The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Temperature!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Jackk94 Posted - 25/05/2011 : 22:50:32
hi guys! i got my set up last weekend and i've got it all set up but i was wondering if the heat lamp goes inside or outside the cage to heat it up!? my vivarium is 25 degrees at the hot end with the heat mat but it won't go any higher :( i'm hoping it will go higher when i get the heat lamp sorted.

going to pick my snake up a week on saturday too! so excited.
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
grantcia Posted - 26/05/2011 : 18:44:54
just ordered one with a digital thermostat
vllb Posted - 26/05/2011 : 18:13:41
Surrey Pets is the cheapest I've found, £18 plus p&p for the basic one
grantcia Posted - 26/05/2011 : 18:11:22
could anyone recommend a good thermostat please
vllb Posted - 26/05/2011 : 18:00:50
I got mine from Forrtex, they are £2.79 + p&p for aquariam thermometorshttp://www.forttex.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=4,

they arrived yesterday and they are great.

Jackk94 Posted - 26/05/2011 : 17:49:41
is one like this okay?
http://www.surreypetsupplies.co.uk/exo-terra-digital-thermometer.html
thistle Posted - 26/05/2011 : 14:10:28
You want the temperature of the mat to be around 27-29 degrees celcius, there's normally a fluctuation of a degree or 2 as the thermostat switches on and off (try to keep it below 30). Use the reading on your digital thermometer and adjust the thermostat to get it just right.
thistle Posted - 26/05/2011 : 13:56:48
You need to get a digital thermometer (can find them dirt cheap on eBay), the dial ones are useless. The probe of the thermometer should be placed inside the tank, under the substrate, directly over the heat mat. I think you'll find that the temperature there is much higher. Heat mats don't heat the air, so placing a thermometer on the side of the tank will not give you the temp of the mat itself. Unstated a mat can become very hot and there is a real danger of burning your snake, so a thermostat is essential.
vllb Posted - 26/05/2011 : 12:38:08
sort of on the same topic, i followed advice and got the thermometers from forrtex and was shocked to find both my rubs are running at 47 degrees in the hot hot, so I have run out and got a thermostat...what should i have it at now to be ideal?
Mamma Posted - 26/05/2011 : 12:17:39
Having the thermostat ensures the heat mat will stay at a relatively even temp.... heat mats will go higher in temp without one.... .which will result in the snake suffering from burns. I would highly stress the need for a heat mat xxx
Jackk94 Posted - 26/05/2011 : 12:11:57
my heat mat is underneath the viv, its a glass one and i'm using exoterra circle thermometer. the woman at the shop said i didn't need the thermostat :| measuring the temp from the hot end at 25 degrees stuck on the side of the viv. i put the thermometer on top of the substrate where the heat mat is under the viv and it goes up to 28 degrees.
kdlang Posted - 26/05/2011 : 09:48:49
As above, have you got the mat on a thermostat? What type of thermometer are you using? Where are you measuring the temperatures from? Is it a wooden, glass or plastic tank/viv? Where is the heatmat placed?
lotabob Posted - 25/05/2011 : 23:53:27
What type of 'cage' do you have?

And as above thermostats, you got any?
Spreebok Posted - 25/05/2011 : 23:16:08
You got your mat on a thermostat? Also, lamp isn't needed when using a mat, and a mat is (when used with a thermostat) considered a bit safer :)
a33272 Posted - 25/05/2011 : 23:01:51
you shouldnt need to use a lamp if u got a mat??

where are u measureing the temp from?

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000