The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Temperature Query

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Els Posted - 07/06/2011 : 01:30:03
Reggie has spent one night after a drive from Devon to Windsor. Whilst collecting him and his home from Plymouth my sister noted that it seemed hot. I don't want him to have problems so please can someone dvise me how quickly I need to act. I have 2 heat pads - one underneath and one on the side of the tank. The temperature at the heated end is 34 which I'm pretty sure is too warm. Reggie is lying out at the unheated end - I have no thermometer there. There is some moisture on the sides which he is pressed up against. I intend to get this sorted on Friday however please can someone tell me if this is leaving it too long?
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Els Posted - 07/06/2011 : 23:36:30
Thanks again - will certainly take yor advice with the thermometer. He doesn't seem very happy at the moment so I have just changed his water and will let him be for a couple of days to see how he does with the temperature being a little lower now.
kdlang Posted - 07/06/2011 : 22:18:02
If your getting a new thermometer then make sure it is a digital one with a probe, the dial and strip ones are pretty useless to be honest. Beech chips should be fine, some others on here use them.
Els Posted - 07/06/2011 : 19:29:12
Hi there - thanks for your responses. I have taken off the side heat mat so thanks for that. He has managed to spill some water as well as he was hiding under his water bowl yesterday when I came back to him. There is a thermostats attached to the heatmats however I think I will get a new one. It definately feels far too warm to the touch. Currently using beech chips (chipsie?) for him as that's what my sister had in stock when I took him over - is there something better for him that I should be using? The thermometer is one of the old fashioned types so maybe I will invest in a new one of those as well......just glad I don't have children as well! But again thanks you for your advice :-)
kdlang Posted - 07/06/2011 : 09:50:27
as above. If you don't have a thermostat to control the heat mat you should turn it off for the time being until you can get one. This wont be a problem as long as you don't feed him or he hasn't been fed in the last few days. What kind of thermometer are you reading the temperatures with and where are you reading them from?

The moisture in the tank sounds like condensation which there shouldn't be unless the humidity is too high. What kind of substrate are you using, are there any damp hides in the tank or has he spilt his water at all?
Invalid User Posted - 07/06/2011 : 07:02:56
Do you have a thermostat for the heatmats? If not you need one to control the temps. I would removed the heatmat from the side. You only need one on the base.

Ideal temps are around 28*c warm end.

This might help
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4133

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000