The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 First time snake and first time feed.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Pip Posted - 08/10/2011 : 14:00:13
Hopefully going to feed Zebedee tomorrow or monday, off back to the shop in a bit to get some pinkies for him. I know they will tell me what to do but could someone just point me in the right direction regarding defrosting, how long do I leave him before deciding he isn't going to take it and what do i with whats left if he does refuse? We kept the rub he came in to feed him in, its making sure i do it correctly. Do I just put it in or wave it in front of him? Have had a hunt but couldnt find anything on here but probably just can't find it knowing me lol
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Pip Posted - 09/10/2011 : 16:41:59
I have a tub with his name on that i defrosted it in for about an hour or more then fed him.
lotabob Posted - 09/10/2011 : 11:23:25
Defrosting mice can be done just by sitting it out and letting it defrost. I wrap mine in cling film and leave them out, about an hour for pinkies to 3 hours for medium rats. Deforsting them quickly using water just washes some of the scent off and rapid defrosting seems to lead to a greater chance of the mouse popping. It may also still be frozen in the middle and warm on the outside, snakes and ice aren't the best combo. Getting them out to defrost with plenty of time to defrost is a better bet in my opinion.
thistle Posted - 08/10/2011 : 23:10:06
Glad it went ok, even if you did have a few heartstopping minutes when he disappeared.
Okeetee Mick Posted - 08/10/2011 : 19:42:16
Glad to hear it went well, always love feeding time.
tordyjo Posted - 08/10/2011 : 19:28:40
pleased it went well, well apart from the initial hiccup
Pip Posted - 08/10/2011 : 19:21:21
Ha, that was amusing! Took him out and handlec until calm and transferred him to is rub. I noticed the probes weren't in the right place so took the lid off viv and spent some time adjusting all this. Put the vines and hide back in, put lid on and went to get pinkie. Went back to the rub and carefully got it down and took lid off to find no hiding snake!!! Daughter in tears cos she thought he was gone, Dad not looking to happy, youngest just getting in the way. I am on my belly looking under the cupboard, eldest with torch suddenly yells, there he is, curled up under the electric socket. Put the tub with pinkie in in front to tempt him out but he had other ideas and planned on sneaking past. Therfore a grab was made and Zebedee was caught.

So onto feeding, put him in the tub with the pinkie. He hen sniffed it out but didnt seem interested until I dangled it in front. He knocked it out of the tweezers and swallowed it down no problems. Waited for it to disappear and put the tub in his viv so he can come out without handling.
So all in all a successful feed and not as scary as I thought and all three girls watched with wonder and amazement and nobody grossed out lol.

Thanks for all your help, feel much more confident now.
ga-rat Posted - 08/10/2011 : 16:06:17
I put the pinkie in a food bag and submerge that into a bowl of warm/hot water for about 10-15 mins.

I go back to it and give a squeeze between my fingers (whilst its still in the bag), when you squeeze it you can see if it has gone floppy yet and if it has any cold spots, I make sure that I don't touch the pinkie (transfer sent) with my finger at all.

Once the pinkie is nice and soft I take it and place it next to feeding container (still in bag), I lift Tangee out of her rub and handle just for a couple of mins to calm her down, I then place Tangee into the feeding container lined with kitchen towel, once she is in and having a look around I quickly pick the pinkie up by the tail or back leg with tweezers, then dangle it just in front of her nose, it only takes her a few seconds to strike, once she has it thats it she isn't letting it go for anything.

Good luck!!!
garrie Posted - 08/10/2011 : 15:30:17
Try not to jump to much if he has a good strike on him I hope it goes well for you
Pip Posted - 08/10/2011 : 14:33:44
Thanks guys, excited but also nervous lol.
Okeetee Mick Posted - 08/10/2011 : 14:08:58
To be honest I'd be very surprised if he refuses food. Two of mine snatch from the feeding tongs and coil and the other two are both very laid back and will eat only from the bottom of the feeding rub after a couple of minutes. I defrost mine in a small plastic cup in hand hot water for about 15 minutes.
tordyjo Posted - 08/10/2011 : 14:07:30
For pinkies i tend to leave about 45 mins to an hour to make sure they're thouroughly defrosted, If he doesn't take it straight away just leave it in with him, after 4-5 hrs if he hasn't taken i usually take it out, some say leave overnight, but i think by then it'll be on the turn and not too nice. I usually use tweezers or something to drop the mouse in, i've one that'll take it while its in the air and two that just want me to put it in their vivs and leave for them to get at leisure. Try each technique till you learn which way your snakie likes it

good luck with the feed and don't forget to let us know how it goes

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000