The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 ok is this right ???

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Laws Posted - 11/03/2011 : 17:18:55
so handled my snake today and he was nice and relaxed just chilled moving through my fingers . i put him back and when i put him in the tank , he opened his mouth wide and arched his body abit and coiled it over? it was hard to explain , he was facing where we have the thermostat probe , is it a defensive thing? or something more? abit worried? x
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Laws Posted - 14/03/2011 : 14:08:35
thanks guys , he hasnt done it since def think it was a wretching attempt due to his tummy not settling , have left him be to settle :)
gingerpony Posted - 12/03/2011 : 09:05:31
you can still wretch with an empty stomach.....i'd just leave him be for a while as it's definitely not 'normal' behaviour
Laws Posted - 12/03/2011 : 00:08:24
thats what it seemed to me too , but he has nothing to regurge . we're watching him , but hes staying pretty hidden away in the substrate and not very active at the min . we have the temps rite now and everythin so nothing we are doin now we have fixed the problems we had earlier in the week .
lotabob Posted - 11/03/2011 : 20:05:40
That really does sound like a regurge attempt, When a snake regurges they open their mouth and twist their body to force stuff up. Bit odd when nothing has been eaten. Louise has the advice bit taken care of. Just keep an eye out for any other odd behaviour.
Laws Posted - 11/03/2011 : 18:02:06
yup will do that , we sawpped out blue light for a red one so the light doesnt appear to make it seem like its day all the time too , and will leave him be for now . xx
Invalid User Posted - 11/03/2011 : 17:59:50
Ok that's fair enough but it doesn't sound like a yawn to me. Sounds more like a retching/reflux type thing. I don't even know if snakes yawn as such, will have to look into that in a min lol. I know they appear to yawn when they re-align their jaws after feeing.

Despite what the shop says please do not handle him now for the 10 days or you may end up with another regurge and taking him to a rep shop to be looked at after another one may just stress him out more. He probably just needs some quiet time.
Laws Posted - 11/03/2011 : 17:55:00
okies , thanks lou , called a shop i kno and he said probably him just yawning so not to worry about it for now . and if we have trouble when we come to feed him again then take him back to shop we brought him . im sure all will be fine just seemed abit odd as never seen him do it before xx
Invalid User Posted - 11/03/2011 : 17:48:45
Ok, can't see anything however I have just remembered that you shouldn't be handling him at all for 10 days!

Hi tummy must be allowed to settle again after the regurge. He may have retched after you put him back as the handling disturbed his already sensitive tummy! You must leave him alone, only change his water and do nothing else to him.

Quote from the regurge sticky thread

Having removed the regurgitated food item and cleaned the area basically do NOTHING with the snake for 10 days. This 10 day period allows your snake's digestive system (gut flora) to recover so it can digest its next meal.
Invalid User Posted - 11/03/2011 : 17:41:37
Hmm, I don't know what to say, not something I am familiar with. Will have a look around and see if I can find any info :)
Laws Posted - 11/03/2011 : 17:37:20
he was as normal on his tummy , and facing the stat probe , opened his mouth wide and like it seemed the rest of his body tensed up at the back and rolled like a wave forward if that makes sense? he didnt do the "s" shape , i thought he was going to be sick but he hasnt ate anything to make him throw up
Invalid User Posted - 11/03/2011 : 17:30:16
Hi, how do you mean coiled over? Did he roll onto his back?

When ready to strike or when they feel threatened, they will open their mouth and can hiss, they may rattle their tail too and they will make a sort of tight 's' shape with their neck.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000