The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Raising humidity?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
jimspook Posted - 12/03/2011 : 13:42:21
Just wanted to know any tips on raising the humidity in my faunarium, noticed that this shed is taking quite a while. My little ladies colours turned about a fortnight ago and some of the scale skin has started flaking like peel on a bad suntan. don't think its anything sinister but more down to dryer colder ambient room conditions where she kept now.

Hoping that the water bowl move might do the trick but any other tips would be great. Pics in sig to come once worked out how to do it
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
gingerpony Posted - 14/03/2011 : 13:05:36
just fear of the unknown

jimspook Posted - 14/03/2011 : 11:58:41
Good advice from you guys appreciated. I think I may have been a bit of a worrier and that this time its just a slower shed. Think she'll be blue in the next couple of days judging by the look of the belly scales.
gingerpony Posted - 13/03/2011 : 22:19:53
totally agree with lotabob, no need to bath, or really even handle when your snake is in blue. it can cause undue stress and actually hinder a 'good' shed by making the skin too soggy to peel off cleanly
lotabob Posted - 13/03/2011 : 17:17:05
Its not an issue, there are occasions where a bath is beneficial but for the most part its just not necessary.
jonoandapril Posted - 13/03/2011 : 10:51:09
ah right, didnt realise bathing was an issue. my corn always seems to want to stay in the bath tho? when i put my hand in to give her a way to climb out she just ignores me and swims off. maybe im just reading her wrong.
lotabob Posted - 12/03/2011 : 21:03:28
The fauns don't retain humidity because they are so well ventilated, they will always just be the room humidity. Vivs and RUBs are closed to an extent so you can manipulate the humidity inside them (up and down), the more ventillation the quicker the enclosure reverts back to room humidity. The heat source been at one end causes a circulation of air (cold end air in, hot end air out) so as long as you have ventialtion at both ends then the rest can be covered. They do know what they are doing, if they need added moisture they will go into the moss hide.

I wouldn't bath your snakes when they go milky, it serves no purpose and they are already stressed out when in blue, sticking them in water will only make them worse. If they needed to dunk in water they would sit in their bowls, as a general rule only bath your snake as a last resort in the event of a bad shed. Damp hides should resolve any bad shedding issues and try the pillowcase thing before considering a bath.
jimspook Posted - 12/03/2011 : 17:03:49
First time I have seen peel on individual scales, maybe over dramatising it and it's just a slower shed due to the winter. Just reconfigured my tank and put the mat inside under the substrate and covered half the grid like vents in the lid with a magazine to see if that helps out. Also chucked some moss (damp) in her hide. Will keep posted.
jonoandapril Posted - 12/03/2011 : 16:42:55
iv been having a similar problem with humidity (although no shed issues as such) in my fauns. its a pain because their really well ventalated (mine are anyway, the whole lid is just a grid type thing and theres vents all round the main bit at the top) so it doesnt seem to retain any humidity.
as far as the pillowcase thing, that works really well. give it a bash. i also bath my corns once theyve gone milky just to give them a helping hand.
jimspook Posted - 12/03/2011 : 15:48:09
I haven't actually seen a blue/opaque stage yet and as I handle her everyday I usually do get to see it. Will give the moss trick a go, luckily her favoured hide is a cave so need no to wreck much used tuppawares . Cheers Lotabob for advice
lotabob Posted - 12/03/2011 : 15:03:55
Sounds like a full retained shed, get a small tubberware box or something similar that fits in the faun, cut a hole in it so it turns into a hide and stick spagnum moss in it or a damp cloth. Put it in the warm end and hope snakey uses it.

If the shed is really starting to fall apart a more direct approach would be dampen a pillow case with warm water (think snake warm not bath warm/20-25 degrees) and stick your snake in their and then handle him through the pillow case. Also a bath would help (again watch the temperatures), but some snakes get quite stressed in water.
jimspook Posted - 12/03/2011 : 13:53:55
Sorry should have said that I'd moved the water bowl to the warmer part of the tank.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000