The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Falco's first shed ?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Hissyfit Posted - 20/10/2011 : 09:44:46
Little Falco has been hiding away since the weekend, and this morning has had his first shed with us. As this is our first hatchling, I just wanted to check something. The shed was complete, but the head part was all balled up. When I unravelled it everything was normal. Is this just a hatchling thing as when Voldemort sheds it looks like he just stepped out of it?
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
hillzi Posted - 20/10/2011 : 21:10:51
It doesn't really look like a sock but more of a used up, rolled up rubber sock...

As everyone else has said make sure eyecaps and tail tip are on the shed. I tend to handle mine for a few minutes after as theyr'e generally active after a shed to check for any missed flakes and just to be sure check the tip!
Spreebok Posted - 20/10/2011 : 16:24:46
One of mine does this all the time, it's icky as pulling it out to check for caps and tips is usually all sweaty xP
scottishbluebird Posted - 20/10/2011 : 15:53:35
Had only one shed that was a complete knot, no idea how he did it!
Mort13 Posted - 20/10/2011 : 14:18:27
My housies do this a lot when they shed. Looks like a rolled up sock! I think they do it on purpose just to make things difficult.
tordyjo Posted - 20/10/2011 : 13:17:34
Sometimes i've had sheds where the heads are 'balled' up and other times they look like they've just crawled out, but i've always been able to unravel the head, if its dry and crispy, wet fingers help to pull it out to check the eye caps, good job with the first shed though
Hissyfit Posted - 20/10/2011 : 10:08:22
Thank you both, thought I was worrying for nothing (as usual ).
Yes, the eyecaps & tail tip are visible Good to know it's normal, when I first saw it I though it was a big blob of something separate from the shed
Mamma Posted - 20/10/2011 : 09:53:49
its not just a hatchie thing. I have had some of the older snakes shed like this too. As long as the eyecaps and tail end are visible on the shed then everything is fine
garrie Posted - 20/10/2011 : 09:53:42
Although my corn has only had 3 sheds with me so far (he is a little over a year old, but got him 3 - 4 months ago) his sheds have been both perfect (like he just crawled out), one big lump (where it has more or less just clumped together) and split in two (where the head part actually broke off as he was sliding out of it) - i'm sure others will give further advice, but i'm pretty certain it is absolutely fine and "normal". I have seen comments on here from people whos corns literally tie knots with their sheds...

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000