The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 a normally calm snake suddenly striking

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
sarahw Posted - 13/03/2011 : 23:01:20
after 5 snakes later i am still very much learning as i dont believe we can ever know everything there is to know about our pets
i have had my female amel corn since december
she is 6 years old
was a lovely snake we have handled her daily(except after feeding)
the last 2 weeks she has hardly been handled as she has striked out at me and bit, and everytime i go near her she will strike from inside her rub
i am still feeding her weekly with caution in a seperate rub
according to previous owner she last shed in august but there has been no signs of shedding here or any eye colour change
the only thing i can think of is that she is currently being kept in a 2 foot rub which i was given by the previous owner(i was expecting aher to come with her viv)which was 3 foot but the girl said she had to take her out of it and put her in the rub due to needing the viv for another pet, so i just wanted to get the poor snake out of there
i knew that the rub is to small and have been on the look out for a decent viv, i have now ordered her a 3 foot viv which i shall get next week
im hoping that once she has settled in her new home she will be back to her normal calm self and that she is just simply bored at being cooped up
does anyone else think that this is the reason for her being suddenly grumpy
thanks
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sarahw Posted - 14/03/2011 : 21:00:02
she fed on sunday so have left her alone to digest
cant say i have noticed any colour change in her
she feeds very well without fail so i would imagine that she would eat no probs in shed
her temp is 29 and has been the whole time i have had her
it does take one or 2 sheds to get to know the snakes behaviour seeing as i have not had her long then im still learning with this one
herriotfan Posted - 14/03/2011 : 18:05:36
My amel goes a very dull peachy pink. His eyes go cloudy.
Have you checked your thermometer is correct, maybe getting too hot or too cold? That might make a marked difference to temperament.
jonoandapril Posted - 14/03/2011 : 18:01:05
yeah, my amel goes almost pink when shes in shed, the eyes just go really misty yellow. you can really tell when mines in blue, its a hell of a change. reckon it varies between animals?
thistle Posted - 14/03/2011 : 16:58:11
I don't notice much of a change in eye colour when my amel is about to shed. He just goes slightly duller all over, but nothing major.

I tell more by the way he acts, going into hiding, very sensitive to touch, etc.
Mort13 Posted - 14/03/2011 : 13:06:04
Sounds very possible a shed is on its way then with it being a while.
Both of mine feed while in shed,Loki fed when deep in blue last week,little pig!
I'm not sure on the exact colour an amels eyes go when in blue,think its a pale blue/lilac. Their bodies go from orange to a pinkish colour though.
Is she still being stroppy?
sarahw Posted - 14/03/2011 : 10:14:13
thanks for the help lotabob :-)
so hoping that its this
does anyone know what colour an amels eyes will go when in blue?
just wondering if they go a different colour o blue as they are a bit lighter
as both of the snows go a lilac colour
thanks
sarahw Posted - 14/03/2011 : 10:11:20
hi mort
not been on here in ages!
just have not had the time
so when molly started getting grumpy i thought i had better make an apperance
my sons snake can goes off his food while hes in blue but when his eyes clear again he will eat before he sheds, same for our girl snow and baby snow they wont eat untill they have shed even when their eyes go babk to normal
my amel molly is still eating fine so have not thought about her shedding although it has been 6 months since she had a she last so you both may be right
Mort13 Posted - 13/03/2011 : 23:42:20
Hello stranger!! It does sound like she may be getting ready for a shed. Sounds like you may have a less grumpy,more shiny snake soon.
lotabob Posted - 13/03/2011 : 23:26:37
They start to act like a shed is on the way well before the first signs are there, I can spot Spot's behaviour changing about a week before his belly goes milky and that happens about a week before his eyes go. I would say you have a grumpy about to shed snake.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000