The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 I am stressed!!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
tracym Posted - 21/05/2011 : 13:40:45
We have had 6month old Keo for exactly one week. Handled him last night and put him back in his viv locked the door. Came down this morning and a neighbour wanted to see him so just moved his hide so she could see him and he wasn't there. To cut a long story short he has escaped!!!!! There are no holes in his viv and the door was locked, the only thing I can think of is he has squashed his body and got between the 2 sliding glass doors. (which the reptile shop said he was too big to do!)
We have searched the living room and can't find him anywhere and now I am a tad stressed and worried about Keo
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
gingerpony Posted - 22/05/2011 : 17:45:14
ha ha ha sparse isn't allowed in full!!
this swear filter is great lol
tracym Posted - 22/05/2011 : 17:33:51
the swear filter has blanked our my word! the word is the same as saying there is not much in the room.
tracym Posted - 22/05/2011 : 17:32:18
I'm afraid we haven't found him. I haven't sat still all day, I just keep looking around. It's really hard as I don't even know which room he is in. The viv is in the living room but the room is quite sp**** and I have looked everywhere, I hope he hasn't gone into the gas fire. When he escaped the living room door was open giving him access to the hallway and stairs, could he have climbed the stairs?? If he has gone into the kids bedroom we have no hope of finding him!!
Tried the bottle thing last night and going to try it again tonight, kids have been in tears today :) Can't believe how upset we are when we have only had him for 1 week.
kdlang Posted - 22/05/2011 : 16:23:42
Even cardboard in the gap isn't foolproof, check out the pics further down the thread http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9578&SearchTerms=escape.

Is there any news on the escapee Tracy?
Quiguli Posted - 22/05/2011 : 11:43:48
quote:
No need to feed them steroids, your right, they are strong enough as it is, have a look:

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15073&SearchTerms=great+escape

My Corn Kaa did this just on friday, hes about 10 months and weighs just 26g.
I check every morning on them and noticed he wasnt there.
He done the exact same thing as Lupin, I even had to call work to tell them i'd be late as I had to find my snake, they were very amused by this statement
vivtastic Posted - 22/05/2011 : 10:48:06
quote:
Originally posted by Danny919

Back to the topic, i lost my corn yesterday but i had him found in 4 hours after me and my girlfriend moved every single thing i owned in my bedroom, luckily enough he never wondered to far away from his viv, but dont give up hope, my corn is only 8 months old, he was a bit cold like when a found him but soon bk in his viv with thicker bits of cardboard inbetween the doors, im sure he will be fine, good luck and i hope you fine your snake soon !

That really is good news, i have never had an escapee myself but i can imagine the relief when you found him.

Kindest regards

Vivtastic
Danny919 Posted - 22/05/2011 : 09:30:08
Back to the topic, i lost my corn yesterday but i had him found in 4 hours after me and my girlfriend moved every single thing i owned in my bedroom, luckily enough he never wondered to far away from his viv, but dont give up hope, my corn is only 8 months old, he was a bit cold like when a found him but soon bk in his viv with thicker bits of cardboard inbetween the doors, im sure he will be fine, good luck and i hope you fine your snake soon !
gingerpony Posted - 22/05/2011 : 07:37:29
quote:
Originally posted by vivtastic

quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

vivtastic - play nice please, you're already on 50% warning, you've contributed very little info in the half a dozen posts you've submitted on this thread

I think i have made some very good points, the cardboard in the door gap was genius and i am sure will stop a number of owners loosing their snakes.

Regards

Vivtastic

if that was 'genius' then i've been a genius for years.....
you're just being argumentative.
vivtastic Posted - 21/05/2011 : 23:24:59
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

Cardboard in door, is a good idea, yes. See here: http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6641

As for the risk of forgetting to put it back, or snakes pushing it out, then just overlay a bit of tape from cardboard to door.
Just like in this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dthmW1na07E

I actually worry more often that I've forgotten to close viv doors, and regularly do forget which i why I put the tape across the cardboard as well.
I've actually had no escapes from that viv now since I've done that, even Mr Boa hasn't yet (touch wood) figured out the back is incredibly easy to push off.

I know what you mean about the doors i am sure it would be easy to develop compulsive checking disorder, sorry must dash need to check the viv doors, oh dear there i go again.

Regards

Vivtastic
Kehhlyr Posted - 21/05/2011 : 23:12:32
Cardboard in door, is a good idea, yes. See here: http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6641

As for the risk of forgetting to put it back, or snakes pushing it out, then just overlay a bit of tape from cardboard to door.
Just like in this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dthmW1na07E

I actually worry more often that I've forgotten to close viv doors, and regularly do forget which i why I put the tape across the cardboard as well.
I've actually had no escapes from that viv now since I've done that, even Mr Boa hasn't yet (touch wood) figured out the back is incredibly easy to push off.
vivtastic Posted - 21/05/2011 : 22:44:40
quote:

vivtastic - play nice please, you're already on 50% warning, you've contributed very little info in the half a dozen posts you've submitted on this thread

I think i have made some very good points, the cardboard in the door gap was genius and i am sure will stop a number of owners loosing their snakes.

Regards

Vivtastic
Spreebok Posted - 21/05/2011 : 22:17:37
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Spreebok

quote:
But on that note RUBs aren't eacape proof either, their lids are not an airtight seal there is a gap and if the snake is small enough they could potentially get through it.

Oh? The one I have kicking around is airtight?

if it's airtight it's not a proper RUB (Really Useful Box)..........

Spree is right

Your right, I was looking at the wrong box! xD There is a small gap going on in my proper RUB! I was looking at the Lock&Locke one, which is proper airtight, and locks down on all four sides. Maybe people could consider using them instead for hatchies if they are concerned about escapees!

Also, I'm right? Where? :D
lotabob Posted - 21/05/2011 : 21:44:10
quote:
Originally posted by vivtastic
What do you house your Hogg in out of interest.

Regards

Vivtastic

My Hogg is in a 18Litre RUB. I use both vivariums and RUBs. The RUB was a better short term option for a rapidly growing BCI(and cheaper, Boa's get big).

gingerpony Posted - 21/05/2011 : 21:31:10
gingerpony Posted - 21/05/2011 : 21:27:31
quote:
Originally posted by Spreebok

quote:
But on that note RUBs aren't eacape proof either, their lids are not an airtight seal there is a gap and if the snake is small enough they could potentially get through it.

Oh? The one I have kicking around is airtight?

if it's airtight it's not a proper RUB (Really Useful Box)..........

Spree is right
vivtastic Posted - 21/05/2011 : 20:59:36
quote:
Originally posted by lotabob

I've watched my corn open the glass door just by pushing on the right spot. I really don't think hatchlings should be kept in a vivarium and I can say that, I have had my Spot in a vivarium since I got him and it still needs the doors locked and the gap wedged because if I didn't even at his size he'd be out. But on that note RUBs aren't eacape proof either, their lids are not an airtight seal there is a gap and if the snake is small enough they could potentially get through it. A certain amount of escape proofing is required on any tub/rub/viv/faun with the titchy snakes its gaps and with the big snakes its strength related. I'm still not convinced my Royal couldn't just nut the glass and smash it, he is very strong lol.

But to hop back to subject, most turn up almost straight away but lots of snakes that escape find somewhere perfect for them, they can and do survive for very very long time and may even have a supply of fresh food that you don't even know are there.

What do you house your Hogg in out of interest.

Regards

Vivtastic
Spreebok Posted - 21/05/2011 : 20:46:09
quote:

Oh? The one I have kicking around is airtight? Also, you can get lock&lock 'rubs' that lock airtight, and have rubber buffers to fill and potential gaps! :)
lotabob Posted - 21/05/2011 : 20:40:53
I've watched my corn open the glass door just by pushing on the right spot. I really don't think hatchlings should be kept in a vivarium and I can say that, I have had my Spot in a vivarium since I got him and it still needs the doors locked and the gap wedged because if I didn't even at his size he'd be out. But on that note RUBs aren't eacape proof either, their lids are not an airtight seal there is a gap and if the snake is small enough they could potentially get through it. A certain amount of escape proofing is required on any tub/rub/viv/faun with the titchy snakes its gaps and with the big snakes its strength related. I'm still not convinced my Royal couldn't just nut the glass and smash it, he is very strong lol.

But to hop back to subject, most turn up almost straight away but lots of snakes that escape find somewhere perfect for them, they can and do survive for very very long time and may even have a supply of fresh food that you don't even know are there.
Spreebok Posted - 21/05/2011 : 20:32:03
When it comes down to it, I find RUBs with Small Holes and the New Style Exo Terra Cubes to be safe as houses, especially for hatchlings! :)
vivtastic Posted - 21/05/2011 : 20:24:37
quote:
Originally posted by Ailsa

Snakes on steroids, I can just imagine it lol. When I handle my little hatchling I amazed at how strong she is at just 4 months old.

You are not wrong there, weight for weight they must be many times stronger tham most animals.

Kindest regards

Vivtastic

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000