The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Rapunzel struck at me..... Why?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Kittypuss85 Posted - 04/06/2011 : 18:06:51
Hiya,

I'm a newbie cornsnake keeper, having picked up rapunzel 2 weeks ago. She has been handling very well, very relaxed and no problem getting her from her faunarium.

Tonight I went in to say hello, change her water and handle her for a while, she saw my hand in there, I didn't go straight for her, but when I went to pick her up, she struck at me, mouth closed, the backed away into her hide straight away.

I'm wondering if they just have 'bad day's or if it's something else.

Perhaps she's due a shed? But I'm not sure what to look for, she's an amel candy corn snake, 3 months old. Past couple of days she's been out and active earlier than normal, she looks darker than she did originally. But I haven't seen her eyes go blue.

Or is it food related, we only feed her a pinky every Sunday night, is this enough?

Sorry it's so long, any advice would be much appreciated,
Thanks
:-)
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Strawb Posted - 06/06/2011 : 07:42:24
You say she looks a little darker than usual. If she appears more dull coloured that is the pre-blue phase. They do get ratty when about to slough.
Apart from when they're in blue or digesting, I do tend to ignore all the bluffing. My corn has only occasionally rattled his tail, but once he was out he was fine.
My royal hisses sometimes, but I ignore her too. Just don't put your hand towards their head and things will usually be fine.
Rake Posted - 05/06/2011 : 18:17:37
mine tried to take a chunk just because my hand smelt like a pork chop, it really is just one of them things, advice ive found differs some say just ignore it and pick em up others say leave em be so personal preference
lotabob Posted - 04/06/2011 : 20:54:20
Don't let it put you off, if it was mouth closed it was a bluff to scare you away. There are so many reasons why they get cranky or what we perceive as cranky but it is just what they do, sometimes they tolerate our presence other times they don't. It is up to you as to whether you just go for it anyway and pick her up (probably be fine once picked up) or just leave her for another day.
gmac Posted - 04/06/2011 : 20:02:05
quote:
Originally posted by Kittypuss85

Hi, thanks for replying,
I kinda figured she didn't want to be held and have left her alone, but was just wondering if there was a reason, or of she just didn't fancy it today.

yes, she's a snake is what they do
Kittypuss85 Posted - 04/06/2011 : 19:30:53
Hi, thanks for replying,
I kinda figured she didn't want to be held and have left her alone, but was just wondering if there was a reason, or of she just didn't fancy it today.
eeji Posted - 04/06/2011 : 18:58:51
its defensive, she's scared and doesn't want to be held

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000