The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 heat mat confusion

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
tarotpodge Posted - 13/06/2011 : 13:14:42
I have the 2 newbies, each in their own faun of the same size. The fauns are sharing a heat mat. The heat mat is under each faun equally. The heat mat is being controlled by a thermostate(i am waiting for a delivery of a pulse mat stat and a second thermometer). Mat stat is set to 84f. Just taken thermometer readings from both fauns. One is reading 84f. The other is reading 91f. Any ideas?
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
tarotpodge Posted - 15/06/2011 : 13:58:35
Both now on seperate heat mats, with individual stats. Tempretures have settled well. Had them a week now, but i am going to let them settle for one more week(maybe more) due to all the tweeking and moving into fauns. Indiana(normal) seems very well adjusted and settled but Savanna (ghost motley and slightly smaller) is not so relaxed and is on edge. I think she is just a very sprightly little snake. It doesnt help that iv had to clean them out nearly everyday wiv all the weeing and pooing thats been going on.....
tarotpodge Posted - 13/06/2011 : 17:28:47
They have only moved in to fauns on Friday. It Was In a bit of a panic. I Got them on Wednesday and was advised it was ok to cohabitate. So set them up in one viv. Then i was worrying(as my own opinion was that snakes should be housed seperatly), read the related thread on here and decided to seperate as the slightly smaller one is quite feisty and both seem very hungry (hence the quick transfer). Its just teathing problems. Will get there with a bit of tweeking and when i have my extra stuff.
Think it is quite funny that i had to turn down the offer of a cuppa cos "im keeping an eye on vivarium tempretures".....I must sound like a right loon lol
Mort13 Posted - 13/06/2011 : 16:27:16
It may be just that it needs time to settle. I had the same problem as I decided to have my housies tubs on a heat strip,on off matstat and 2 thermometers and the temperatures were all over the place. This was before I got them as I had everything up and running for ages before lol. There could be 5 degrees C between them at times,had me so stressed!
It calmed down loads though in the end and theres hardly any fluctuation now,the max difference I get between them now is 0.03 degrees C. You may find the on off is adequate.
tarotpodge Posted - 13/06/2011 : 15:45:03
Blonde moment over (no offence meant).
i worked out what happened. I changed one fauns subatrate, put lid back on. Then changed the other. Then had to change the second one again (little bugger done a poo right after i had changed her) so caused a fluctuation in heat in the first faun. But second faun was cooled so thermostate still kicking in. Both fauns have now settled on same tempreture. Doesnt help having the on/off thermostat. Just waiting for my purchases. Yes will be alot better when other thermometer arrives.
Panic over. Thank you
herriotfan Posted - 13/06/2011 : 15:06:30
It would be ideal for each to have their own mat, stat and thermometre. However if you're using two digital thermometres you will at least get more accurate readings.
tarotpodge Posted - 13/06/2011 : 13:27:39
now they are a similar tempreture....so confused
tarotpodge Posted - 13/06/2011 : 13:20:27
one heat mat, run off one thermostate and one probe. Figured that the heat mat would heat equally across the whole surface. Probe is placed central of the heat mat in one faun. Would it be better to run seperate heat mats for each faun with seperate thermostates then.
herriotfan Posted - 13/06/2011 : 13:16:18
Is the probe in the same place for both?

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000