The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Set up problems causing stress?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
LucyB Posted - 12/06/2011 : 10:41:31
Rio is a 3 year old carolina corn who has been with us for 3 weeks. He came in his previous 2ft viv with a basking bulb on a matt stat as a heat source. He had previously had the lamp on a dimming stat but the previous owners kept that stat.

I left him alone for a week and once we stated handling him he was lovely and relaxed. Has fed well, and shed on Wednesday - I didn't handle him when he was in blue as he seemed less relaxed than he had been previously.

Anyway.... thursday I pick him up to handle and he flipped out. He actually flipped himself over trying to get away! Settled after 5-10 minutes. Got him out again yesterday, and he was flighty for a few minutes before settling.

He ate fine during shed, and my initial thought when he flipped out was that i'd surprised him, but i didn't do anything unusual?

The heat source is constantly turning on and off and I'm wondering if this could be causing him stress? I have ordered a heat matt and 64l rub to move him to so he feels more secure and gets a preoper day/night difference. Do you think he is displaying signs of stress? Would changing the set up now do more harm to him than good?

Worried snake mummy needing advice!
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
a33272 Posted - 13/06/2011 : 13:43:55
If it is a visual bulb then might be causin him abit of stress with it coming on an off all the time. If u got a mat stat all u need is the mat which is easy enough to get hold of
LucyB Posted - 13/06/2011 : 12:09:03
Just a quick update...... Just had Rio out for armchair walkies again and he was like a puppy! SOOOOO relaxed and lovely...... I think maybe we just made each other jump on Friday and caught each other by surprise!!!

I have left the bulb setup on as it got really cold here yesterday and Saturday night but will switch him into his new rub/heatmat setup as soon as it comes which will hopefully be in the next few days!
LucyB Posted - 12/06/2011 : 12:55:07
I think it's a 60w visual basking bulb. It literally turns on and off every 5-10 minutes :-/
a33272 Posted - 12/06/2011 : 12:50:52
a mat stat on a bulb is deffo not the best combo. especailly at night. is it a visual basking bulb or just heat emmiting
LucyB Posted - 12/06/2011 : 12:46:58
He was fed on Wednesday. (I didn't handle him until the Friday..... not the Thursday as I wrote in original post!)

I'm using the matt stat with the probe on the back wall of the viv level with the bulb and a dial thermometer is attached to the warm side of the viv near the bottom of the viv. (I'm aware that this is not ideal and have also ordered an exo terra digital thermometer along with the new heat mat and extra hides as there is only one useful hide in the viv).

Since writing the thread, I've handled him again, and he settled faster again today and was lovely and relaxed by the end, but I'm still not happy that his set up is ok.... I left it for a few weeks as it was as I didn't want to stress him by changimng everything, but now I wish i had ordered everything straight away!
kdlang Posted - 12/06/2011 : 12:08:28
I would certainly think that the bulb turning on and off won't help. Personally, as long has he hasn't been fed in the last couple of days, I would consider turning off the bulb until you get your heat mat. It wont hurt him to be without heat for a few days as its not cold at the moment. Just don't feed him any more until you know his temperatures are correct and stable.
How are you monitoring the temperatures? What type of thermometer are you using and where is it placed?

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000