The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 rubs and heating

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Laws Posted - 16/05/2011 : 17:26:48
I've posted this one the royal python forum too , but wanted to put it here aswel . My royal isn't feeding atm , so I picked up a smaller rub and have alredy got a spare heatmat , my question is can I use a habistat dimming stat to control the mat ? I haven't got the spare cash to buy a mat stat yet , but I'm desperate for my royal to eat . I've been adviced they need a minimum of 40watts to work and I'm sure the mat is much lower :( :( any advice ?
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
gmac Posted - 16/05/2011 : 23:32:19
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

Might sound like a daft thing to say, but is it possible to plug say a desk lamp with a 60w bulb into the stat as well as the mat??
It'd bring it over the 40w minimum and the probe could be on the mat.

Or would that not work?? I know dimmers don't usually work with mats, but always assumed it was due to the 40w min level required.
Obviously a downside is that you'd have a lamp somewhere that would always have to be on.
Would be a great visual aid to see that mat is working as well.

Sorry, general question that I'd like to know the answer to as well, and is the perfect place/time to ask without creating another thread or threadjacking.

Is a good idea would make sure the bulb you use is over the required wattage for the stat all should be good.

The only thing I will suggest is that you select a bulb colour that you dont mind having on 24 hours a day, like blue or whatever. also even have a long cord for the light so you can have it in a hallway just so it doesnt bother you with the light being on, even though it would be dimmed.

then setup your temps from the mat and hopefully all sould be good.
lotabob Posted - 16/05/2011 : 23:04:09
I always wondered about maybe runing a bulb as well to bump up the wattage usage. An experiment is in order. Just get one of those three in 1 adaptors, I think B&Q do a fused one for £1.
Laws Posted - 16/05/2011 : 22:51:54
how would u do that those in terms of pluggin stuff in lol? that sounds really lame lol
a33272 Posted - 16/05/2011 : 21:39:58
very good idea there kehhlyr cant see why it wouldnt work
Kehhlyr Posted - 16/05/2011 : 21:28:00
Might sound like a daft thing to say, but is it possible to plug say a desk lamp with a 60w bulb into the stat as well as the mat??
It'd bring it over the 40w minimum and the probe could be on the mat.

Or would that not work?? I know dimmers don't usually work with mats, but always assumed it was due to the 40w min level required.
Obviously a downside is that you'd have a lamp somewhere that would always have to be on.
Would be a great visual aid to see that mat is working as well.

Sorry, general question that I'd like to know the answer to as well, and is the perfect place/time to ask without creating another thread or threadjacking.
gmac Posted - 16/05/2011 : 17:32:46
If the mats wattage is lower than that required by the stat for the stat to work, then no the dimmer is unsuitable. Check on habistats website to make sure that the info you have been given is correct as I know some dimmers dont require a specific wattage I just dont know what one

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000