The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 feeding

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
MightyMouse Posted - 16/05/2011 : 09:06:20
Ive given a few feeds to my new snake now its 4.5 - 5 foot long. been feeding it fully grown mice. once they are swallowed say a foot down there isnt really a visable lump anymore. does this mean i need something bigger to feed with? or should i keep using them with an added pinkie? Or just carry on as we are?
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
SexyBear77 Posted - 16/05/2011 : 12:06:55
Honestly, I wouldn't want him getting any bigger than he is. I'd stick to what you are currently doing, maybe even space feeds out even further.
MightyMouse Posted - 16/05/2011 : 11:56:57
Ive been doing a large one every fortnight. snake feels strong enough, its quite awake mostly, odd few days when it retreats an doesnt come out to play but mostly its lively.
As for white bit between scales mine has white bits but it also has a ridge running down its back an i dont know if this means its a skinny snake or not. That ridge is there most of the time. is it spine or muscle?
Invalid User Posted - 16/05/2011 : 10:34:55
I feed my adult jungle who's around 4.5 ft, one large mouse every fortnight :D
SexyBear77 Posted - 16/05/2011 : 10:28:31
Learning to tell whether or not a snake is fat is a matter of practice and knowing what a snake is actually supposed to look like. Far too many people have fat snakes because, for some reason, bigger is apparently better when it comes to snakes.

The easiest ways of telling are fatty lumps either side of the vent, skin showing between the scale when the snake is straight, an overall sausage-roundness to the body of the snake, and a lack of strength and fitness when out and about.
MightyMouse Posted - 16/05/2011 : 10:05:40
hmmmm this brings up the how do you know if your snake is fat problem lol i dont think its fat nor underweight but its my first snake an ive only had it for 2 months so what do i know lol ill prob stick with the same for now then an try an get hold of some digital scales an start a weighing program. Thanks for the replys :)
FiestaSTLou Posted - 16/05/2011 : 09:52:21
sexybear is right, last thing u want is a fat snakey hehe :)different snake but same kinda concept, we had this with our royal, he was on large mice once a week but it got to the stage where it didnt show any lump, so we have now moved him onto weaner rats every 2 weeks, as they are also more fatty than mice and last thing we want is a snakey with tyres :D hehe
SexyBear77 Posted - 16/05/2011 : 09:44:50
Right, this is where feeding gets confusing!

The general rule of thumb is that you should go up a food size when the current size no longer leaves a bump.

However, when a snake is fully grown, continuing to increase food sizes may well result in the snake getting fat. For that reason its a good idea to keep adult corns on either a food size that seems to small, or give them bigger but leave longer between feeds. For example, my big male could either have a medium mouse once a week, or a XL mouse/small weaner rat once every fortnight or 3 weeks.

If your snake appears to be the correct body tone then continue feeding whatever you are feeding, but just keep an eye on its weight and see how it goes.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000