The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Change things round or leave it?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Hissyfit Posted - 05/10/2011 : 11:13:40
Voldemort moved into his new viv a week ago now, and he's never gone in the warm hide at all. He was fed on Monday, and went into the cool hide and has been there ever since. When he was in his little exo terra the warm end was on the right, it's now on the left (divider stopped access to the other cable hole)as that's where the cables could go. I've been worrying because he's recently eaten, the temps are 30.1 warm end 24.2 cool end. Are they such creatures of habit that he'll always think the warm end is on the right? Should I just leave him to it, or move the heat mat to where it used to be in the other tank?
I know I'm probably worrying for nothing, but as he's usually in the warm hide after eating this has given me cause for concern.
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Hissyfit Posted - 05/10/2011 : 16:49:10
quote:
Originally posted by kdlang

I would possibly try turning your thermostat down a touch. 30 is at pretty much the highest point the warm end should be and maybe it is too warm for him. Other than that you could try switching the hides around (as long as the one you put in the warm end has an open bottom) to see if he prefers one hide to the other.

I did think that, and turned it down just after checking earlier, will look again in a bit. Swapping the hides won't help though, he has matching hides at both ends. I'd need to move the heat mat if that's what he prefers, but will wait for him to come out first before messing him about
Hissyfit Posted - 05/10/2011 : 16:45:40
quote:
Originally posted by Auld Baldy

Hissy, just to let you know that we are having a free full rain week this week in Glasgow. In comparison, last week was the hottest September on record and beat most what was supposed to be Summer.

Funny, I have a Sister who's always sticking up for the weather, the other Sister is just back from Spain and complaining it's feezing and chucking it down
kdlang Posted - 05/10/2011 : 15:16:58
I would possibly try turning your thermostat down a touch. 30 is at pretty much the highest point the warm end should be and maybe it is too warm for him. Other than that you could try switching the hides around (as long as the one you put in the warm end has an open bottom) to see if he prefers one hide to the other.
Auld Baldy Posted - 05/10/2011 : 14:59:38
Hissy, just to let you know that we are having a free full rain week this week in Glasgow. In comparison, last week was the hottest September on record and beat most what was supposed to be Summer.
Hissyfit Posted - 05/10/2011 : 13:33:28
I'm probably just worrying for nothing then He has gone from a small terrarium into a proper viv, but he's been out exloring and seems very relaxed in it Just he's not moved since eating, but then I gave him his first medium mouse, so may take longer to digest.
Aegis - I can imagine how cold it is there, we spent a night there during a quick tour of Scotland in the Spring, and were lucky to have a full rain free week! I'm from Glasgow, so know not to expect nice weather when we go to visit
Aegis Posted - 05/10/2011 : 12:04:20
Change it if you like, but snakes are clever wee things and if he needed to go to the warm end then he would! If the room temperature is quite warm then there may be no need for him to want to shift to the warm side! My corn hardly leaves the warm side but my room temp in the livingroom isnt that warm. (we live in a rather cold area of scotland)
Mamma Posted - 05/10/2011 : 11:43:38
I would just leave it as it is. He will settle in. Its like hes gone to a new home again. Hes just adjusting. Has he gone from a smaller enclosure into the viv? It could be that hes finding the new enclosure too open and big. If he has moved from a smaller enclosure to a bigger one its maybe a good idea to make sure there is plent of coverage for him (eg plants toilet roll tubes etc) throughout the bigger enclosure. This will make him feel less open and nervous.
Simmy_82 Posted - 05/10/2011 : 11:18:01
I change mine around everytime i clean her out. But you'd have thought that if they wanted to be warm they'd go to the warm end. With the warm weather we'd had lately i've hardly seen mine in the warm end either to be honest.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000