The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Buying Advice

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
DJRenegade Posted - 16/05/2011 : 20:33:47
OK so im finally thinking of buying my equipment on wednesday-thursday so i can set it all up in time for me to get a snakey.

I was thinking of getting the following:

Exo Terra Faunarium (18x12x6 1/2)
Habistat Heat Mat 6x11
Habistat Mat Stat
2x Hides
2x Exo Terra Digi Thermometers (2 - 1 for each end)
Medium Hobby Drinking Bowl (With Steps)
Aspen Bedding (Although i will be using paper towels while snakey is still a hatchling)
Some Plants and vine

Total is around £67 +P&P from SPS

What would people change? Didnt wanna go for a setup as they are quite poor TBH.

16   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
antcherry88 Posted - 18/05/2011 : 17:46:37
rather than buying 2 digital thermometers i always use these:

http://www.surreypetsupplies.co.uk/lucky-reptile-thermometer-hygro-deluxe-pro.html

Has two temperature probes in which the cool end probe has a built in hygrometer to measure humidity. Also has a min/max function.
eeji Posted - 17/05/2011 : 22:08:23
what are tongs? all mine are hand fed, even the enthusiastic strikers :)
DJRenegade Posted - 17/05/2011 : 20:49:44
TBH im a perfectionist lol - id want everything to be nice ;)

Forgot about Dunhelm mill idea, sumone told me b4.

If i can talk myself round ill use looroll etc for hides lol - how long are hatchies anyway - like 1 month old ones? and how long till they outgrow an 18" faun? (on average)
Sta~ple Posted - 17/05/2011 : 14:30:41
I just use the tongs to pick up the mice, I have a fear of touching dead things D: I use to carry the mices on bits of cardboard so my hand was near the mouse...I got bit twice by my adult corn D: She hung on and tried to eat my thumb for 5/10 mins.

Is that all part of a starter set-up? If not yu don't really need to buy hides and it is pointless to do so when they are little imo as you can just use loo rolls, small boxes woth no tape, butter tubs or anything really :D They grow out of small hides so fast it's kinda pointless to have them unless yu wnat everything to look nice. My snakes don't even use their fancy hides, they'd rather just use shoe boxes!

You can also get thermometer cheaper off ebay :D it doesn't matter about the brand of one, so long as it is digital. A lot of people use these as they are cheap and have suction cups so you can lick and stick onto the heatmat/bottom of faun.

What plants were you thinking of getting? If you have a Dunhelm mills or a cheapo shop you can buy plants there. I cant remember what shop IO went to but it was £1 for like a 3ft long leaft viney plant with purple flowers :D

Also depending on how big your snake is, you could get away with not buying a water bowl and use one of those big coffee jar lids if you fill it just half full.
crazy JJ Posted - 17/05/2011 : 13:09:23
tbh i feed all my snakies by hand including the kings, if they miss they miss, thats my hand bitten although having said that ive not been bitten yet, and i have some pretty nutty snakies when it comes to feeding.
Invalid User Posted - 17/05/2011 : 11:20:59
I feed my small corns by hand usually but there is no way I will feed my kings, milks, or boas without tongs! They strike far too hard and fast and in the case of my Goins King, he has an awful aim and even using the tongs he often brushes my hand while manically striking and missing the mouse.

I'm not scared of getting bitten, I just don't want to have a snake hanging on to me refusing to let go (because they can smell the mouse). Removing a hungry snake from your hand can be tricky and not much fun for the snake!

@Lotabob, my older corns all strike and when I hold the mouse by the tail some overshoot it by miles if they miss! One threw himself out the tub on sunday in an effort to get to the mouse lol
Spreebok Posted - 17/05/2011 : 10:35:04
I tong feed, both are strike and tight constrict feeders, and I dont fancy a nip lol :P
Only1Nitro Posted - 17/05/2011 : 00:52:14
my biggest is a striker and at 45inches shes not a small snake but i trust her shes not bitten yet im not saying she will never bite me just she hasnt before and if she does it will be an accident
lotabob Posted - 17/05/2011 : 00:30:01
By hand is likely to be just fine 99.99% of the time but if you have a strike feeder when it misses and gets your hand and flys into a full constrict of your hand it might be a bit sore. I would say as common practice (mainly as a getting into the habit for bigger/faster snakes) tongs should be used. I'm thinking of buying a riot shield with a hole in for my tongs for feeding my Boa, oh boy does she hit hard lol. To be honest though if your holding by the tail and dangling them down its very unlikely a cornsnake will ever overshoot that far.
Only1Nitro Posted - 17/05/2011 : 00:18:13
i dunno if im about to get attacked by u lot lol but i dont use tongs for feeding mine always fed my hand
ptmbradley Posted - 16/05/2011 : 21:26:13
6 notebooks for £1 at Poundland! lol. I record the same as Spreebok, although I very often can't find any evidence of number 2's! lol Normally have to go through the aspen hunting for it but even then I still won't find any! Maybe as their meals get bigger it will be easier to find...

Monitoring the cool end isn't really important for corns as they do fine at room temp, but it's still good practice so well done for the 2nd therm.
Spreebok Posted - 16/05/2011 : 21:00:23
Oh yes, little books are great!
I tend to list the following in mine:
Date
Weight
Length
Last Feed
Prey Item
Last Poop
Last Shed

Seems excessive, but only takes me a minute to note it all down :P
DJRenegade Posted - 16/05/2011 : 20:57:51
Okies Thanx

Yea i forgot tongs, they are on my list too lol

Ill take the bowl down to a small - only a few quid to upgrade i s'pose, and ill add a lil book and hand gel :)
lotabob Posted - 16/05/2011 : 20:45:00
Good list, don't forget antibacterial hand gel and yeah some good round or soft nosed tongs for feeding. One thing I couldn't be without is my little records books. Only a quid from Tesco and great for ewriting down anything important (any notebook will do).
kopite_di Posted - 16/05/2011 : 20:39:08
yeh sounds good thats all i got, you might want to get tongs for feeding :)
Spreebok Posted - 16/05/2011 : 20:36:36
I'd only change the water dish for the smaller version of the one with steps if your getting a hatchie! :)

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000