The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Who looks after your snake

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
tracym Posted - 11/05/2011 : 20:22:07
Well I have eventually got my own way and am looking forward to getting my first corn snake

Hubby's only condition before I get one is that I need to find someone who will look after the snake if we go away and I am really struggling

My parents won't do it nor my sisters, I have asked my closest friends and they aren't interested (not sure they would even visit if I have a snake)

what do you all do with your snakes when you go away?
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
MightyMouse Posted - 18/05/2011 : 14:19:03
We love to go away and aften do but luckly we like to only do 3 or 4 days away at a time so works out well for us. Best of both :D
rubberbiscuit Posted - 18/05/2011 : 12:51:19
I couldnt go away, it would be too expensive sorting out care for the cats, dogs, fish and all the rodents NM the snake!!
Luckily Im not a big fan of hollibobs....prefer to mooch around at home with the mini zoo!
Red123 Posted - 18/05/2011 : 12:49:08
Same as Louise, we don't go away either:(
FiestaSTLou Posted - 18/05/2011 : 11:17:11
oo didnt realise there where so many ppl nr me to haha im nr longwick in kimble so i know who to ring if go away ;) jokes haha

if we are jsut away for the weekend ours are fine just leave them to it lol

when we where away in feb in NY my mum looked after the snakes, well all she needed to do was change the water every few days, which she has not got a problem with, except with the spider royal, after she bit me when i was changing her water last yr she wont do it haha but he dish is deep and cant tip it over, so she was fine lol
Isoldael Posted - 18/05/2011 : 11:10:24
I have a neighbor who used to be terrified of snakes... until he met Saphira. Now he regularly asks me if I'll be going away any time soon, cause he's looking forward to taking care of the snakes again ;)
tracym Posted - 16/05/2011 : 08:46:04
Cheers Lucy, nice to have lots of options available. I thought I had no family who would look after him but my aunty has just said she would look after him too.
I collected my first corn snake (well first snake ever!) on Saturday and he is gorgeous. He is six months old and is a common corn with lovely markings, we have named him 'Keo'
I will try and put up some pictures when I can.
Lucy1012 Posted - 15/05/2011 : 21:53:09
I am near Thame Tracy, I have a corn yearling and a Royal Hatchling, hoping to add to the collection when some babies arrive... :-) I am practically on the A40, so if you need a snake hotel, i would be more than happy to help...
Morpheus Posted - 13/05/2011 : 19:37:16
We left ours (about 6-months old now) for a couple of nights, I replaced his normal bowl with a small pot dog bowl of water, he couldn't tip it over.

Not sure about a week though, maybe a bit too long?
eeji Posted - 12/05/2011 : 22:11:45
my snakes see to themselves, they're fine on their own while we're away.
tracym Posted - 12/05/2011 : 16:25:40
Hi Lucy, I am in Kidlington, where are you? What snakes do you have? This is going to be my first snake ever! I am so excited just got to think of a name now, husband has suggest Ian!
Lucy1012 Posted - 12/05/2011 : 12:55:56
quote:
Originally posted by tracym

Thanks for all the replies, that should shut hubby up!!!!

a33272 thanks for the offer again. I am going to Exotics pets (headington) on Saturday as they have a few different coloured corns in(morphs?)

Wish me luck!

Where do you live Tracey, I am in South Oxfordshire???? I could always help. :-)
SexyBear77 Posted - 12/05/2011 : 12:53:05
My parents look after mine, I would never leave my snakes in a situation where they won't all be checked on once a day.

Imagine coming back from your hols to find your stat probe has moved and your snake has cooked itself....
tracym Posted - 12/05/2011 : 12:21:55
Well I have put a deposit down on my little snakey and am going back tomorrow with the family just to make sure!!!
And guess what..........they are in the process up setting up the back room in the pet shop for boarding snakes....Sorted!!
kdlang Posted - 12/05/2011 : 10:09:41
While you are there you could ask them if they board snakes during holidays and how much it is.

My nephew usually looks after mine for me. Last time he came he just came the once during my 5 day holiday just to change the water n check temps. I don't feed mine before I go away, that way I can be pretty certain he wont have to deal with any possible regurges. Plus most of them will have pooped so he wont have to worry about the smell (he is a wuss with yukky wiffs).
tracym Posted - 12/05/2011 : 08:00:03
Thanks for all the replies, that should shut hubby up!!!!

a33272 thanks for the offer again. I am going to Exotics pets (headington) on Saturday as they have a few different coloured corns in(morphs?)

Wish me luck!
a33272 Posted - 11/05/2011 : 23:05:11
i have friends that do mine, but i have a little hand pump so they dont have to open the glass up more than 1 cm, they suck old water out pump new water in an have a look to see there still alive haha. as i said if u struggle when your near to go away just message me
Sta~ple Posted - 11/05/2011 : 22:43:52
quote:
Originally posted by tracym

We are only going away for 1 week this year in the summer. I thought you had to change their water daily? Next year though it will be for 2 weeks.

Louise32 I have to have my holidays!!!!

I don't change mine daily, I do it every 2 days as then they can decide on chlorine water or de chlorined :p and snakes drink a lot worse in the wild so me not changing their water for a week is no issue. I have someone to check if they have pooped or put aspen in it and for them to change it if they do that. Otherwise there's no point :)
Lucy1012 Posted - 11/05/2011 : 22:11:47
I am going away for 4 days tomorrow, I will ensure they are fed just before i go and that they have enough water, i add an extra bowl just in case they 'spoil' theirs. Luckily I have a friend with a very enthusiastic teenage son, who is willing to have them if I go away longer.. Feeding is not the issue really, but keeping an eye on temps and water is besides with 3 kids and a multitude of other pets we never go longer than a week..
lotabob Posted - 11/05/2011 : 21:08:02
I wouldn't reccommend leaving them for more than a few days. Your local reptile shop will more than likely do a boarding service.
ozziesmum Posted - 11/05/2011 : 21:06:57
I don't go away either it was my decision to have pets and as I work full time my holiday is spending more time with them but thats just what I choose to do.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000