The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Substrate

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Ailsa Posted - 07/03/2011 : 12:15:42
I was in my local Pets at home, was just passing, anyways was looking at the accessories for my corn - you know water dish, fake plants, food tweezers etc, anyway I seen they have aspen substrate and was asking their frozen food and other stuff. I noticed that they had sand next to the aspen and I was wondering if sand is suitable for my wee corn? For when I get my wee snakey lol.

Cheers very helpful folks on here
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
gmac Posted - 07/03/2011 : 16:24:56
have a read through this thread give information on suitable substrates http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1876
mikerichards Posted - 07/03/2011 : 13:09:51
Sand is a bad idea for a couple of reasons, first and foremost, it can cause the mother of all impactions, difficult to clear, and can rupture internals.
Secondly, its not as easy to move on, especially fine sand.
Another downside is that it can hold loads of water, and doesn't release to evaporation very quickly.
Aspen is the stuff of choice mostly, I use horse bedding as we can do the rats and mice all the same, and its cheap, 8 quid for a 20kg bag.
Invalid User Posted - 07/03/2011 : 12:24:30
No, sand is not suitable. Aspen is much better although there are other options. Also some people used Megazorb or Abuoise (horse bedding) as it's very cheap for a huge sack and does a good job as a substrate.

I only use aspen for one of my corns. The rest of mine are on kitchen roll!

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000