The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Handling hatchlings

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
oakleyman18 Posted - 25/09/2011 : 00:02:51
What with the baby season meaning everyone now has hatchlings, I thought it would useful to open a thread of discussion about how to handle hatchings.

It's been so long since i've handled one, i've completely forgotten how skittish they are.. Im only used to adults! She was acting all cobra like after her week of downtime to acclimatise, but bit me 3 times on being taken out :( she calmed down after a few minutes, but does anyone have some useful hints on how to handle hatchlings, ie, how to pick them up, how long to handle them for, etc? And how to avoid getting tagged... I'm more scared of my hatchie now than my BRB!! Lol :
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
huffy_86 Posted - 25/09/2011 : 16:03:36
We must be lucky as we've never been tagged or bitten by Pablo. As newbie snake owners we were a little cautious to begin with but once we've picked him up he'll struggle a bit then calm down within 30 secs or so.

We were told to put our hand in his rub palm side up but flat down so he's got nothing to bite on to. That got him used to our smell and then to pick him up in one quick scoop so to not annoy him. At the moment we have him out Thursday - Sunday for 10 - 15 mins a day under advice so he doesn't lose too much body heat and get stressed. Can't wait for him to get big so we can have him out for longer now though!
grudie Posted - 25/09/2011 : 09:04:42
with my wee one i just go staright in,if you hesitate they get to know that if they act that way you wont get them out,she doesnt get a chance to react lol,ive never been bitten and shes never been stand offish.

i handle her from wed-sunday and have her out for about 10-15 mins each time as their body temp goes down quicker,but we had some really sunny days and i had her out by the window for a bit longer to let her explore,i also make a habit of running her through all my fingers touching her so she gets used to it.

im sure they will get fed up of biting you soon
kimbo Posted - 25/09/2011 : 08:18:31
I think I must have been lucky as neither of my babies are biters (thank god !!).But they are quick ! x x
lotabob Posted - 25/09/2011 : 01:37:17
Just got to get through that bitey flighty stage, they soon simmer down. I always handled Spot with a big towel on my knee, bought me some time if he got away from me. Other than that, just don't hesitate and as they are so little and getting tagged doesn't hurt they soon learn biting doesn't make you back off. Approach low and steadily is how I do it.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000