The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Bad news

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
ogri Posted - 08/06/2011 : 20:31:34
My corn wasn't even home for a week and now he has passed away. I got him on the 30/05/11 and took him home. He was shy at first but during the 7 days of not being able to handle him he came out more and more. I weighed him on the 06/06/11 and he was 5 grams and approx 12" long. I held him on 07/06/11 and he was fine and exploring my hands. I defrosted a pinkie mid afternoon today and went to feed him this evening but as soon as I opened the viv the smell hit me. All the temps in the viv were in the hot end 28-30'c and down to 21-23'c in the cool end his water was changed daily so I can't figure out what happened. I have checked him over and can't find and breaks in his body and the only thing I could find was about 3/4 of the way down him there is a green patch like a bruise on his stomach, any ideas or indication as to what happened to him would be appreciated. I am going to call the shop tomorrow and see what they are going to say. I am very sad and at the same time extremely cheesed off
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Serpentor777 Posted - 22/06/2011 : 07:47:33
Ouch that really sucks D:. I hope that your next corn snake will do better.
Newbie Posted - 21/06/2011 : 22:37:49
Sorry to hear what has happened, the exact same thing happened to me, my caramel motley Pliskin was with me for 9 days before he passed away, he to had no physical marks to suggets illness except the green bruise caused by gall bladder leakage after death.

I got another snake within a few weeks and for the first fortnight lived on my nerves! Luckily Vin is now 8-months old and doing well. I'm sure your next hatchie will be healthy. Don't blame yourself, I did at first but like the others have said, this type of thing happens. Hope you find one you like!
HannahB Posted - 21/06/2011 : 21:18:11
so sorry about your little hatchling, but pleased you haven't let it put you off snake keeping
look forwards to pics of your new little snake when you get one
ogri Posted - 21/06/2011 : 20:03:15
I am seeing a breeder in the next day or so to pick a new hatchling and get back on the horse/snake, I am looking forward to it but at the same time I am also bricking it. It feels good to know that I can count on all of you for advice and tips and also the breeder is local and he said he will give me any aftercare and advice for as long as I need/want it
whoop! whoop! can't wait
thistle Posted - 10/06/2011 : 22:56:28
So sorry for your loss. :-(

RIP little snakey.
Zemirock Posted - 10/06/2011 : 19:40:41
Sorry to hear your news :(
He may of had a virus that may have been missed and he passed away. Or he may of been ill before you brought him.
R.I.P little hatchie :(
ogri Posted - 10/06/2011 : 19:20:07
I wouldn't worry too much mate it is possibly a rareity with mine dieing (sorry about the spelling) so young
Cornsnakeluver127 Posted - 10/06/2011 : 18:56:04
sorry to hear bout your snake- bit worried now since the other comments said that some corns dnt live till there first birhday cause i have 2 corns a 19 month amel and (the one im worried bout)a 38 week normal corn.
ogri Posted - 10/06/2011 : 16:30:32
The shop in question has appologised and have given me a credit note upto the value of the hatchling and said that I can either get another snake from them or get any items from them, I an also getting straight back on the horse as I have found a breeder less than 15 minutes from where I live. He has over 60 hatchlings of various morphs and varieties and they start at £5 upwards. He said that I was welcome to go around to see them feed and ask any questions, he even said that after I get my faunarium set up he will come and check it out to see if he can spot anything that I maybe doing wrong so fingers crossed all goes well
Kehhlyr Posted - 10/06/2011 : 01:29:31
I'd speak to the shop as well.
I'm assuming they knew you were new to snake keeping, if so then there's no way (in my opinion) that someone new to the hobby should be given a snake that weighs only 5g. That is hatch weight, I had a corn given to me about 2 years ago that hadn't eaten from the day it hatched and 4 months later it was 5g.
Carson1915 Posted - 10/06/2011 : 01:17:27
As people have said sometimes they just aren't right to survive, it's nothing you have done it was just bad luck, rip little snake, don't let it put you off as the do live from hatchlings, I got my girl in december as a tiny girl, shes 10 months old and I've yet to have a problem with feeding or shedding, she's taken her food from feeding day one and only had one minor problem shedding(which a bath promptly fixed), my girls now 2.7-3ft in length and on small mice
Katie.Dublin Posted - 09/06/2011 : 23:22:14
Hard luck :(
Invalid User Posted - 09/06/2011 : 18:03:36
Such a shame. :(
Mort13 Posted - 09/06/2011 : 17:34:11
Oh no,I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. It really does sound like it was just one of those things. At least he had a week of good care with you. As said previously 5g seems tiny!
R.I.P little snake.
stuart619 Posted - 09/06/2011 : 13:06:51
Sorry to hear about your loss.

I had exactly the same thing happen to me with my first snake. It almost put me off keeping snakes but some hatchlings just aren't meant to survive and it was nothing you did wrong.

Don't let it put you off and feel proud that although he only had a short life he was loved and cared for.
Els Posted - 09/06/2011 : 10:45:56
Sorry to hear your news. I rescued my snake on 30th May - hes not responding in a way that fills me with confidence and despite the short time you really get attached. I fear Reggie passing away so know how awful it must feel for you.
FiestaSTLou Posted - 09/06/2011 : 09:22:22
so sorry to hear about your loss, you gave him a wonderful life, rip babey snakey <3
kdlang Posted - 08/06/2011 : 23:18:37
I'm so so sorry to hear your sad news. Please take comfort in the knowledge that his time with you was full of love and care. Sometimes it is just not meant to be with hatchies.

Did you get feeding records with him? Do you know when he hatched or how old he was? 5g seems pretty small.
lotabob Posted - 08/06/2011 : 22:31:02
Aww sorry to hear that.
MsThomson Posted - 08/06/2011 : 22:00:19
so sorry to hear of your sad news :(

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000