The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 does a snake have self recognition

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Rake Posted - 10/06/2011 : 22:41:22
putting this out there for all snakes as tonight witnessed some strange behaviour, i had my corn out on my desk with me were i had earlier placed a small mirror. snakey noticed it and became inquisitive, resulting in first a staring contest, following back and forth and finally some nose butting that turned into total ignorance so i removed the mirror gave him a few minutes and placed it back which just resulted in him carrying on ignoring it like it wasnt even there....so did he figure it out that it was himself ? or did he assume just another snake ?
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Rake Posted - 13/06/2011 : 17:50:23
mine didnt seem too impressed by it, seems each snake has a different reaction, my brothers florida king actually attacked his desk top mirror on sight it was savage lol
Isoldael Posted - 13/06/2011 : 13:48:15
I've had my snake in front of a mirror before, she actually keeps looking behind the mirror only to find that there is nothing there. She seems fascinated by the whole thing xD
Rake Posted - 11/06/2011 : 17:46:36
his behaviour was just strange lol much like that of a few of my pets tho, ill start to worry if i see mine sniffing itself let alone attempting to take a bite
Sta~ple Posted - 11/06/2011 : 17:34:15
No, not many animals have this ability so a snake will defiantly not. As others have said... yep they dumb! My king and one of my corns have a nibble on themselves if they smell mousey. King goes a bit mental even thinking there is another snake about let alone seeing one lol! He saw a toy one and got very interested... in eating it.Not sure on the seeing ability of a cornsnake so I don't know if they would fully realize it's a snake in the mirror either, maybe if they were also smelling themselves :P
Rake Posted - 11/06/2011 : 14:34:18
poor dumb sods, just goes to show having your brain in your stomach can be a good thing
lotabob Posted - 11/06/2011 : 13:29:14
Kings don't just bite themselves they eat themselves! Poor dumb eating machines.
Kehhlyr Posted - 11/06/2011 : 12:02:04
quote:
Originally posted by Rake

just trying to get a idea of there intelligence, from the sounds of it they aint got much lol

Whereas Kingsnakes are so thick they make 2 short planks look like a computer.
That's what makes them so great.
stuart619 Posted - 11/06/2011 : 09:28:09
The truth is although we love our snakes, they are pretty dumb. They rely on instinct more than intelligence I think. In truth their prey is often much more intelligent.
Rake Posted - 11/06/2011 : 09:13:57
just trying to get a idea of there intelligence, from the sounds of it they aint got much lol
animalcrazy Posted - 11/06/2011 : 07:51:00
Only a few species recognise their own reflections. Us, Doplhins, some Apes, elphants and Magpies. One of many reason I chose a magpie tattoo, very clever birds :)
gingerpony Posted - 11/06/2011 : 06:49:25
as above ^^
Kehhlyr Posted - 10/06/2011 : 23:56:44
Nope, they have no self-recoqnition.
Snakes will often enough bite themselves during or just after feeding if they smell mice on themselves.
SexyBear77 Posted - 10/06/2011 : 22:51:51
I doubt they have any self-recognition tbh.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000