The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Tic_Tac Update

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Tic_Tac Posted - 23/04/2011 : 11:59:08

I just wanted to say thank you for everyone’s advice with my baby Tic Tac,

As I said I would in a previous post. I went out shopping for a small glass viv to replace my faun (as my cat knocked it over) but decided against it as was very pricy for something I’m just going to have to replace. Tic Tac will stay in my bedroom which is a cat free area!!!

I bought the mat stat and a digital thermometer and using the instructions given in the fantastic 101 guide to setting up a faun I feel much better knowing my snake has everything it needs to be happy and healthy. Saying that …. with all the warm weather we are having I’m finding it hard to keep the temp at 29, when I left work yesterday it was a 29 and had been since Wednesday but yesterday when I got home the temp read 32!! Has anyone else been having problems??

I put his coconut hide on the warm side and bought a bushy green fake plant to use as a hide on the cool side along with his water.

I was a bit concerned he might have preferred his log that I use to use as his second hide but he loves the plant and is often seen curled up within it and was so happy when I got home from work yesterday and he was curled up on top of the plant, At first I thought it was because he was far too hot but I woke up this morning and he was in his coconut he came out to see what I was up to then climbed on top of his plants again and continued to watch me get ready, temp was just under 29 when I left so fingers crossed it’s the same when I get home.

He’s settled down when I handle him now, I think I was trying to hold onto him to much and directing him where to go, now that I let him do his own thing (within reason and distance) he’s a lot more chilled out.

Any advice to anything mentioned above as always is appreciated.

I’ve added some pictures of him exploring his new plant, they are not very good as he never stays still!

9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Tic_Tac Posted - 24/04/2011 : 11:49:52
Thanks for the advice everyone.

I have kept the cutain pulled shut and I am going to stick the sensor to the heatmat (part of it sticks out under the faun)

lotabob Posted - 23/04/2011 : 16:00:39
quote:
Originally posted by kdlang

the placement of the stat probe sounds ok to me. I can't fit mine under the faun either but stick it to the mat as close to the faun as I can get.

Be careful that your faun isnt in direct sunlight for any part of the day. I have noticed the temps in one of mine go up 2 or 3 degrees in an evening when the sun moves around and i forget to pull the curtain over.

If the probe is inside then its not fine, it could be better. Like yours is, the probe is better on the mat either under or next to the faun rather than inside.

Good point bout the sunlight though, I have to be careful with this, my room has windows facing east & west so have to use the south wall for my snakes and fish as its the only wall that doesn't get direct sun.
kdlang Posted - 23/04/2011 : 13:59:43
the placement of the stat probe sounds ok to me. I can't fit mine under the faun either but stick it to the mat as close to the faun as I can get.

Be careful that your faun isnt in direct sunlight for any part of the day. I have noticed the temps in one of mine go up 2 or 3 degrees in an evening when the sun moves around and i forget to pull the curtain over.
lotabob Posted - 23/04/2011 : 13:57:21
I would have the stat sensor stuck directly to the mat for greater control. Anywhere on the mat is fine but as you say it wont sit flat unless you raise up the legs or stick it to an edge. The thermometer goes inside though.

You don't need to monitor the cold end, its not essential but I'd reccommend doing it as its good practice for when you get the snake bug and start buying snakes that have stricter temp requirements.
Tic_Tac Posted - 23/04/2011 : 13:52:13
Sorry another question. Why do I need to measure the temp on the cool end, if it were too hot what could you do to cool it down?

Thanks
Catherine
Tic_Tac Posted - 23/04/2011 : 13:50:01
I keep my heatmat o/s under the faun but the sensor is on the inside, is this wrong?

Should I have the sensor for the ththermostat stuck to the heatmat on the outside? I would have to stick it to a bit of the mat that sticks out as if I put it under it the faun dosent sit flat.
lotabob Posted - 23/04/2011 : 13:13:24
I only notice on hot days a slight rise in the cold end temperature. I would think its a probe positioning issue rather than a problem with the weather. Your thermostat probe should be touching the heat mat itself, I fix the probe down with a blob of bluetac ensuring that the probe is in direct contact with the mat. Your thermometer probe needs to be on the bottom of your faun at the closest point to the heat mat (this will be under the substaret fixed to the bottom ofg the faun). Thats where it is hottest so use that area's temp readings to set the stat. You can then use a second thermometer in the other end on the substarate to monitor ambient/cold end temperature.

Oh and Tic tac is lovely (I almost forgot that bit).
Ailsa Posted - 23/04/2011 : 12:14:24
I'm not having any probs with my thermostat the warm temp hovers between 28/9 pretty much 24/7. My heat mat stat sits on top of the heat mat and faun sits on top of heat mat, my digi thermometer prob is under the substrate at warm end with hide sitting op top so it is not moved. Tic Tac looks a happy wee snakie, I bought dakota some fake leafy vines the other day and she loves curling up on top of them and climbing, yesterday i thought she escaped but she was just sitting op top of her new plants lol
Mamma Posted - 23/04/2011 : 12:09:52
yeah Im having probs with my thermostats just now too.... they are reading 32 when its warm... I keep having to turn them down.. then up again when it gets cold. Grrrr

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000