The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 feeding day on friday!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
MsThomson Posted - 11/05/2011 : 09:53:53
Im going to feed mrs west on friday, shes on fluffs and i have a lovely macabre area in the freezer full of mousey corpses for her. was just wondering how long i should leave the mouse out for defrosting? or should i just give it half an hour in a tub of hot water? what do you lot out there do and do you have any tips for a first feeding?

Thanks
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Spindle Posted - 11/05/2011 : 21:35:29
I just fed mine for the 1st time today. I just left the mouse out when i left for work this morning and by the time I came back it was fine. She rattled her tail for the 1st time today when I took her out though which freaked me out a little bit. She also done it when I walked close to her whilst she waa feeding, I hope my new snake doesnt hate me (sniff)
MsThomson Posted - 11/05/2011 : 20:57:42
thanks everyone for replying! Im sooooo excited about feeding her! Im going to wait till the kids are home from school coz they are dying to watch the bloody fun n games :D

wee sickos ;P
Sta~ple Posted - 11/05/2011 : 16:17:58
Lmao mrs West XD

I normally defrost naturally as if I use a plaggy bag in water they still seem to get soggy. Thawing depends on size and tome of year, I normally leave a pinky a good hour to defrost in the open, any more than 5 hours it starts to go really, really ew. At the moment large only take about 4/5 hours but it seems to take so much longer in winter! Although I do defrost the snakes food inside a butter tub ontop of the heatmat so it's kinda warm when snakey has it or I blast with a hair dryer.
jordy845 Posted - 11/05/2011 : 16:15:04
ahh awesome, thankyou :)
Spreebok Posted - 11/05/2011 : 15:53:29
I eave them for around 45 mins to an hour in warm water, fish them out and dry them in kitchen roll (whilst squidging a bit to make sure it's all defrosted), then I pour out some boiling water, dunk the heads in for a couple seconds, and by the time I get to the snake the head has cooled down past being too hot, but still holds a good heat signature!
jordy845 Posted - 11/05/2011 : 14:52:10
how long to fluffs usually take to defrost at room temp?
jimspook Posted - 11/05/2011 : 13:04:39
Definitely heating will help for snakes that refuse on the regs, also piercing the nose can help if its about inducing more scent from the pinky. This thread is making me hungry lol
Invalid User Posted - 11/05/2011 : 12:49:43
quote:
Originally posted by jimspook

Leave them out at room temp. Give it a little poke to feel whether its defrosted or not. I also put them in a cup of normal COLD tap water for ten minutes which works brilliantly. Give them a little dry on some kitchen towel. Don't worry about warming them, never had to and my little lady still devours. They're astute animals don't think they need there food to have simulated warmth tbh. Could be wrong though, could also be a good discussion point to!

Mine can and will take them at room temp but I think warming them makes them smell more so makes them more apealing to the snake. When I use frozen mice I do warm them all but by time I am down to the last few they are usually cold by then and the snakes still take them.

Warming up the mouse is often a tip given to people whos snakes are refusing feeds.
jimspook Posted - 11/05/2011 : 11:50:13
Leave them out at room temp. Give it a little poke to feel whether its defrosted or not. I also put them in a cup of normal COLD tap water for ten minutes which works brilliantly. Give them a little dry on some kitchen towel. Don't worry about warming them, never had to and my little lady still devours. They're astute animals don't think they need there food to have simulated warmth tbh. Could be wrong though, could also be a good discussion point to!
Invalid User Posted - 11/05/2011 : 10:07:03
A fluff should deforst at room temp pretty fast or you can use the warm water method.

I used to just dump all mine in a bowl of warm water :D
Ailsa Posted - 11/05/2011 : 10:01:21
I leave my pinkies out over night in a wee plastic box and then warm them over the kettle while its boiling and hatchling wolfs them down no problem, except this morning she shook one and went daft with it trying to kill it lol
Mamma Posted - 11/05/2011 : 09:59:38
be careful with the hot water! if snakey constricts, the mouse will go POP and the smell is awful! hahahahaha! I do the hot water method for my feeding routines. I just have to hold my breath when Mim (esp Mim) pop's the mouse!

1st feed went well with me for all my snakies bar Rocco... but thats cos royals are reknowned fussy eaters. I just dangle mousey infront of them (by tail) till they get the smell...then make them follow it. Then mine usually strike Good luck with the 1st feed xx

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000