The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 square Exo Terra terrarium

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Ailsa Posted - 21/04/2011 : 10:26:51
Just read a post where someone set their snakie up in this and looks really cool the way he has done it. My new snake dakota is in a beginners faun which is just under 17 inches in length, just wondering if when dakota needs a new home can one of these be used as they look really cool.
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
kopite_di Posted - 04/05/2011 : 12:32:00
what is the ideal home for a corn and what size?? I have mine in a large faunarium at the moment she is only 4 months old so i know a big viv would be too big,
Mamma Posted - 04/05/2011 : 11:30:19
this may help it settle in. My corn is 10 months old and I hardly see him He likes to hide xx
Rake Posted - 04/05/2011 : 11:21:21
i have recently bought my first baby corn its in a faunarium but havent seen it appear since yeterday morning could it be that i need to cover the sides ?
Invalid User Posted - 04/05/2011 : 07:26:24
quote:
Originally posted by Spreebok

Sorry to bump a slightly old topic, but people mention the middle of the lid being a weakness. I just moved Lister into one of these, and pushed and prodded and such, and cant find this. The lid locks with 4 swivelling things, and I cant really push the lid up or down, so can someone pinpoint the weakness for me so I can avoid any great escapes lol!

The swivel clips are the newer version. The older ones are just push in clips that can be pushed out easily
Invalid User Posted - 04/05/2011 : 07:24:10
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Katie.Dublin

I personally dont see a weakness! I use them and i cant fault them. They're as secure as they could possibly be with the corner clips up top!

I thought as much, I had a proper go at the lid, so I cant see Lister moving it if I couldn't, with my opposable thumbs and whatnot lol!
Maybe there is an older and newer model, the newer with the lid issue sorted?

Only thing I would change is the way the mesh up top is pinned into the corners, I'd worry about scraped noses, but I'll most likely glob some of ym aquarium silicone on those sharp nooks!

I had the 3ft version and trust me, I could push the middle edge up with just one finger leaving a big enough gap for a big snake to push through. The problem was it seems the 3ft has the same corner clips as the smaller square exo terra but no extra clips anywhere else. A 3ft mesh lid is going to be easy to push up from below if it's only fixed by the corners

I guess it's not so easy with the smaller tank
ptmbradley Posted - 04/05/2011 : 00:28:44
Hiya,

It's certainly not easy to do, but middle front and middle back it's possible to push up enough to open up a gap. Whether a corn is strong enough to do that I don't know. I'd be surprised if they could coz like I said it's not easy, but I'd prefer not to risk it so I just got a couple of small clamps on those edges to keep the lid locked shut. Safe as houses now.
Spreebok Posted - 04/05/2011 : 00:21:55
quote:
Originally posted by Katie.Dublin

I personally dont see a weakness! I use them and i cant fault them. They're as secure as they could possibly be with the corner clips up top!

I thought as much, I had a proper go at the lid, so I cant see Lister moving it if I couldn't, with my opposable thumbs and whatnot lol!
Maybe there is an older and newer model, the newer with the lid issue sorted?

Only thing I would change is the way the mesh up top is pinned into the corners, I'd worry about scraped noses, but I'll most likely glob some of ym aquarium silicone on those sharp nooks!
Katie.Dublin Posted - 03/05/2011 : 23:45:14
quote:

Sorry to bump a slightly old topic, but people mention the middle of the lid being a weakness. I just moved Lister into one of these, and pushed and prodded and such, and cant find this. The lid locks with 4 swivelling things, and I cant really push the lid up or down, so can someone pinpoint the weakness for me so I can avoid any great escapes lol!

I personally dont see a weakness! I use them and i cant fault them. They're as secure as they could possibly be withthe corner clips up top!
Spreebok Posted - 03/05/2011 : 23:42:31
Katie.Dublin Posted - 22/04/2011 : 09:58:15
I love my exo terra:) I have two sides covered with a Leinster Rugby flag though, plus it's in the corner against the wall. I like them because of the glass, so its easier to decorate and stick those suction cups onto for plants.
ptmbradley Posted - 22/04/2011 : 03:00:18
quote:
Originally posted by a33272

marmalade often trys to defy gravity by climbing up her plants an crawling accros the roof upside down haha

I just been watching Pandora do exactly that for about 5 minutes! lol Up the glass and across the top! I'm glad Louise mentioned about the lid. Dunno if she's strong enough to lift it in the middle but I'm glad I got the extra clamps on just in case!

lol here she goes again having another recce for an escape route...

I was on my way to bed an hour ago! But staying up to watch this show for a while now! lol
ptmbradley Posted - 21/04/2011 : 21:51:42
OK, it's now got an aquarium surround wrapped around 3 sides. I've also got several plants in there in addition to 3 hides plus the skull. And I've wrapped some ivy around the log. Must admit it looks dead cosy and if there was a human size version I'd happily move in! lol I thought it looked quite nice before. It looks even nicer now. And the mesh lid is very secure using a couple of clips from B&Q. Hopefully it'll lead to a happy snake, which is the only thing that really matters at the end of the day.

Pic here. The light isn't as bright as it appears here.
http://i343.photobucket.com/albums/o442/ptmbradley/snakes/DSC01106copy.jpg
Spreebok Posted - 21/04/2011 : 19:29:39
quote:
so they obviously do enjoy the option to climb even though they are not considered climbers.

Rimmer absolutely loves to climb! He has a branch with a fake plant attached to it, as a sort of cover, and he loves to sit in the leaves/on the branch. I often think he's gotten out, move the branch out only for him to drop out! :)
Invalid User Posted - 21/04/2011 : 14:19:21
I don't mean the height is an issue once bigger, I meant when they are small, it's a big open space, but like I said, many people use them without issues, I just didn't get on with them.
ptmbradley Posted - 21/04/2011 : 14:00:47
yeah I think I'll end up getting some aquarium surround to help close it in more. And no, height is definitely not an issue judging by the way Pandora scaled the background the other day! And I've seen plenty of pics of corns up branches and stuff, so they obviously do enjoy the option to climb even though they are not considered climbers.

The top is well and truly secure as well now with the addition of a couple of clampy type bits I had.
a33272 Posted - 21/04/2011 : 12:29:48
i think the lid is the bigger issue the sides are a simple cover up with aquarium backbround, an high isnt a biggy really well it isnt for marmalade god shes in a 18" tall an often trys to defy gravity by climbing up her plants an crawling accros the roof upside down haha
ptmbradley Posted - 21/04/2011 : 11:58:31
I just pushed the middle and, even though it was hard to do, it's possibly a weakness, so thanks for the heads-up Louise. They could do with another couple of locks ideally. Still, I've got something that should sort that out without looking untidy so will get that fixed in a bit. :)

I actually saw her last night for a few minutes. She moved from the warm hide under the plants, took a drink, and slithered off into the skull, so hopefully she's starting to settle down now. :)
Invalid User Posted - 21/04/2011 : 11:37:27
Mine had four corner locks but she would lift the middle! You may need to cover 3 sides with cardboard, walls aren't usually enough. You say in your other thread the snake doesn't come out, probably because it's too open and it's scared. The glass tanks do look great, no getting away from that but again I think they ae too tall for corns. But like I say just going by my experience with one at it's each to their own at the end of the day. I had a 3.5ft corn in a 3ft glass exo terra and I had it for 4 weeks and never once saw it in there.
ptmbradley Posted - 21/04/2011 : 11:33:30
Glad you like my setup Ailsa. :)

Yes it does have a mesh lid but locks down securely with 4 locks. I've also got mine right in the corner so has 2 sides covered by walls. The 3rd side is covered with plants, so there's not much exposure at all really. :)
Ailsa Posted - 21/04/2011 : 11:32:26
Ah I see your point lou, perhaps not such a good idea then

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000