The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 inside the viv

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
bigal79 Posted - 17/10/2011 : 10:07:55
hi there i have been told not to put real plants in the viv with my corn by someone in the reptile shop. buy im not sure why. so can someone advise me if i can put real plants in the viv and if so what type are best. cheers :)
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
bigal79 Posted - 17/10/2011 : 17:22:21
great stuff. thanks for all suggestions i will just stick to the fake plants then. many thanks :O)
scottishbluebird Posted - 17/10/2011 : 16:48:16
If you do stick with fake plants Dunelm Mill is really fantastic, and cheap!
lotabob Posted - 17/10/2011 : 16:02:40
If you wanted a real plant setup then it is possible to do, you may need more air vents to increase airflow, the increase in humidity would come more from the soil. It is true that in most circumstances you don't need to alter humidity levels unless your house is especially dry, I know dehumidifyers strip moisture out of houses so in circumstances it is necessary to spray. I'm actually looking into air plants to use on the backgrounds but they do appear delicate but if I find any good sturdy ones I will let you know what they are.
Spreebok Posted - 17/10/2011 : 13:24:44
Just stick to plastic, your corn will be fine with them.
And certainly don't raise the humidity at any time apart from shedding, and only if your corn isn't great at shedding or you feel it needs a bit of help. As boogles says, increased humidity will often lead to Respiratory Infections. Corns come from a climate very similar to ours in humidity.
Sta~ple Posted - 17/10/2011 : 12:44:43
Real plants would get killed and flattened by a full grown corn in a viv I imagine
boogles Posted - 17/10/2011 : 10:46:47
PLEASE actually read the care sheet... dont go giving your corn a RI by making its environment too moist..
tordyjo Posted - 17/10/2011 : 10:22:43
corns don't need a raised humidity, just make sure they have a water bowl that they can fit into if they want to have a soak
Dancross0 Posted - 17/10/2011 : 10:22:26
Spraying the fake plants works.
I usually only spray if I see that my snakes are due a shed.
bigal79 Posted - 17/10/2011 : 10:19:17
well the reason that im thinking of putting real ones in the viv is so i can mist them to raise the humidity in the viv. buy can i just spray the fake plants would this do the same. :)
Dancross0 Posted - 17/10/2011 : 10:14:41
Fake plants are also easier to clean; there is no soil to worry about harbouring bacteria, and you can clean them in the sink.
tordyjo Posted - 17/10/2011 : 10:09:21
a lot of real plants are toxic to snakes if ingested, there is a thread for which plants are safe.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000