The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 new owner

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
chrisc Posted - 25/06/2011 : 14:35:48
hi all im the proud new owner of a 4 year old corn snake so thought i would post here to check im doing it all right.
pheonix is about 4ft long and in a 3x2x2 wooden viv with aspen shavings hides a lump of wood and a large water bowl.
there is a light fitting and bulb on the roof just for light
a heat mat that covers about a 3rd of the floor with a thermostat hooked up and a didgital thermomiter.
the temp is about 78f at the heat mat
previous owner was feeding her day old chicks every 3 or 4 days
after reading some posts im assuming its fine to feed her once a week? also im going to get some mice after reading that chicks are not great for a staple diet.
she is very tame and handles well, i know i should let her settle for a week but had her in a box and gave her a chick that she ate no problem so shes now being left alone for a couple of days.
any tips or advice whould be helpfull or tell me if im doing anything wrong. i have had snakes years ago and 2 beardies up untill a couple of months ago so am not a complete newbe to keeping reptiles
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
chrisc Posted - 29/06/2011 : 19:47:15
have been reading a lot of post on here recently an did not realise there should be a hide in the hot and cold sides so have now made one from a cardboard box for the cool side.
while putting it in there i noticed the heat mat is stone cold
the mat/stat is all plugged in and setup but the temp is still reading 78f im guessing this is normal?
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee485/chrischall/IMG_0388.jpg
chrisc Posted - 27/06/2011 : 19:26:44
thats good then. im going to get one of those cheap battery ones that come on a pace of 3
lotabob Posted - 27/06/2011 : 19:20:33
I'm building a viv stack at the moment with almost metre long LED strips, they wont be too bright and as long as they are off when its meant to be dark it will be fine.
a33272 Posted - 27/06/2011 : 19:20:18
there no brighter that a normal bulb both my vivs have white an red strip leds running the full width
chrisc Posted - 27/06/2011 : 19:16:08
hey all ive been thinking about the lighting in my viv and rather than have the light fitting and guard i was looking at those stick on led lights.
would the led's be too bright for the snake?
lotabob Posted - 26/06/2011 : 12:48:25
My hatchling shed at around every 4 weeks but now he is a bit bigger its more like once every 2 months though everytime you go up a food size they have a growth spurt and then its back to 4 weeks. The short answer is they shed when they need to, either when they've grown out of their skin, damaged it, or have parasites.
Vixyg Posted - 26/06/2011 : 12:00:55
It depends on their age and how much they are growing. A hatching and young snakes shed more often as they are growing quicker than an adult. My 2 and a half year old who is 3 and half ft, shed early april before i got her and she shed with me for the first time last night. From the general opinion i get from other posts on here it will be several times a year but this depends on growth. They shed as they are growing so if they are growing quickly they will shed more often. Im pretty sure it will be more often then 6 monthly though from what i have read. Im new at this too but have gotten so much help and iformation on here, its a great place with loads of really experienced people to give advice. It will probably be fairly quiet on here today due to a lot of them being at the reptile show in donny.
chrisc Posted - 26/06/2011 : 11:12:11
i will leave her alone now untill i feed her on saturday.
another quick question, how often do snakes shed?
my beardies were every 6 months ish are snakes the same
Vixyg Posted - 26/06/2011 : 09:19:17
thats a normal reaction for most of the time they dont usually do much else anyway a lot of the time! You wont see her doing much for a couple of days and make sure to giver her at least 48 hours to digest before any handling. And if you have just got them it is important to leave them completely alone for a week to settle bfore feeding and handling them, just changing water and spot cleaning if needed. :o)
chrisc Posted - 26/06/2011 : 07:46:23
hey all just a quick question after feeding phoenix she was under the hide for most of yesterday and this morning is half buried in the substrate.
im guessing this is a normal reaction while she digests her meal?
chrisc Posted - 25/06/2011 : 14:41:51
no its not guarded. will go and take it out untill i get one for it
gmac Posted - 25/06/2011 : 14:39:07
looks good, but you havent said if the bulb is guarded, even if it does not give off heat it will still require to be guarded.

edit: and welcome to the forum

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000