The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 garter panic lol

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Rake Posted - 21/06/2011 : 14:04:07
please forgive me mods for posting this here but i needed a quick answer, i have just received my baby red sided garter snake and it is tiny i mean really tiny about size of a earth worm (that its supposed to eat)i was expecting a slightly larger baby, so should i house it in the small tub it came in ? food is also a problem cuz its head aint much bigger than a match stick, also with the heat mat will it be ok on there it is statted ? ive read all there is to read about them just wasnt expecting sumfink so diddy
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Spreebok Posted - 24/06/2011 : 14:18:20
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

Guppys are yummy for garters, get a small tank and breed them up.

Haha, that wont take much! Guppies are like a never ending food supply! To maximise survival of the baby guppies, so more food, put lots of cover/plants in there, things with that are dense with lots of soft, fine, leaves will do the job nicely!
Kehhlyr Posted - 22/06/2011 : 22:02:18
Guppys are yummy for garters, get a small tank and breed them up.
Rake Posted - 22/06/2011 : 11:03:09
thanks for all the advice very much appreciated, seems the general idea that they eat earth worms and fish fillets dust with calcium, easier for them to eat pinkies as they get it all in one but as said the risk of bein a fatty, so will be going with a nice varied diet, but hes settling well very inquisitive and feisty drinking and ate last night, thanks again all
Sta~ple Posted - 22/06/2011 : 09:56:33
It is my limited understanding that they eat earth worms and a special variety of fish dusted with some stuff and that mice make them very fat if that is their sole deit. To be hontest, your best bet maybe the so called dark side, there are a few breeders on there and no doubt many keepers.
tordyjo Posted - 22/06/2011 : 07:19:24
I have a friend who used to keep a garter snake, she says she fed it on fish - not sure what sort though
Kehhlyr Posted - 22/06/2011 : 03:44:49
From recollection with my old garters they could eat an earthworm that was up to a 3rd the length of their body depending on how chunky the worm was. They also loved click beetles (do they still exist???) which always used to provide a challenge to catch. Although that is also info that was around in about 1990 so could well be flawed, but my old garters seemed to thrive.
Rake Posted - 21/06/2011 : 20:23:11
am hopfully going to be able to train him to eat pinkies so i dont have to use calci powder, hes in his new home now very active very nosy, just snatched like lightning a small 2 millimetre piece of worm i snipped off wit scissors not sure if head or tail lol
ogri Posted - 21/06/2011 : 19:52:44
Have you tried giving tiny some earth worms or as tiny is a garter it will probably eat fish of small varieties
Karakal Posted - 21/06/2011 : 19:29:02
Tiny!!
Unpleasant but would chopping up a pinkie for him/her work?
Rake Posted - 21/06/2011 : 14:38:13
cheers for the advice, am just shocked by his size its kind of threw me
a33272 Posted - 21/06/2011 : 14:31:22
mat will be fine after all there kept on mats in tubs by breeders in the first place, cant see why u cant keep it in the tub until its abit bigger

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000