The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Snake not wanting heat?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
tofts Posted - 08/03/2011 : 20:18:35
Greets all,

First post of course, but I just have a mild query. I have had my Girly for about 2 years now and shes possible the most docile of creatures I have ever known. I think she is about 4 years, give or take and she is 6'1" Long weiging in about 1050g on average, so fairly large snake. I keep reading everywhere about havng a temp gradient of 20-30C, but yet she doesn't seem interestd. Let em explain...

I converted an old fish tank for her when I got her, (5' x 1.5' x 1.5). But naturally in typical snake fashion she wanted to escape, so I devised an ingenious escape prevention method. Gaffa taping the lid shut, anyway after about 2 months of her battling with the lid naturally the gaffa tape gave in and she escaped. I actually found her curled up inside my pillow, as the tank is right next to my bed. Since the first escape, I then gave up gaffa taping the tank, and instead snake proofed the room. So now, she will frequently be found just about anywhere. Even once decided to curl up inside one of my speakers. My biggest point is that her tank has a heat mat in it sufficent to keep it nice and warm, and invariably it is about 21 one end and considerably warmer on the other. But she is rarely in the tank. I can put her back in the tank and she will stay in there for a day, but will soon be wandering around again even when in the tank, she is VERY rarely on the heat mat, extremely rare. If I turn it off she tends to swap ends a bit more but then still gets out anyway. At first I only put her back in the tank As I was naturally concerned about her drinking. But It turns out she will actually let herself back in side the tank to have a drink and then go back out again! So I just leave her to it. In fairness its quite funny to come home and wonder where she is. As I write this she is cirrently curled up inside my jacket that I left on the sofa....

Anyway, the real question is, has anybody experianced this behaviour before. I mean, shes happy, feeds on the nail ever week or so, very very tame and certainly doesn't mind being handled. The only thing is the room can get down to 15 degrees and sometimes I find her and she is very cold if she happens to be on the floor for instance. Most of the day the room is at least 20c. She obviously chooses this, but I was wondering why, if its ok (well shes being doing it for about 18 months I) and if anybody else had experianced it?

Thanks,

Jody
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
eeji Posted - 08/03/2011 : 23:03:05
snakes are wild animals, they are not naturally confined so that is the reason she keeps getting out if the enclosure isn't secure.

Think of her as like a zoo animal - if the lions enclosure wasn't secure, then they too would be out roaming (and eating people!)
lotabob Posted - 08/03/2011 : 21:44:59
Fish tanks are notoriously difficult to get the temperatures right (compared to purpose built enclosures). The first thing is you need to have any heat source controlled by a thermostat and digital thermometers to set it up and monitor temperatures. Snakes will escape if you give it half a chance, they are not stupid and will test everything for weakness. If the snake never uses the heat mat its too hot so they avoid it like the plague.
mikerichards Posted - 08/03/2011 : 21:37:04
snakes are naturally inquisitive anyway, but the fact that she doesnt like being in the tank should tell you that something is wrong. you dont mention a stat being used on the heatmat, which is probably why she doesnt go on it.
i am sure having a snake roaming the house is fun, but one day you will slip up, and she will be out, then you have lost her, and she will then most likely get attacked by a cat, dog or a fox, and all because you didnt give her the secure home she needed.
using a fish tank is not a great idea, the clues in the name really, its designed for fish, not snakes, so get yourself and her a nice viv, with a thermostat, set the temps up properly and make sure she stays in, for her own benefit, that and at least you know you can clean the mess up easily, and dont have to hunt for it first.

6'1 is an epic size for a corn, they rarely get that big, so stick some pics up!!! would be good to see.
Red123 Posted - 08/03/2011 : 21:27:41
Why don't you just get her a vivarium then you can put a lock on the viv doors and you will know exactly where she is all the time. Think I would be a little concerned that she could harm herself roaming around the room.
tofts Posted - 08/03/2011 : 21:13:38
Update!

Just put snake back in tank after having been n my jacket. No more than a minute has passed and she has now got back out of tank.

Would make one think there is a porblem with the tank, but I mite spray it every week (and her too) as a preventative measure, and it gets cleaned out about every 6 weeks or so? Well its never dirty as shes not in it, besides she almost allways poos outside the tank!

Thinking about it, about the only time she stays in the tank for more than a couple of days is when she is going to shed her skin. As soon as she has finished, out she goes again....

Bless her!

Jody

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000