The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 new corn snake

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
nikki2512 Posted - 03/07/2011 : 10:28:29
hi all i am new to the forum:),we just got a young corn snake yesterday and after having lots of different animals as pet through my life a snake is one i haven't had,and i am worried about his tank being warm enough for him we were advised by the pet shop to buy a heat mat for him to place under one half of the tank which we have done,and also a spotlight to shine down on the same part as where the heat mat is,but everytime we put this on he goes to the cool side of his tank and curls up around his water bowl,so i looked online yesterday at a few websites (caresheets)about cornsnakes and most of them said they don't actually need a spotlight especially in the warmer weather so now we don't know what to do??,we have a thermometer on the ground in his tank which the pet shop also advised and that says 27 c when just the heat mat is on which is as i have read within the temperature advised for a cornsnake,we were just wondering if anyone on here could give us a bit of advise on this please,sorry about the long essay and thanks anyone for reading.
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
ogri Posted - 04/07/2011 : 13:05:39
As a temporary measure you can use an upside down ice cream tub or a margarine tub without the lid washed and disenfected with a hole cut out for entry
nikki2512 Posted - 04/07/2011 : 11:02:15
hi spreebok,yeah we have got the heat mat just covering one side of the floor but we haven't got a hide in each end,will get him another one when get chance to go to the pet shop,if he goes on the cold side he has been burying himself under the floor bedding by his water bowl,so will do that thanks:)
Spreebok Posted - 03/07/2011 : 23:35:54
Hi Nikki, congrats on your new addition!
In regards to heating and shelter, have you got the heatmat covering about 1/3rd to Half the vivarium floor? It must not cover the whole base, as snakes need access to hot and cold to thermoregulate :)

Also, you'll want to put a hide in each end, so one in the cold end, one in the hot end, so the snake isn't forced to choose between hest and security, and will feel safe at either end! :)
nikki2512 Posted - 03/07/2011 : 22:02:46
hi ogri,he is in a glass tank he has his reptile water bowl and one of the reptile rocks that has a hole on one side for him to go in to hide,he has a thermometer in there on the floor and to cover the floor he has the reptile softwood bedding,it says on the bag for all reptiles(snakes,lizards and insects),also he has a heat mat but i have been advised on here to turn this off till i our thermostat arrives,i have got a picture but not sure how to put it on here :)
ogri Posted - 03/07/2011 : 21:20:34
What kind of viv is snakey in now and what stuff have you got in the viv
nikki2512 Posted - 03/07/2011 : 18:39:18
right ordered one now thankyou every1 for your help :)
Vixyg Posted - 03/07/2011 : 16:06:23
Yes that is what you need. :o) u might want to turn the mat off until it arrives just to be safe, its perfectly warm enough at the moment to turn it off, just make sure its up and running with the stat before you feed her as they need the extra warmth for digestion :)
nikki2512 Posted - 03/07/2011 : 14:21:32
hi,thankyou all for your replies,i have just looked online for a mat stat thermostat and i have found one called the habistat mat stat reptile heat mat thermostat from a place called surrey pet supplies does this sound like the right one to you it costs £19.13p,sorry to sound dumb but i am new to snakes,it says it can be used with matts up to 100 watts.does anyone know if this is a good enough make or if not could you tell me what is and where i can get one,thanks nikki :)
Vixyg Posted - 03/07/2011 : 11:31:02
welcome nikki

your in the right place for advice, everyone here is great and helped me so much when i first got my snake. Definately get a thermostat to run your heatmat, this really is essential for the safety of your snake as they can easily overheat. and make sure you leave snake alone for a week to settle in before any handling or feeding, this is also very important.

enjoy your new addition :o)
johno Posted - 03/07/2011 : 11:01:33
its from a petshop so id be very suprised id a stat was advised :/ sadly most pet shops dont which is a shame, get rid of the light and get a mat stat they cost £20 - £30 and are worth every penny.
ogri Posted - 03/07/2011 : 10:57:37
First things first, is the heat mat on a thermostat or just plugged in to the mains and yes the bulb is not needed.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000