The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 heat help please

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
kopite_di Posted - 07/05/2011 : 13:27:15
getting a 2ft viv this week from northampton reptiles, they say to have a light for heat during the day and heat mat for night, do i keep the mat on with the light or turn it off during the day ( would seem a lot of messing around and temp fluctuations) also is pulse prop better stat for vivs ??
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
kopite_di Posted - 08/05/2011 : 10:08:26
Thanks the did tell me to use the guard and said they had had concerns over 1 as a baby corn managed to get through the holes so he issorting out an alternative , I'm just going to email them and ask if they could just send the viv and refund the rest :) thanks for your help :)
lotabob Posted - 07/05/2011 : 22:05:00
quote:
Originally posted by kopite_di

I contacted the store to ask why i would need lights etc and this is what they said....
Hi Diane

Thank you for your enquiry.

Firstly we advise a using a spot bulb so it gives them a basking are but also a day and night difference.You don't need to use a bulb on a thermostat as this will cause stress to the animal. If you use a thermostat then the bulb will be turning on and off etc and stressing the animal out. If the bulb gets too hot then just change the wattage bulb. So the heat mat is on the thermostat set at 80oF. When the bulb comes on during the day the temperatures need to be 85 overall.

Hope this helps

Incredible!!! A bulb on a correctly chosen stat (dimmer stat) does not flash or cause stress for a starter. A day/night difference can be used but has no benefits over a constant temperature and in fact a constant temperature is better for digestion. GP has a good point, any bulb needs guarding, even if its not in use guard it or remove it, its still glass and can still break when squeezed by a snake holding on.

I would write that shop off your list of places to use, they are clearly useless. I had a similar problem, spoke to them and they now offer a safe starter kit with stat etc but leave the choice to the purchaser now.
gingerpony Posted - 07/05/2011 : 21:40:02
bl**dy numpties..............

bet they said it didn't need guarding either...........
kopite_di Posted - 07/05/2011 : 20:49:21
I contacted the store to ask why i would need lights etc and this is what they said....
Hi Diane

Thank you for your enquiry.

Firstly we advise a using a spot bulb so it gives them a basking are but also a day and night difference.You don't need to use a bulb on a thermostat as this will cause stress to the animal. If you use a thermostat then the bulb will be turning on and off etc and stressing the animal out. If the bulb gets too hot then just change the wattage bulb. So the heat mat is on the thermostat set at 80oF. When the bulb comes on during the day the temperatures need to be 85 overall.

Hope this helps

kopite_di Posted - 07/05/2011 : 19:22:53
Ok, so just heat mat it is then, now what size for 2ft viv, at the mo I have 6x 11 7 watt in her faun ?
Kehhlyr Posted - 07/05/2011 : 16:00:23
I've had issues with Northampton reps in the past, I pulled them up on their recommendation to have a (quoted) "Large viv, say about 4 foot, with a nice colony of 8 or 9 hatchlings in it"
I'm sorry to say, but as soon as I heard that it meant I had no respect or belief in any of their abilities.
The only reason I spoke to them in the first place was because I wanted to question them on their reasoning for the exact same heating layout as the OP said.
gingerpony Posted - 07/05/2011 : 15:23:14
pulse and dimmer stats are more accurate by design
Invalid User Posted - 07/05/2011 : 15:13:49
quote:
Originally posted by Ailsa

GP I have an on/off stat which maintains heat perfectly

Mat stats do maintain temps perfectly well, it's all I use but pulse stats will always do a much better job with much less fluctuation
kopite_di Posted - 07/05/2011 : 15:13:29
thanks guys, anyone wanna buy a light etc lol ;)
Ailsa Posted - 07/05/2011 : 14:54:32
GP I have an on/off stat which maintains heat perfectly
gingerpony Posted - 07/05/2011 : 14:53:23
and i thought N'pton Reps had a better reputation than that......

ditch the light and just use the mat, a pulse prop stat will maintain temps better than an on/off but can't be used for light-emitting heat sources as they create a disco effect lol
lotabob Posted - 07/05/2011 : 14:47:11
Yep its what they do. Thats why I have a light. I still use it for a few hours a day but it really isn't needed. The only reason I haven't ripped it out yet is because I'm hoping to convert the viv for a lizard once the snake moves out.
kopite_di Posted - 07/05/2011 : 14:30:44
oh right so they sold me lights unecessarily :/
kdlang Posted - 07/05/2011 : 13:41:36
I just use a heatmat in my 2ft vivs. I also use a normal matstat although pulse stats are more consistant. For a light i use push led lights just when i need to spot check otherwise they get indirect natural sunlight
lotabob Posted - 07/05/2011 : 13:41:29
The simple requirements are a heat mat only with mat-stat (or equivalent). I do have a bulb that runs through the day, its not required but I like it BUT you would need that on a stat too which just ends up more expensive. There are benefits of a day/night temp change but the ambient/cold end temp drops overnight anyway so thats job done.

For a heat mat I'd say a pulse stat is an unnecessary expense, a mat-stat does the job and is cheaper though if your thinking to upgrade to ceramic heaters in the future then a pulse stat could be a better long term choice.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000