The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 sorry. ANOTHER newbie question re:shedding

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
LucyB Posted - 02/06/2011 : 18:01:49
Rio looks like he is going to shed soon (blueish/cloudy tinge and cloudy eyes) and I was told by the lady I bought him from last week that to raise humidity she just sprayed the substrate with a water spray bottle to raise the humidity from 40% to aboiut 80%. I have done this and it's gone up to about 70% but the viv doors now have condensation on them which i wasn't expecting?!

I want to make sure i'm doing it right but at the same time as Rio is still settling in I want to 'stick to what he is used to' as much as i can. For example, i'd rather feed in a rub but he has only ever been fed in Viv so this is what I have done so far.....

Any suggestions or tips to help him shed?

3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Invalid User Posted - 02/06/2011 : 18:14:18
If he's used to having a more humid environment during shedding then a moist hide wont hurt so I would pop one in. It could be he only sheds well due to the high humidity but you wont know unless you try him without one so it's up to you really.

This thread shows one of my snakes during shedding and might help
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15501

There is this topic on shedding also.
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12296

LucyB Posted - 02/06/2011 : 18:07:44
Thanks Louise...
I was told that he has always shed fine in the past, so I think I will try and leave him to it then and see how we go?
How long would you generally expect it to be once their eyes go very cloudy until they shed? We are at a wedding on Saturday and wont be back until Sunday lunchtime so I'm worried about leaving him now!
Invalid User Posted - 02/06/2011 : 18:03:38
Unless he has a history of bad sheds there is not real need to increase the humidity. All mine shed fine without any increas.

However if you want to increase it, just put in a moist hide for him. I really wouldn't increase the humidity in the whole tank to 80%.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000