The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 moving on to furry's

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Lucy1012 Posted - 14/03/2011 : 11:03:10
hi i bought my new corn snake home yesterday, she was due to be fed but let her settle in and fed her on 2 pinkies this morning, which she took with ease. I can't say that they left a huge visable bump in her tummy. I am going out to buy some food today but wanted to get your expert opinions on whether i should buy pinkies or the next size up. She was hatched in July last year. Thanks
17   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Lucy1012 Posted - 14/03/2011 : 22:57:53
thanks for that, i am actually in Thame, we have a pet shop that stocks frozen food :-) Considering i have 2 large breed dogs (an occasionally large litters of pups) 2 British short hair cats, a gerbil, a hamster, 4 fish and now a snake, i will have to tread relatively carefully with my husband. especially as i am currently planning on moving 3 chickens into the garden lol. When The snake with no name gets into a proper viv on a cabinet and is not currently blocking his coffee table he may warm to the idea a little lol.
a33272 Posted - 14/03/2011 : 22:51:42
hi lucy

as ya in oxford im guessing ya either going to use yarnton or evolution if yarnton they get there frozen food stock in on wednesday afternoons so best time to go is thursday or friday
lotabob Posted - 14/03/2011 : 21:27:12
Aww she is a cute little thing. Lovely markings!

They grow so fast you'll be amazed, its lovely to get a hatchling and watch them grow and you can learn their little characters and quirks. I saw a massive growth spurt when I first put Spot on fuzzies so be prepared for your tiny snake to not be tiny for long.

As said before snakes are ridiculously addictive, I got my first in September and number three is arriving the end of the month so prepare to move furniture to fit them in.
sparkaly Posted - 14/03/2011 : 21:12:04
Awwww she is lovely, wont be long before you get another one.
I got my corn about 6 weeks ago then I thought I'd have a quick look on the hognose forum, the quick look turned into hours and hours reading up...........on saturday I picked up my 1st hoggie and now I'm wanting more LOL
Lucy1012 Posted - 14/03/2011 : 13:14:11
I bought her from a young guy who had been keeping snakes for 10 years, he was very good showed me a full grown one and asked after seeing her was I still sure i wanted one. He gave loads of advice but I was in ga ga land at the time lol. He showed me his whole collection and all (to an inexperienced eye) looked very happy and healthy.

I will grab some fuzzy furry dead things ;-) and start with the smallest. I would of liked a bigger snake, but opted for a smaller one to grow alonf with my knowledge and confidence.
gingerpony Posted - 14/03/2011 : 13:07:45
if you go into the shop you could ask them for their smallest fuzzies, or if you're buying 10 or so they'll prolly be a bit of variation in sizes so feed the smaller ones first and work up
Mort13 Posted - 14/03/2011 : 12:59:55
Don't worry about her size too much,they all grow at a different rate.
You'll see her spurt up when she's on fuzzies.
She's lovely by the way.
Sta~ple Posted - 14/03/2011 : 12:55:37
quote:
Originally posted by Lucy1012

Thanks for the welcome, We gave her a little hold when I first got her home to show my kids, but we will be leaving her be from now.

She is smaller than I thought she would be for 8 months, but never having really seen a baby snake I have nothing to compare her too. I haven't weighed her no, she is approx 1.5ft in length and the thickness a little wider than a biro pen, I think.. not much help I know :-)

The bloke I bought her from did mention something about furry's but in the excitement my brain didn't retain the info very well.

It's normal :) By the time she is on fuzzies and 12 months old she will probably be 2ft :)Did you get her from a petshop?
Lucy1012 Posted - 14/03/2011 : 12:43:23
I am already sat here thinking where i could put another, she is currently in a plastic tank thing with a heat mat under on a table in the front room. when she is a little bigger i would like to get a stacking system on a cabinet and make it a feature lol.. He had another baby which I am sooo tempted to get but I just don't have the space at the moment until she is bigger to go in something that can stand alone.. Also with the amount of animals I have already, i should be charging admission into my house ;-)
Invalid User Posted - 14/03/2011 : 11:59:41
Be warned, snakes are so addictive! lol

1 a week should be fine. :)
Lucy1012 Posted - 14/03/2011 : 11:43:44
Thanks, I like her, it was my 30th yesterday and she was a present from my husband, I am smitten lol

I will buy some fuzzy's and see how she goes, luckily i don't have to travel far to get food.. Would I be right in thinking 1 fuzzy per week, would be adequate.
Invalid User Posted - 14/03/2011 : 11:40:09
Aww, yeah I would say give her a fuzzy next meal and see how she gets on.

She is lovely.
Lucy1012 Posted - 14/03/2011 : 11:34:54
I have just put a pic in my signature to give you an idea of size. :-)
Invalid User Posted - 14/03/2011 : 11:29:33
Each snake is different and it does depend more on size than age.

My july 2010 corn is on small mice now but is quite a big boy :)

Lucy1012 Posted - 14/03/2011 : 11:18:45
Thanks for the welcome, We gave her a little hold when I first got her home to show my kids, but we will be leaving her be from now.

She is smaller than I thought she would be for 8 months, but never having really seen a baby snake I have nothing to compare her too. I haven't weighed her no, she is approx 1.5ft in length and the thickness a little wider than a biro pen, I think.. not much help I know :-)

The bloke I bought her from did mention something about furry's but in the excitment my brain didn't retain the info very well.
hiper2009 Posted - 14/03/2011 : 11:12:17
Hi and welcome to the forum , Well i would try her on fuzzy's which is the next size up , I have a amel corn that was hatched last year June and she is currently on fuzzy's now and she has been on this for about a month.

Remmeber to let her settle in for 7days with out handling her and only go in her viv/tank to spot check for pooh and to change wate.
Invalid User Posted - 14/03/2011 : 11:08:51
Hi, if 2 pinkies are not leaving a bulge then yes move up to fuzzies.

Pinkies does seem quite small for a July 10 corn but I guess it depends on size and weight. Do you know how much she weighs?

Oh and welcome to the forum :)

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000