The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 I think my snake is bored?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Paul Hume Posted - 24/04/2011 : 19:23:14
Hi All,

It has been a long while since I was last on here, life has just been a bit mental lately.

Earlier this year I rescued a 14 year old Corn from a friend of my brothers and all was going well. He is really friendly, fed well and all was looking good.

He then went off his food about 4 weeks ago (fed every wednesday on large mice to that point) he has also been hell bent on getting out of his tank and trying to fit between the gaps in the glass to the point he now has a little sore on his nose.

All temps etc are fine and I have now given his home a re-vamp (pic below).

So my questions are does this sound like he is just plain bored? and secondly is there anything else I can do to his home to keep him entertained.

I thank you in advance for any help and sugestions.

Sorry about the massive picture,

13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Paul Hume Posted - 26/04/2011 : 08:46:55
Hi all,

Firstly thank you for all your advice, it is early days yet but I think the rebuild may have fixed it. He hasn't tried getting out as far as I'm aware and he loves his shelf that I put in and spends loads of time sitting there and watching the world go past.

I will keep you all posted, Feeding day is Wednesday so fingers crossed.
Spreebok Posted - 25/04/2011 : 00:23:12
Breeding season debate aside, I do reckon all animals enjoy a bit of mental stimulation, and shuffling the tank around occasionally is a good thing in my eyes!
For example, Betta fish are very inquisitive, and loves to explore, so I always rearrange the items in my Bettas tank, and he's off like a rocket, exploring everything!
lotabob Posted - 24/04/2011 : 20:47:55
quote:
Originally posted by gmac

Then I shall bow out of this thread and leave it to owners with experience of snakes going off food due to it being the breeding season.

I never said anything about experience, I just dont agree its shortsighted to blame a male snake going off food and spinning round like a loon on the breeding season. It is the most likely thing though I never said its the only thing though I didn't specifically go through the list. Of all the people on here I value your opinion and knowledge very highly as I've said before.
gmac Posted - 24/04/2011 : 20:36:10
quote:
Originally posted by lotabob

If its looks like a duck and quacks like a duck its almost certainly going to be a duck.

Then I shall bow out of this thread and leave it to owners with experience of snakes going off food due to it being the breeding season.

edit: i have
reptiledanny Posted - 24/04/2011 : 20:34:51
quote:

If its looks like a duck and quacks like a duck its almost certainly going to be a duck.

OK Breeding season aside. There are many reasons a snake goes off food but for a healthy snake to go off food for a few weeks is nothing to worry about. Keep an eye on weight during thae fasting period and wrap some cardboard around the edge of the glasss to prevent further injury to his nose.

it may be a parrot in disguise mimicking a duck
lotabob Posted - 24/04/2011 : 20:34:44
Oh poo I'm on the wrong forum PMSL!
Invalid User Posted - 24/04/2011 : 20:34:00
quote:

OK Breeding season aside. There are many reasons a snake goes off food but for a healthy snake to go off food for a few weeks is nothing to worry about. Keep an eye on weight during thae fasting period and wrap some cardboard around the edge of the glasss to prevent further injury to his nose.

But it's not a duck, it's a snake!
lotabob Posted - 24/04/2011 : 20:27:49

gmac Posted - 24/04/2011 : 20:11:38
quote:

Welcome to the breeding season, a LOT of males inparticular are off food and spinning round like madmen.

Nice looking snake you got there.

seems a lot of posts regarding males going off feeding is just down to breeding season, yes it is one possibility but to suggest that this is the only reason is shortsighted.

Paul, have a look at this thread and give us the information we may be able to help better.

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13662

edit: thanks Paul, image resized
Paul Hume Posted - 24/04/2011 : 20:06:34
Hi Gmac, I have tried to edit the post but it just comes up with an error, if you can edit here is the URL to the smaller version http://www.imdesigns.co.uk/rusty.JPG

If it is just a breeding season thing, how long till this wears off? I don't want him hurting himself further on the glass?
lotabob Posted - 24/04/2011 : 20:00:15
Welcome to the breeding season, a LOT of males inparticular are off food and spinning round like madmen.

Nice looking snake you got there.
gmac Posted - 24/04/2011 : 19:29:15
all sounds normal corn behaviour, 4 weeks is nothing to go without food.

edit: can you resize this photo to 800 x 600 the current size is way to big
jase81 Posted - 24/04/2011 : 19:25:47
i think its cause he might want a mate dude

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000