9 degrees and he is sitting in the warm end
hillzi Posted - 20/10/2011 : 20:26:31
quote:
Originally posted by lotabob

The cold shouldn't affect how much heat the mat is putting out, it will only cause a drop in the cold end andf ambient air temperature. The thermometer will pick up not just the heat but the air temp, try putting bluetac over the thermometer probe so its not reading air temp too.

Sorry mate but I'd advise against any type of sticky stuff, tac or tape the lot.

But I do agree with the highlighted, however, try using a rubber band to wrap the thermostat and thermometer probes together and place over the mat, where the fauns sat on it and wait for a while..

The mat will still be kicking out heat yes, I wouldn't worry about the cold end hovering around the 20*C mark, as long as he has the warmth (25*C is still warm for a corn but not advisable...) he can thermoregulate. it isn't going to be 28/9*C if Florida year round.
MammasGirl Posted - 20/10/2011 : 16:44:23
Duke is gorgeous lotabob how old is Duke [;0]
lotabob Posted - 20/10/2011 : 16:39:05
The cold shouldn't affect how much heat the mat is putting out, it will only cause a drop in the cold end andf ambient air temperature. The thermometer will pick up not just the heat but the air temp, try putting bluetac over the thermometer probe so its not reading air temp too.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000