The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Ate a Beech Chip!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Kez Posted - 13/10/2011 : 14:05:25
Hi everyone

I wonder if you could please put my mind at ease. I fed Maizie last night for the first time since her shed and she took the food aggressively, finally, which was great. However, in her haste, there was one small beech chip from her substrate which attached itself to the fluff and there was absolutely nothing I could do to stop her eating it. I daren't disturb her and try to remove it with tweezers for fear of her regurging

I know I'm possiby worrying unduly as it's literally just 1 chip about 5mm square and she swallowed it without any problem and it's usually only if the snake takes substrate in on a regular basis when feeding that it starts to cause a problem, but do you think she'll be ok on this occasion? I intend putting some kitchen towel in future to try and avoid the situation occurring again.

Thanks for your help
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Auld Baldy Posted - 15/10/2011 : 23:00:29
I want to see you in the full riot gear and kettling the monster.
scottishbluebird Posted - 15/10/2011 : 22:09:58
^ ^ i would love to see that vid if you do it!!
gingerpony Posted - 15/10/2011 : 21:24:34
i should some time, it can be quite funny can't even walk past her viv for the next 2 hours without her almost coming through the glass at you! i worry about her either hurting herself or managing to dislodge the glass/runners.
she's in the top of a 3-viv stack and i'm 5'4" so when she came flying out she was literally right in my face lol

hope you never slip into 'complacent corn-feeding mode' with your falsie MR!!
tk72 Posted - 15/10/2011 : 09:25:09
ginger pony you have to film her feeding you could put it on to scare us seeing as halloween is coming. LOL
mikerichards Posted - 14/10/2011 : 23:42:18
talking about feeding responses, i can feed a 7ft boa without flinching, she can come at me mouth open and it doesnt really phase me, dont get me wrong, i am all prepared to move if need be, but never had to yet, compare that to feeding my 2ft false water cobra, that thing took aggressive feeding responses to a new level, that thing did have me moving fast on a number of occasions!
they are kinda like hoggies when feeding, because they dont constrict, or really strike, they tend to lunge with their mouth open, the first thing it touches is what gets bitten, mouse or me, so i move out the way nice and quickly, he was the last thing i wanted to be done by, he got an all new level of respect!!
gingerpony Posted - 14/10/2011 : 19:54:19
stupid thing is, it was a lapse of my concentration, i know exactly what she's like
i don't even heat the rabbit up anymore just 'serve at room temperature' as her feeding response is.........well........immense!!
Mort13 Posted - 14/10/2011 : 17:33:10
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

quote:
Originally posted by Auld Baldy

Go for it GP ... and show us woosies what a real tagging should look like.

second to last feed time my temperamental 7 foot boa (known as Hissy Missy for good reason!) came flying across from the other side of the viv and out of the door at me

i screamed and ran across the room then went back armed with a RUB lid to push her back into the viv (whilst still being struck at from behind the plastic!!)#

reminder: DON'T mess with her at mealtimes!!!

Ha,ha ha I had to laugh at the thought of you screaming and running!
My MBK missed his first mouse on the first strike last night and ended up half out of the viv,was pooping myself a bit getting him back in. He then went on to drop the mouse in his water bowl,attack his plants,wreck his viv and hurl himself at the glass if I moved at all. I certainly won't be feeding him out of the viv lol!
Auld Baldy Posted - 14/10/2011 : 16:29:34
So that's where they got the idea for that scene in the Medical Centre in Aliens. Does that mean we should call you Ripley from now on.
gingerpony Posted - 14/10/2011 : 14:12:48
quote:
Originally posted by Auld Baldy

second to last feed time my temperamental 7 foot boa (known as Hissy Missy for good reason!) came flying across from the other side of the viv and out of the door at me

i screamed and ran across the room then went back armed with a RUB lid to push her back into the viv (whilst still being struck at from behind the plastic!!)

reminder: DON'T mess with her at mealtimes!!!
mikerichards Posted - 14/10/2011 : 09:42:42
quote:
Originally posted by Diesel1994

I would agree, Aspen over chippings any day, but if you must use chippings take the advice and feed in a separate tub, doesn't have to be big. Plus aspen is cheaper and goes further, for me there's no contest. In regard to the beech chip swallowed, I would recommend that you leave the snake for a few weeks to digest the chipping and regain its stomach acid levels, after this the normal feeding should resume. although leaving it a few weeks may not be necessary I like to do this, I do the same with a regurge

Out of interest, where do you think the stomach acid levels are going???
i understand the regurge, thats a given, but the beech chip???

there is no need to wait a couple of weeks before feeding again, in theory the beech chip should pass with the meal, unless it gets stuck, which is a whole different ball game.
Diesel1994 Posted - 13/10/2011 : 23:10:48
I would agree, Aspen over chippings any day, but if you must use chippings take the advice and feed in a separate tub, doesn't have to be big. Plus aspen is cheaper and goes further, for me there's no contest. In regard to the beech chip swallowed, I would recommend that you leave the snake for a few weeks to digest the chipping and regain its stomach acid levels, after this the normal feeding should resume. although leaving it a few weeks may not be necessary I like to do this, I do the same with a regurge
mikerichards Posted - 13/10/2011 : 22:53:09
Agree with okeetee Mick, and am in the same boat as GP with number of animals!
I dont use beech chips, in fact i dont use any wood based substrate at all, i use megazorb which is a horse bedding, very absorbant, good odour killer, and is 9 quid for 20 kilos.

the problem with things like beech chips and bark is not that it will cause an impaction, which it may, but its more likely to actually tear the stomach or intestine. Seen it happen with bark, not a nice thing to happen, and that was one small piece of bark with a 6 or 700g royal.
Auld Baldy Posted - 13/10/2011 : 20:06:17

I got Aspen & Chips from SPS as part of a largish order including a 3ft Vivexotic, carriage for the lot was under £9.00. Well worth it against local prices. (Doctor suggested I needed a high fibre diet!! )
gingerpony Posted - 13/10/2011 : 19:51:26
i personally don't feed any of mine in seperate tubs, for 2 reasons:

1. having quite a few corns it would make feeding time a very long and complicated process
2. dealing with non-feeders and problem feeders they're best off fed in their own, familiar enclosure

with the boas there's a third reason - there's no way i'm sticking my hand in any of their vivs if they smell rats/rabbits defrosting, and there's no way i want to get tagged transferring them back into their vivs afterwards!!
Okeetee Mick Posted - 13/10/2011 : 19:50:52
Surrey Pet Suplies, 14.5kg bale @ £18.38 plus £3.99 post, a bargain. I don't think chips are fine, very little odour and liquid absorbancy but each to there own.
lotabob Posted - 13/10/2011 : 19:23:55
Chips are fine providing you dont feed directly on them. Its quite likely a chip that size was brushed off as it was passing through the jaws so you're not likely to get anything out the backend resembling a chip, what you want is just the normal poop passing out the back end, over the next few weeks you'll have to keep an eye on Maizie.
Kez Posted - 13/10/2011 : 19:05:53
Thank you so much Auld Bauldy, I really appreciate your advice. I'm going to take that on board and buy her a new box at the weekend so I can start feeding her in it next week

The problem when you're new to something is that you do everything you're told to because you think it's what's best and you can't go wrong, so to try something different like feeding in a box outside of the viv caused me to feel really uncertain and unhappy that I might be upsetting Maizie. Now I know that she'll be fine and get used to it, I feel better and at least I wont have the worry of her ingesting any more beech chips.

Fingers crossed she's pooping and peeing on me as per usual after tomorrow; it'll be the only time I'll be happy to be soiled on mind!!!

EDIT: Just seen your message Mick. Thanks for the advice on the aspen; I'm not sure if the Centre I go to sell it, I've only ever seen the chips. I'll have a look at the weekend when I go to buy more food for Maizie. If they don't, do you buy yours online, or would somewhere like Pets at Home sell it? Thanks again
Okeetee Mick Posted - 13/10/2011 : 19:03:27
I would have thought at 14 months she will be fine, I just had visions of a hatchling trying to digest a large beech chip. I say again ditch the beech chips and use Aspen. Having used them both I know what I prefer
Auld Baldy Posted - 13/10/2011 : 18:53:00
Not handling after a feed means not having it out for and extended 'play' session. The easiest thing to do is feed in a small tub and when finished simply offer the box up to let the snake scuttle back into its favourite hide. It won't disturb her or cause a regurge. As for expecting food every time you put your hand in, she will just have to get used to the disappointment.

BTW, we were all hatchlings and had to ask the same questions at some time.
paulie78 Posted - 13/10/2011 : 18:46:19
In the event of me having to drop feed in one of the snakes rubs i always remove the substrate and line it with kitchen roll instead im a born worrier so its just for peace of mind lol

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000