The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 substrate and changing viv

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
tordyjo Posted - 11/06/2011 : 15:29:47
Harry is 10 months old, weighs just over 60g and is approx 2ft in length. He's been feeding on double fuzzies however i've just bought a small mouse to try to him with and plan to feed him a small mouse every 7 days. He's currently in a faun 11 inches in length so he's definately ready for another home.

I have a viv ready that is 2ft in length x 1ft deep, am i likely to stress him putting him in there or should i get him a bigger faun/RUB till he's grown a bit.

He's currently on kitchen roll, the viv came with viv carpet which i don't really want to use because of the cleaning and disinfecting of it, i would rather use a substrate. If he goes in the viv would he be ok with substrate like aspen or should i wait until he's a bit bigger.
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
tordyjo Posted - 12/06/2011 : 19:31:31
thankyou, his faun's been kept inside the viv for the last few weeks till he was ready to move, so hopefully he'll settle in fine, i'll post some pics once he's in and settled
HannahB Posted - 12/06/2011 : 19:27:42
quote:
Originally posted by tordyjo

another quick question when i eventually move harry into the new viv - should i leave him for a week to settle in, the same as bringing a new snake home and just spot clean?

if you put some of his current hides in his new viv with him then that will help him settle in but tbh he won't need a full week - he's still going to be in the same house with the same people
lucifer Posted - 12/06/2011 : 17:27:23
quote:
Originally posted by tordyjo

another quick question when i eventually move harry into the new viv - should i leave him for a week to settle in, the same as bringing a new snake home and just spot clean?

Depends on the snake, when we moved Lucien and Mont straight into their Vivs they were more than happy to come out and be handled.

But I know Zero will be a moody old git when we move him
tordyjo Posted - 12/06/2011 : 16:58:40
tordyjo Posted - 12/06/2011 : 10:10:05
thanks guy's he's normally a good feeder, however he refused his last feed but i'm putting it down to him going into blue, its the first feed he's ever refused with me so normally is a really good feeder, he's due another feed tonight, so i plan to keep the small mouse for after he's shed and try fuzzies with him tonight
rubberbiscuit Posted - 12/06/2011 : 05:16:44
Wow, its amazing the differences in feeding regimes everyone uses. Kiora is roughly the same age/weight/length and has only just moved onto 1 fluff every 5-7 days!!
Although he is a ninja stealth snake who loves to stay hidden so I think he will stay in his faun quite a while before moving up a size..:)
eeji Posted - 11/06/2011 : 22:58:04
at that size i wouldn't be worried about feeding him on aspen substrate. i also wouldn't be worried aboout moving him to a bigger house and feeding bigger food either (as long as he's already a good eater)
HannahB Posted - 11/06/2011 : 17:17:00
as long as he isn't fed on the substrate they can have it from any age/size..
he'll love hiding around in it!
gmac Posted - 11/06/2011 : 16:32:25
Will be fine moving into a 2ft viv with suitable substrate. Also don't really see any issues with giving him small mice assuming he is big enough girth wise for one.
Mamma Posted - 11/06/2011 : 16:20:32
He is big enough xxx
tordyjo Posted - 11/06/2011 : 16:14:05
thanks for that, i've had a look at the care sheet which is really useful, i was told by the local pet/reptile shop to wait until he was big enough before using a substrate - but how big is big enough?? I should have added he is currently in blue, so i'm going to wait until the shed's happened like you say, i don't want to do too much at once. I'll try moving him into the viv once he's shed and then upping his prey a few weeks later, i can always use the faun for feeding until my other little girl needs it.
herriotfan Posted - 11/06/2011 : 16:04:56
I wouldn't do both things at once, either move him up a size with his food or move him into the bigger viv. Both could stress him a bit so one thing at a time would probably be better! Then just give him a couple of weeks before doing the next thing.
He should be ok in the viv as long as you give him plenty of places to hide. Aspen in the viv will be fine but don't make it too thick over his heatmat. You could check out the subject of substrates on the caresheet for tips and advice if you want to.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000