The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Question Regarding Viv

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
PureLoneWolf Posted - 10/05/2011 : 00:08:36
Hi there

So, after spending most of the day on here and viewing the pics of everyones Viv...I have realised a couple of things.

I need to remove the bulbs that I have and put in a heat mat (with a thermostat). I also need some foliage and more places for Hongy to wander around and hide. The Viv I got from the previous owner is pretty spartan compared to what I am seeing on here, it is 1m x 0.4m x 0.5m

I have a couple of questions though.

1) Does the heat mat go under the substrate in the Viv? Or should it be fixed underneath the viv (under the glass)?

2) The Viv that the previous owner supplied is glass, with no holes near the bottom that I can feed the heat mat cables through...assuming the heatmat is in the Viv, is it acceptable to fix the cable into the corner of the Viv and out through the top? (not with tape )

3) How big should the heat mat be?

4) Hongy is currently living on Orchid Bark substrate, which might not be good for him (humidity issues), so Aspen shavings should be next?

5) What are the best type of plastic plants...big leaves, small leaves etc?

6) Finally, I see lots of questions regarding heating the Viv...I am living in Frankfurt at the moment and the summers can get crazy hot (for Europe)...how do you make sure that the cool end of the Viv is actually cool?

Sorry if these all seem daft questions, but I want to start this adventure on the right foot

Also, I have to say that he is very happy and active and the previous owner cared for, and loved, him very much. That said, would making these changes be beneficial to him, or confusing as he has spent so long with the set-up that he currently has?

Many thanks for all your help

Dave
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
PureLoneWolf Posted - 13/05/2011 : 13:22:47
Thanks for the info. We bought some decorations for the Viv and will be adding them tomorrow, along with replacing the Orchid Bark with Aspen and, of course, cleaning/sterilising everything.

I have added a picture of the Viv, which is setup how we got it from the previous owner...Hongy has been living in there since he was a few months old and doesn't go near the bulbs etc. As I have been reading a lot on here, we will be getting a heat mat with thermostat as soon as we can afford it..which will go under the glass.

Once the heatmat is in place, I am looking at removing all of the lighting inside and possibly adding a couple of LED lights at the top instead. I think the branch is too big aswell, so will probably replace it with something smaller and possibly a climbing vine....Oh, and we are looking at a 3D background.

Does this sound reasonable? Would anyone have any suggestions on how to convert this into a more ideal place for Hongy to live? I may as well get it right

Thanks

jimspook Posted - 11/05/2011 : 11:46:04
quote:
Originally posted by PureLoneWolf

Hi there

1) Does the heat mat go under the substrate in the Viv? Or should it be fixed underneath the viv (under the glass)? I would be incline to put it under the glass, making sure the mat is in contact with it though.

Hongy is currently living on Orchid Bark substrate, which might not be good for him (humidity issues), so Aspen shavings should be next? I use orchid bark that I have dried out first. Been on it for about three months now with no issues.

What are the best type of plastic plants...big leaves, small leaves etc? Matter of what you think will look good in said viv

Finally, I see lots of questions regarding heating the Viv...I am living in Frankfurt at the moment and the summers can get crazy hot (for Europe)...how do you make sure that the cool end of the Viv is actually cool? Keep it out of direct sunlight for the off, can only be as cool as room temp, hit the shade and you'll be fine

Sorry if these all seem daft questions, but I want to start this adventure on the right foot

Also, I have to say that he is very happy and active and the previous owner cared for, and loved, him very much. That said, would making these changes be beneficial to him, or confusing as he has spent so long with the set-up that he currently has?

Many thanks for all your help

Dave

Mamma Posted - 11/05/2011 : 10:51:25
no problem. Good luck xx
PureLoneWolf Posted - 11/05/2011 : 10:36:37
Thanks for the help :)I am heading to the pet shop later, but wanted to be forewarned, so I can avoid being sold a load of unnecessary stuff :)

Invalid User Posted - 10/05/2011 : 09:54:33
quote:
Originally posted by PureLoneWolf

1) Does the heat mat go under the substrate in the Viv? Or should it be fixed underneath the viv (under the glass)?
I Think it's best to go under the glass but not 100% sure

2) The Viv that the previous owner supplied is glass, with no holes near the bottom that I can feed the heat mat cables through...assuming the heatmat is in the Viv, is it acceptable to fix the cable into the corner of the Viv and out through the top? (not with tape )
As above, I think the mat goes underneath but someone else will correct me if I'm wrong

3) How big should the heat mat be?
Ideally it should cover 1/2-1/3 of the base of the viv

4) Hongy is currently living on Orchid Bark substrate, which might not be good for him (humidity issues), so Aspen shavings should be next?
I have never used orchid bark, I have used aspen which worked well and I also use kitchen roll

5) What are the best type of plastic plants...big leaves, small leaves etc?
Any are great for the snake to hide under or crawl through, or if your corns is anything like mine he will just poo all over them!

6) Finally, I see lots of questions regarding heating the Viv...I am living in Frankfurt at the moment and the summers can get crazy hot (for Europe)...how do you make sure that the cool end of the Viv is actually cool?
I don't think there is much you can do ther than make sure there is always a water bowl big enough for them to soak in if they get to hot. Someone else may have a better answer

Mamma Posted - 10/05/2011 : 08:21:54
Hi there. Aspen will be fine some people use kitchen roll or newspaper too, I like Aspen though. It doesnt matter if you have big leaves or small in your viv.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000